29 posts / 0 new
Last post
neilmistry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/02/2010 - 08:07
Posts: 72
Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

My iPod which is just under 2 years old is having problems.  It's been well looked after (never dropped) and has been used for several hours a day, almost every work-day.   The problem I'm having is that I can't copy a single album onto it without it crashing (the hard drive just clicks away and eventually get an error message) which then results in me having to resynch my entire library (140gb worth).  Once fully synched though, it seems to play just fine.  I've taken to an Apple store (and although they didn't run any diagnostics on it) they have said the hard disk is dying and to replace it will cost £94.  I've found details on how to run the diagnostics myself and I do believe that the hard disk is suffering from write failures.

 

I'm reluctant to replace the hard drive as it may well fail again in future, so I'm thinking of going for a 16gb Nano and keeping the classic for use at home on my Zeppelin.   I won't  be transferring any more music to it now that I have fully synched it again.  I had a listen to a Nano yesterday and I was really impressed with the sound quality. I use my iPod on the daily train jouneys as well as in the office.  I realise that I will have to regularly refresh the Nano but I estimate that with my collection (a mixture of 320kbs and Apple Lossless) I should be able to get around 70-80 albums on there.

 

Does anyone have any comments regarding the Nano or perhaps any other suggestions?  Apple seemed quite dismissive.  Less than 2 years seems a pretty poor life for such an item.  I love their products, by I'm pretty disappointed by this one.

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 5 days ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2453
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

neilmistry wrote:

My iPod which is just under 2 years old is having problems.  It's been well looked after (never dropped) and has been used for several hours a day, almost every work-day.   The problem I'm having is that I can't copy a single album onto it without it crashing (the hard drive just clicks away and eventually get an error message) which then results in me having to resynch my entire library (140gb worth).  Once fully synched though, it seems to play just fine.  I've taken to an Apple store (and although they didn't run any diagnostics on it) they have said the hard disk is dying and to replace it will cost £94.  I've found details on how to run the diagnostics myself and I do believe that the hard disk is suffering from write failures.

 

I'm reluctant to replace the hard drive as it may well fail again in future, so I'm thinking of going for a 16gb Nano and keeping the classic for use at home on my Zeppelin.   I won't  be transferring any more music to it now that I have fully synched it again.  I had a listen to a Nano yesterday and I was really impressed with the sound quality. I use my iPod on the daily train jouneys as well as in the office.  I realise that I will have to regularly refresh the Nano but I estimate that with my collection (a mixture of 320kbs and Apple Lossless) I should be able to get around 70-80 albums on there.

 

Does anyone have any comments regarding the Nano or perhaps any other suggestions?  Apple seemed quite dismissive.  Less than 2 years seems a pretty poor life for such an item.  I love their products, by I'm pretty disappointed by this one.

Less than 2 years is awful. My creative zen is several years old and still going strong. If you want an ultra portable, I have a Sandisk Sansa clip+ which is very cheap, very small, easy to use and sounds good. It can easily be upgraded to 24gb
bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12820
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

Where did you buy it from? According to Sale of Goods Act & EU Law, your retailer (& not the manufacturer) is responsible for repairs of this item. The hard drive should be replaced free of charge. Contact Consumer Direct for advice.

SnowyJohn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 6 days ago
Joined: 17/11/2009 - 12:06
Posts: 236
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

Hi, I understand your disappointment but unfortunately the blame is not really with Apple per say, the same would go for any other portable music player manufacturer.  All disk-type drives will fail eventually, even server grade ones.  The music player manufacturers often do not manufacture the actual hard drives.  You may be considered a little unfortunate that yours has died in 2 years, but it was always destined to happen.  Apple offer high quality and well engineered products, the iPods are a testiment to that, but they are always going to depend on what technology is on offer.

 

The move to steady-state (flash) drives should see these devices "living" longer.  I would suggest that an ipod touch is better value for money as it can do so much more than a nano, but if you already have a smartphone that makes use of apps etc then the nano might be perfect.

 

Regards

Timbot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 07/06/2010 - 21:33
Posts: 200
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

I've seen videos on a popular website for people to upload videos to (I've linked to this site before and had my post edited due to profanities in the comments left by other people below the video...) which show how to remove and replace the HD in an iPod video (5th gen).

I've dismantled mine in the past as it stopped working and found the battery connector wasn't in properly. It was fine after I put it back together (until I lost it...)

 

If it's not working properly then you've not much to loose but I guess it'd be a pain if it destroyed it (please don't come knocking on my door if you try it and it breaks!)

 

On a slightly different note, I had a 5th gen Ipod (as I mentioned above I've now lost it) and I have an iPhone 4 (which thankfully I haven't lost... yet...) I get really annoyed at the iPhone as I can't come even slightly close to fitting my entire library on it and I miss not having everything when I want it- can't be spontaneous if a song choice pops into my head.

 

Hope this helps!

neilmistry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/02/2010 - 08:07
Posts: 72
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

The iPod was bought from Amazon.  I might well contact them but I suspect they might say the same as Apple - hard drives will eventually fail.  Apple said they would have replaced it if it was under 12 months old.

 

I have just bought an iPhone 4, but it's the 8gb model so not enough storage for much music, although ok as a stop gap.  The Nano would be a good solution and it so small so easy to carry around.  I was really impressed with the sound (testing it out using my own earphones) and although not big enough to store my entire collection, it's still big enough for a good selection.  I know the Classic 5g is regarded as the best sounding iPod, but I have to say I thought the Nano sounded better - deeper bass and crisper top-end.  Although the Touch does look good, there's too much overlap with the iPhone.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12820
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

Contact Amazon....you may just be pleasantly surprised.

Last year, my 18-month old Sony Vaio developed a motherboard problem. I contacted Amazon on the phone, & told them that Sony advised me to contact them as per Sale of Goods Act (I had to put this somewhere). Amazon refunded me the entire amount without asking a question. I returned my faulty laptop to them. I then bought another laptop with the money.

Hard drives don't normally fail within 2 years. Most manufacturers offer a 5 year guarantee on hard drives.

neilmistry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/02/2010 - 08:07
Posts: 72
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

Contacted Amazon who said that they only cover electronic items for 12 months.  They said that despite me sending a standard letter/email quoting Sale Of Goods Act.

 

Oh well, a new Nano it is then and I'll keep the Classic until it truly dies - it plays fine now that it has been fully resynched, but I know if I try and copy a single album to it, it will just click away, fail to update and then say the iPod is empty.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

I would take it to the local Apple store. There have been some stories of them being very very generous.

failing that, there is a "how to" here...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/technical-articles/274-a-secrets-technical-article.html

neilmistry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/02/2010 - 08:07
Posts: 72
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

snivilisationism wrote:

I would take it to the local Apple store. There have been some stories of them being very very generous.

failing that, there is a "how to" here...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/technical-articles/274-a-secrets-technical-article.html

 

I took it in before to let their 'Genius' take a look as I was told they would run it through some diagnostics, but he didn't even turn it on and told me I need to get the hard drive replaced.  They were quite dismissive.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12897
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

neilmistry wrote:

snivilisationism wrote:

I would take it to the local Apple store. There have been some stories of them being very very generous.

failing that, there is a "how to" here...

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/technical-articles/274-a-secrets-technical-article.html

 

I took it in before to let their 'Genius' take a look as I was told they would run it through some diagnostics, but he didn't even turn it on and told me I need to get the hard drive replaced.  They were quite dismissive.

Given you confirmed that diagnosis yourself what else did you expect them to say?

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 5 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12820
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

neilmistry wrote:

Contacted Amazon who said that they only cover electronic items for 12 months.  They said that despite me sending a standard letter/email quoting Sale Of Goods Act.

 

Oh well, a new Nano it is then and I'll keep the Classic until it truly dies - it plays fine now that it has been fully resynched, but I know if I try and copy a single album to it, it will just click away, fail to update and then say the iPod is empty.

That's strange, because even a laptop is an electrical item. Don't allow yourself to be fobbed off. you have more rights than you think. Check this example.

Contact Consumer Direct for advice.

SnowyJohn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 6 days ago
Joined: 17/11/2009 - 12:06
Posts: 236
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

bigboss wrote:

Check this example.

That's a great example and raises some really interesting customer rights education issues. Unfortunately, it's not quite as easy to walk up to a manager at Amazon and refuse to leave unless he gets an answer from HQ - something eRetailers are no doubt very aware of.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

I would go back to the Apple store, mention the rules, and that you are posting to WHF about it. DOn't give in. That's what they want.

neilmistry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/02/2010 - 08:07
Posts: 72
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

I contacted Amazon again (as they sold it and therefore the Sale of Goods Act applies to them and not Apple) and mentioned that the warranty is up is irrelevant.  They are currently investigating, so keeping my fingers crossed.  

 

I also contacted Consumer Direct via their webiste but they don't think they have any obligation since it's outside the warranty.

neilmistry's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/02/2010 - 08:07
Posts: 72
RE: Dying iPod Classic (5th Gen)

Well, Amazon gave me the 2 fingers, since I had been using it up until now (23 months) without any problems.  So what's the point in having a 2 year rule if retailers ignore it?!  :wall:

Pages

Log in or register to post comments