26 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Re: ipod classic 160gb..bad sound quality?
manicm:

I would still say, unless you absolutely need the 160gb capacity, avoid the current Classic. It's too stodgy, slow and outdated.

Ouch!
(as a classic user)

Still I cant argue that its overkill for 128kbps tracks and yes a touch is much "cooler" - for the kids and that.

Still comparing the experience of using my classic against my iphone for music, I'd hardly call the classic slow or outdated.

IMHO - of course!

I mean you cant play games on it or use spotty-geek-fi/lastfm

Clare Newsome's picture
manicm:
Clare Newsome:

I'm going to be brutally honest here. If you're listening at 128Kbps, the quality of your player is one of your least concerns! In fact, the better the product, the more likely it is to show up the ultra-compressed music files.

If you re-ripped all your music in Lossless (even 320Kbps) format and upgraded to that 160GB Classic (with decent headphones), you should hear a massive performance upgrade.

Sorry if that's not the advice you're after (sounds like you've got a big library to rip!), but i'm being cruel to be kind  Big Smile

Hand on heart Clare, this having being said, on my very first iPod, the Mini way back in 2004, I ripped to 128k AAC and the sound was brilliant - you should have The Who's Tommy on it - the imaging was unbelievable. The fact is Apple has over the years shoved in inferior DACs onto their iPods - and admitted the very first Shuffle was at the time the best sounding Pod!

I truly believe the 'fatty' Nano was the last truly great sounding 'Pod, haven't heard the latest one though.

No iPod has sounded as good as my first MP3 player, in pre-Apple, late-1990s times - or so my nostalgic brain tells me.  It sounded amazing with 128Kbps files...at the time, because there was nothing to compare it to Big Smile

Creative Jukebox 

Wouldn't swap back to it from my iPod Touch, though  Wink

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

Andy Clough's picture

Ooh, I had one of those too! Was a bit cumbersome for the gym, mind.

Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Before becoming an apple bore (or should that be who*e?) I had real faith in creative.
I bought two of the tiny NuVo Mp3 players and really avoided Apple like the plague.

Sadly, they never really took off. The interface on the device was clunky (three menus deep to pick a playlist), software was a pain and there was little support for the device (docks, etc) outside of Creative.

In the end I succumbed and went Apple and I've never looked back.

Sometimes its just too much effort to buck the trend!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
manicm:

I would still say, unless you absolutely need the 160gb capacity, avoid the current Classic. It's too stodgy, slow and outdated.

It's great, massive capacity with ripped lossless and I love it! Horses for courses.....

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
ashworth_rich:Before becoming an apple bore (or should that be who*e?) I had real faith in creative. I bought two of the tiny NuVo Mp3 players and really avoided Apple like the plague. Sadly, they never really took off. The interface on the device was clunky (three menus deep to pick a playlist), software was a pain and there was little support for the device (docks, etc) outside of Creative. In the end I succumbed and went Apple and I've never looked back. Sometimes its just too much effort to buck the trend!

Likewise, even down to the two Creative Nuvos, what I do like about them is the USB compatability.

I also have a Creative X-Fi sound card which is great.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Childs1962:ashworth_rich:Before becoming an apple bore (or should that be who*e?) I had real faith in creative. I bought two of the tiny NuVo Mp3 players and really avoided Apple like the plague. Sadly, they never really took off. The interface on the device was clunky (three menus deep to pick a playlist), software was a pain and there was little support for the device (docks, etc) outside of Creative. In the end I succumbed and went Apple and I've never looked back. Sometimes its just too much effort to buck the trend!

Likewise, even down to the two Creative Nuvos, what I do like about them is the USB compatability.

I also have a Creative X-Fi sound card which is great.

Yep, looked at one of those too (the soundcard), nice spec on them. Not sure they are HiFi? But they must be as close as you can get in a PC (except for using the USB out and a DAC).

I no longer even own a personal PC (I use work laptop to sync itunes on and to rip CDs). I survive with an iphone and ipad for typing.

But I digress....

Back on topic, I'd recommend a classic. Is the DAC as good as previous models - cant say, but the consensus seems to be no. If you dont need the capacity or like playing games, get a Touch. Then again, why not jsut get a 32GB iphone 4 on contract? Less outlay, same hardware (I assume) and its one less thing to carry/sync.

Lee H's picture
ashworth_rich:Then again, why not jsut get a 32GB iphone 4 on contract? Less outlay, same hardware (I assume) and its one less thing to carry/sync.

Which is why I have one. It's just one less device to carry. There are better sounding portable music players from other manufacturers out there, but for me the compromise was only needing to carry one device.  If you don't mind carrying two, then the world doesn't have to be Apple shaped.

justintuijl's picture
RE: ipod classic 160gb..bad sound quality?

I have finally sold my 7th generation ipod classic as for years it has been getting me down with the lack of bass.

I used to have a creative zen which, with the same mp3's, was a far superiour sound quality, not just bass but the whole shibooble.

I do not do music on the move and if I did I would go with mp3's on my Samsung Gallaxy (which by the way does sound better than the ipod)

At home I have my laptop running through an m-audio fast-track pro external soundcard and into my proper stereo. I used to have just the ipod inplace of the lappy and soundcard, but after comparing ipod with lappy/sound card there is no doubt that bass and general soundquality are poor from the ipod. One thing that did improve the ipod was to have it plugged into aa official apple dock. But the improvement was not enough.

I tried many things but in the end the best option is to let the ipod go.

toyota man's picture
RE: Re: ipod classic 160gb..bad sound quality?

Hi rgill90 I have 3 ipod  Classics160G which I use while on the road I have 1 which I use in my Jag which plays through a Meridian 825W surround system 1which I use in my Toyota Auris and 1 I use in my works van all 3 are loaded with Apple lossless files and they sound great in all 3 cases much better in the Jag so buy with confidence 

Musical Fidelity M6500i Musical FidelityM6 CDP ATC SCM 40s Cord Chameleon plus XLRs Tellurium Q Black speaker cables

Pages