Have your say & ask the experts!

What Hi Fi article from early 1990's about readers HI-FI....

19 replies [Last post]
pete9012s's picture

Hi All.

Does anyone remember a what hi-fi article about readers hi-fi in the early 1990's....

The one I have in mind was about a young lad (I think his name was Lee something??)...

Anyway, he was about 15 or so and had a Linn  separates system ......(he had the speakers resprayed at great cost in I think red?..)

The kit was in his small bedroom and cost him  about 8-10k???..!!!..he said he was going to spend the rest of his days upgrading his hi-fi regardless of the cost!!

Ive always wondered what happened to him,and what hi-fi he has today..( he looked a bit like a handsome Joe 90 or the milky bar kid...or the proclaimers younger brother...)

Its a long time ago I know,and I could go down to my cellar and try and trawl through my old issues,but maybe this description may jog a few memories???.....who knows he may even be a member of these forums!![:)]

Regards

Pete

Andy Clough's picture
Re: What Hi Fi article from early 1990's about readers HI-FI....

Crikey, you've got a good memory Pete9012! Reader Rescue, I believe it was called, but I'm afraid I don't recall that particular one.

Andy Clough is Editor-in-Chief of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and whathifi.com

Twitter @AndrewClough

Google+ Andy Clough

chebby's picture
pete9012s:
Anyway, he was about 15 or so and had a Linn separates system ......(he had the speakers resprayed at great cost in I think red?..)

The kit was in his small bedroom and cost him about 8-10k???..!!!..he said he was going to spend the rest of his days upgrading his hi-fi regardless of the cost!!

Andy Clough:
Crikey, you've got a good memory Pete9012! Reader Rescue, I believe it was called,

Was that the one where WHF 'rescued' him by advising him to sell the system and get a life?

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

pete9012s's picture
Andy Clough:
Crikey, you've got a good memory Pete9012! Reader Rescue, I believe it was called, but I'm afraid I don't recall that particular one.

Right its down to the cellar then to dig the article and what HI-FI issue out.......Sad

Regards Pete

cstanwhf's picture

I remembered his mom was the one who had to take a loan or morgage something to pay for his hifi or just his speakers.

His speakers was a Monitor Audio stand mounted model. Can't recall the model (Studio 1 or 1SE maybe?). He had Monitor Audio specially customised the finish for him. Remebered it is finished in glossy red. His speakers alone was quite expensive.

Don't think it was under the reader resuce section either (not yet started on the mag). More like a special artical about the kid with his expensive speakers.

Also remember that the mom said something like the money is his son and WHF mentioned not quite or not really (since his mom was the one who took a loan or morgage). 

Clare Newsome's picture

Well it sounds like one to look out for when we start our archive trawl ahead of this year's 35th anniversary of the magBig Smile

Group Marketing & PR Manager - Computers Unlimited;

Former Group Editor of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision and Whathifi.com

Twitter: @ClareNewsome

cstanwhf's picture

Have to say that his Monitor Audio stand mount speakers should look stunning in glossy red as far as I can remember.

audioaffair's picture

I love reading old hi-fi magazines ... we still have some of the very first from the 1980s in slightly larger than A5 format with cassette deck tests etc, all beautifully done.

Nick Slater (Store Manager)

AudioAffair, now including Faithful Audio

fatboyslimfast's picture

I picked up an old 1972 mag from a boot sale (think it was hifi news or similar) and there is a picture of a girl on the front putting a record on, next to a huge home-built graphic equaliser.

Inside it says something along the lines of "of course a young lady such as this will more than likely have no interest or knowledge of what constitutes a good sound"...Indifferent

Sources: Technics SL1210Mk2 with Denon DL110/AT-95E, Mac Mini, Virgin V+.

Amplification: Cyrus 2.

Speakers: Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearls with Fisual Super Pearl 2.5mm cable.

Other kit: More than I should have. My loft is creaking.

mitch65's picture
RE: I remember when...

pete9012s wrote:

Hi All.

Does anyone remember a what hi-fi article about readers hi-fi in the early 1990's....

The one I have in mind was about a young lad (I think his name was Lee something??)...

Anyway, he was about 15 or so and had a Linn  separates system ......(he had the speakers resprayed at great cost in I think red?..)

The kit was in his small bedroom and cost him  about 8-10k???..!!!..he said he was going to spend the rest of his days upgrading his hi-fi regardless of the cost!!

Ive always wondered what happened to him,and what hi-fi he has today..( he looked a bit like a handsome Joe 90 or the milky bar kid...or the proclaimers younger brother...)

Its a long time ago I know,and I could go down to my cellar and try and trawl through my old issues,but maybe this description may jog a few memories???.....who knows he may even be a member of these forums!![:)]

Regards

Pete

I do remember one article about a lad who lived at home with his parents and spent that sort of money on a Naim CD based system. the only reason your post rang a bell were the resprayed speakers. I also remember that he was not entirely satisfied with the sound (no pleasing some people Sad( ) and looking at changing to vinyl.

Rotel RCD-965BX

Spotify - Yamaha R-N500 Network Receiver

Denon TU-260LII

NAC A5 - Spendor SA-1

AKG K551

pete9012s's picture

Yes that was the one........it  was a Naim system you are right....how on earth did his his hi-fi trip to nirvana develop....I would just love to see how his hi-fi experience developed if he could ever be tracked down....wonder if he still has those sexy red speakers!!!!Smile

Regards

Pete

mitch65's picture

pete9012s wrote:

Yes that was the one........it  was a Naim system you are right....how on earth did his his hi-fi trip to nirvana develop....I would just love to see how his hi-fi experience developed if he could ever be tracked down....wonder if he still has those sexy red speakers!!!!Smile

Regards

Pete

Probably took out a mortgage on his latest purchase

Rotel RCD-965BX

Spotify - Yamaha R-N500 Network Receiver

Denon TU-260LII

NAC A5 - Spendor SA-1

AKG K551

pete9012s's picture

I found the original article whilst pottering in the cellar looking for the instructions for my sony portable mini disc!

The article was in the DECEMBER 1992 WHAT HI-FI  entitled 'INTERVIEW- YOUR SYSTEMS' pages 66 & 67

The young lad interviewed was called Lee Baigent,aged 17.

He bought an £8500 system from an Uxbridge dealer comprising:

NAIM CDS PLAYER.....

NAIM NAC72 preamp.....

pair NAIM NAP135 monoblocs.....

LINN K400 cable......

red MONITOR AUDIO STUDIO 5 speakers

Lee's future hi-fi dreams included a list of ten serious upgrades to his system....

starting with a pair of Stax Lambda headphones at £1370 plus £895 for the SRM-T1 energiser to make them work!!!...

A CDR machine starting then at £4000....

and finishing with a NAKAMICHI DRAGON tape deck at £1850...

The article concluded....

'How much more will he spend on his system?

Where will he stop?

''It depends how much money I can get,''he replies.''If I had a job earning £50,000 a year,I'd probably spend £40-50,000 putting together a system.

Some people spend money on clothes,I spend it on hi-fi.I work for my money,and hi-fi's what I want to spend it on.''

And to confirm that sentiment,Lee is already drawing up a mental list of his next purchases,and top of the list is a bigger room.

Don't worry he'll get it.....

I always wondered  how  Lee's hi-fi journey unfolded.and indeed where he currently is in the world of hi-fi!!.

ps

(Wasnt sure whether it was allowed to scan the article and post a link here?-or maybe our faithful administrator may be able to provide an official link or post a copy of the article now that we have found it....????

Regards

Pete

pete9012s's picture
RE: What Hi Fi article from early 1990's about readers HI-FI....

Could this Lee Baigent be the same Lee Baigent from this article I wonder????

Lee Baigent

http://www.facebook.com/lee.baigent

It would be great if we could get a message to him and ask him if he is the same Lee who inspired this article!!Laughing

True Blue's picture

pete9012s wrote:

Lee Baigent

It would be great if we could get a message to him and ask him if he is the same Lee who inspired this article!!Laughing

Thats got to be close to stalking surely

Sources: Rega P7+Exact through Stagleine n Rega Saturn / w4S Sonos - Naim Dac Chord Signature Pre: NAC 282 / Hicap DR / NAPSCPower: NAP 200Speakers: PMCGB1i wired with NACA5

CnoEvil's picture

True Blue wrote:

pete9012s wrote:

Lee Baigent

Thats got to be close to stalking surely

That just leaves phone hacking then! Sad

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide