Have your say & ask the experts!

Now I know why the 1970s left a nasty taste...

11 replies [Last post]
plastic penguin's picture

K-Tel records. In fact anything from K-Tel: Brush 'o' Matic; A weird bottle opener...

Back to records, who remembers a series of compilation LPs called 'Top Of The Pops'. For those of you under 40 it's a little like 'Now...' albums. But these had non of the original artists and they always had these cheesey looking women dressed like Bronco Billy or biggles. All very bizaare.

Please feel free to add to my 70s hate listbanging head against wall

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin

MajorFubar's picture
RE: Now I know why the 1970s left a nasty taste...

Actually I liked the TotP albums.  They are a fond memory of my childhood (he says, giving his age away).

Mint condition examples of early albums are surprisingly valuable.

Unlike the competing Chevron 'Parade Of Pops'.  My parents bought me a copy on red vinyl for my birthday in 1979, telling me it would be worth a fortune in 30 years time.  I kept it mint. Over 30 years have passed. It's not worth a fortune.  It's worth about £1.69 so long as I throw £1.50 of loose change in the outer sleeve.

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

Earlier today, because little one had an inset day at school, dug out a few old records and came across K-Tel's 'Music Explosion' from 1974. OMG, the SQ is so rough. What a shame, there's some good tracks on there (amongst the dross) but I suppose SQ wasn't an issue with a big mono radiogram.

My daughter looked at me and said: "What are you doing? this is rubbish..." When I told her it's the sort of thing I listened to when I was her age she looked sideways at me and went outside in the garden.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

MajorFubar's picture

K-Tel pressings were nearly always pretty naff.  They'd put about 20 songs on each record, most of which were edited down to under three minutes so they would fit (a little note in microscopic writing at the bottom of the sleeve used to tell you this). Even so edited, to pack the grooves so tightly the cut was usually very quiet and noisy.

Not sure why your daughter's laughing: I've heard the SQ her generation find acceptable coming from the average MP3 docking station. Or maybe she's a rare chip off the old block and appreciates SQ like her dad.

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

MajorFubar wrote:

K-Tel pressings were nearly always pretty naff.  They'd put about 20 songs on each record, most of which were edited down to under three minutes so they would fit (a little note in microscopic writing at the bottom of the sleeve used to tell you this). Even so edited, to pack the grooves so tightly the cut was usually very quiet and noisy.

Not sure why your daughter's laughing: I've heard the SQ her generation find acceptable coming from the average MP3 docking station. Or maybe she's a rare chip off the old block and appreciates SQ like her dad.

She wasn't laughing at the SQ, just the style of music. Let's face it not many 8 years care about SQ, but I made amends by playing some old funk and soul: Heatwave, Hall & Oats, Chic, the Whispers and Junior 12" single.

StevieC's picture

I had an equally cheap 'n' nasty compilation album on the Ronco label.  Main thing I remember about it was that the vinyl was so thin you could bend it almost in half WITHOUT it breaking!

Oh, the rubbish we had....

Steve

MajorFubar's picture

>>She wasn't laughing at the SQ, just the style of music. Let's face it not many 8 years care about SQ<<

Ah I see, but to be fair I didn't know her age Smile

Yes there was plenty of cheese in the early 1970s. Osmonds. David Cassidy. bay City Rollers.

But it's never gone away, just changed. Though admittedly there's one less 'modern' cheesy band, now that Pondlife have split.

CnoEvil's picture

If you allow me the leeway to go back to the mid 60s, I would submit a red vinyl "45" copy of "Pinky and Perky".....even hated it when I was 5. Sad

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

The other label that was pretty cheap was 'Music For Pleasure'. Although slightly better than the K-Tel pressings, still lacked the quality of the original.

Were we really that hard up in the 70s?Laughing out loud

CnoEvil wrote:
If you allow me the leeway to go back to the mid 60s, I would submit a red vinyl "45" copy of "Pinky and Perky".....even hated it when I was 5. Sad

My parents bought me a 'Songs For Swinging Children' (PP is now cringing) compilation back in the late 60s (or could be early 70s) and it had a track by non other than the superstar of the day: Topo Gigio. I even had a key fob of the French rodent.

MajorFubar's picture

plastic penguin wrote:
Were we really that hard up in the 70s?Laughing out loud
Yeah we were, when the average original-artist album was about £4 and TotP and MFP 'session-musician' compilations were about 50p.  Not too long ago I remember pricing-up the inflated price of the Beatles Please Please Me LP from 1963, and I'm pretty sure I ended up with something close to £35!

Punk was the worst thing about the 70s other than that it was probably one of the best decades for music

As for flimsy vinyl wasnt it something to do with the cost of oil going up?