Have your say & ask the experts!

Reps at Manchester 2010

26 replies [Last post]
Seventh's picture

I know it's nothing to do with the quality of the equipment, but sometimes the reps at these shows make such a huge difference.

Case in point: Cognoscenti Hifi (room 30cool rep was amazingly helpful, enthusiastic, knowledgeable and accommodating (he let me put my own CD on their system, even after it was clear I couldn't afford any of their kit). The people at Henley Designs (room 207) were great too, welcoming and very honest and helpful. Same for Dynaudio (room 113), absolutely great experience in there.

The flipside are the disinterested or condescending reps. I mean, I know I'm a young(ish) girl who can't rattle off full specs of every piece of kit in the room, and I know I don't have as much cash to chuck away as many of the other people there today but there's no need for comments like "I won't bother telling you the technicalities because it'll just go over your head". What the hell? I was actually really interested in that set but pretty much walked straight out the door after that.

Any one else notice any themes with the reps and presenting staff at these events? 

PJPro's picture
Re: Reps at Manchester 2010

Yeah, funny isn't it? Hardly the way to make a deal and probably turned you off the brand for life. You'd have thought they would've welcomed an opportunity to talk to a young lady with an interest in their product after talking to the scruffy herberts you usually see at the shows.

I had a similar experience with Chord Electronics at the woeful London show. Some jumped up, tin pot sales rep trying to baffle me with nonsense. Making ludicrous statements. Calling me old! I was actually quite angry towards the end of our discussion and I think he could tell Wink

My useful(?) What HiFi Forum threads can be found here.

Andrew Everard's picture

Please feel free to name and shame, Seventh...

Audio Editor, Gramophone

Seventh's picture

heh, I wasn't sure if that was appropriate... Still, if you insist!

I think the very condescending comment above was made in the Spendor room. Totally turned me off the product, which is a shame because it was one of the rooms I specifically wanted to go to. KEF too; no one seemed bothered about coming over to help me, even though it wasn't busy at all so I just walked out. And I found the Denon room very unhelpful, the guy I was speaking with made me feel like I was wasting his time "it's all in the brochure really". oh is it? then why, after reading your shiny brochure, did I still need to come here to ask you for more information about it? If you don't know, tell me so! I won't mind!

I don't want to seem whiny, I had a really fantastic time at the show! Have pretty much picked out all my kit now (and yes, it's nearly all from people who had helpful reps!), roll on payday! I appreciate too, that it's crazybusy in there and often the reps just can't get round to everyone or they're tired or whatever. And I just want to say thank you again to the people mentioned above for being so welcoming, it makes such a difference!

(Still buzzing from hearing my music coming out of an audio system that probably costs more than everything I own put together.... Fantastic!)

dirtydean's picture

Me and my 7 year old boy had a great time at the show to day, a real eye opener when it comes to high end equipment. I also had mixed encounters with the reps, for example, Clearer Audio were great, very welcoming they even said they will honour the show price for a week while I make up my mind. And most of the others were great too even going out of there way to entertain my boy. BUT the one room I was looking forward to the most (Monitor Audio) I felt pushed a side and ignored, after recently buying the R270HD and ordering the R225HD I wanted to have a chat with a rep to see how I can get the most from them. The rep who I spoke to just gave me mainly yes, no answers and then half way through trying to speak to him an other rep from the next room came along and said "can I but in this gentleman wants to to ask you about some speakers" at witch point he turned his back on me and that was that. But over all loved the show. Thanks to all involved.
Dean

My system  Samsung LE-40F86BD, Denon 3311, Sony BDP S370, PS3 500gb, Virgin TIVO, Frount - MA R270HD, Center - MA R225 HD, Rear - MA R90HD, Sub - MA RXW-12, Logitech Harmony one, WD 1tb hard drive

Soopafly49's picture

I think the only thing i didn't like was in the REL room i think where they had a projector with 3 subs and speakers. Maybe i'm wrong but they kept doing demos of the speakers with out the ' sub's ' and then with. I am the only one who noticed the other two subs were still going when it  was supposed to be with no subs.

DIB
DIB's picture

Funnily enough I had quite a nice chat with one of the guys in the Spendor room (the scruffy one who looked like a roadie) about the A5 speakers and he was pretty helpful. Had the best music on of all the rooms I went in as well.

Creek Evolution 5350 amp with Sequel 40 phonostage -  Creek Evolution 2 CDP - Squeezebox Touch 

Pro-Ject 2-Xperience Classic Acryl with 2M Blue

Epos Elan 30s - Van Damme SC & Epiphany Atratus ICs

Pistol Pete1's picture

I noticed that the reps were smiley enough, with a few approaching me, but......

if a mate turned up, that was it........

......off to chat and have a laugh with them instead!!!!Indifferent

Great sales technique.....Tongue Tied

AV: Panny TX-P50X60B | Denon AVR2310 | KEF Q100/Q200/3001SE Eggs | AE Radiance Sub | Panasonic BDT320 | Humax HDR-FoxT2 | Xbox/Kinect | Various Chord cables | Tacima CS929

Hifi: Marantz CD63MKII KI | Marantz PM6004 | Tacima CS929 | Chord Odyssey 2

Alantiggger's picture
DIB:

Funnily enough I had quite a nice chat with one of the guys in the Spendor room (the scruffy one who looked like a roadie) about the A5 speakers and he was pretty helpful. Had the best music on of all the rooms I went in as well.

What's a bet that DIB is scruffy and looks like a roadie      Stick out tongue          Smile

Lounge :  Samsung PS51E6500, Sony BDP S790, Virgin media XL with HD Sports Channels (BT &Sky),  Yamaha RX-V673.

Tannoy Arena 5.1 with stands.(http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-arena-96472/review)

Bedroom: Panasonic PX70 TV and a Sony BDP-370 Blu ray Player & Kitsound Boomdock.  (quite superb for sound)

So far  :)

DIB
DIB's picture

Creek Evolution 5350 amp with Sequel 40 phonostage -  Creek Evolution 2 CDP - Squeezebox Touch 

Pro-Ject 2-Xperience Classic Acryl with 2M Blue

Epos Elan 30s - Van Damme SC & Epiphany Atratus ICs

clearer_audio's picture
dirtydean:
I also had mixed encounters with the reps, for example, Clearer Audio were great, very welcoming they even said they will honour the show price for a week while I make up my mind.

Hi Dean

Thank you for coming and seeing us. We try to be friendly and welcoming so it is nice to known you had a good experience with us.

All the best,

Darren
chebby's picture
Seventh:
The flipside are the disinterested or condescending reps. I mean, I know I'm a young(ish) girl who can't rattle off full specs of every piece of kit in the room, and I know I don't have as much cash to chuck away as many of the other people there today but there's no need for comments like "I won't bother telling you the technicalities because it'll just go over your head". What the hell? I was actually really interested in that set but pretty much walked straight out the door after that.

Whoa! That is disgraceful.

Phone the 'guilty' company as soon as possible and complain about the way you were spoken to by their representative. Tell them the details. (They'll know who it is i'm sure.) Somebody will hopefully get a crash course in customer relations/21st century realities/economics/basic courtesy and a few other things besides!

Spendor is the sort of company that often enjoys customers who stick with them for decades. Putting off a potential customer could lose them many future sales.

Make it clear you have posted your bad experience on a popular hifi website.

I have 18 and 25 year-old daughters and I am angry at the thought that either of them would experience the same reaction you got and amazed at the rep's lack of business instinct.

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Pete Shields's picture

Was very impressed with the Sonos rep.

I got to the show early on Saturday when it wasn't that busy. Whilst I was waiting for the 3D demo from WHF, I had a long chat with the Sonos rep, who showed me the system and more importantly gave some great tips for my system.

Wasn't really buying anything new and he knew that, but he spent time with me demonstrating the Ipad application - I think that's the family xmas present sorted! 

scene's picture
Pete Shields:

Wasn't really buying anything new and he knew that, but he spent time with me demonstrating the Ipad application - I think that's the family xmas present sorted! 

What an iPad, or just a download of the free app Wink

Seriously - love to hear the tips from the Sonos rep (in a more appropriate thread)...

Hi Fi: Arcam A85, DV88 (CD only), Project Debut II, Sonos ZP90, AE Compact-1.  AV: Arcam AVR250, DV79, Sony BDP-S760, Monitor Audio Silver 8i, RS-LCR, RXFX, Sonos ZP90, Pioneer KRP500A.  2nd AV: Pioneer SX-SWR2, Dell Zino HD, KEF KHT2005.2 eggs, Sonos ZP90.  Cables: That Cable HDMI, Chord Crimsons, CAT6 backbone  Sonos S5s in the bedrooms

Hi,

It's a real shame that you were treated in such a condescending way, but speaking as someone who's been working in the hifi industry for a reasonable length of time (10 years or so) it's unfortunately not that big a surprise. There seems to be an entrenched attitude that anyone other than the old guard of bag carrying, brochure collecting old guys is somehow "an enemy!" Personally, I thought it was fantastic that there were so many women, couples, and younger people at the show.

As an industry, if we aren't willing to welcome new people into this fantastic world we call hifi, then we might as well pack up and go home, after all, it's you who are going to be buying the products that keep us in a job in future...

Oh, and as for rattling of specs - most of the reps who enjoy doing that wouldn't know a good piece of music if it bit them!

Hopefully this experience won't dissuade you from attending more shows in future - we're not all the same!Smile

Cheers,

Andrew Everard's picture
killalldinosaurs!:
as someone who's been working in the hifi industry for a reasonable length of time (10 years or so)

... could you please make clear what it is you do in your signature, in accordance with House Rules? Thanks...

Audio Editor, Gramophone