8 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlCB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 25/02/2011 - 11:46
Posts: 10
Music my hi-fi ruined

Just a bit of fun. We often talk about hi-fi transforming our listening, but are there candidates for music changed for the worse by the purchase of a better hi-fi system? For example, music associated with a earlier type of listening or equipment – late night to Caroline or Luxemburg radio or an old cassette recording. Perhaps a lyric you had reasoned out in your head as making sense was dashed once you heard it properly? My contributions are: 1) My wife’s Holst Planet Suit LP recording by Sir Adrian Bolt was ruined by our GyroDec which revealed a whole load of instruments that were just not there before; 2) The vinyl 45 ‘Follow that Car’ by Rococo that contained the line ‘Go Father go’, was revealed when downloaded and played on our Uniti2 as ‘Go farther go’ – shame as we liked the idea of the desperate lover chasing his girlfriend in a car driven by his Dad!

Perhaps sometimes our best music memories come from our crackly and hissy pre-hi-fi days?

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 13713
RE: Music my hi-fi ruined

AlCB wrote:
1) My wife’s Holst Planet Suit LP recording by Sir Adrian Bolt was ruined by our GyroDec which revealed a whole load of instruments that were just not there before;

I don't understand why that ruins it? Surely that's a good thing?

John Duncan's picture
Online
Last seen: 35 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2008 - 17:25
Posts: 23201
RE: Music my hi-fi ruined

The_Lhc wrote:

AlCB wrote:
1) My wife’s Holst Planet Suit LP recording by Sir Adrian Bolt was ruined by our GyroDec which revealed a whole load of instruments that were just not there before;

I don't understand why that ruins it? Surely that's a good thing?

You mean it's not a string quartet?  EDITED me!

Moderator: john.duncan.whf at gmail dot com

System burgeoning

chrisup's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 15:12
Posts: 217
RE: Music my hi-fi ruined

I upgraded to a Rega Planar 3 when I sold my old hifi to a friend. It was amazing the differnce it made! Steely Dan Do It Again, Supertramp Crime of the Century amd Led  Zep 4 just blew me away and  friends said Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Strats never sounded better.

Best wishes

 

Chris

Onkyo 905 B&W 685 Theatre & B&W ASW 610 subwoofer Panasonic DMR BWT 720

Teo
Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 118
I can understand...In fact ,

I can understand...In fact , I heard for the first time Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here"in mono , on a R2R TK 147 Grundig , then recorded it from my friend on my Aiko radiorecorder (obviously , mono, third or fourth hand , maibe) ,but the magic of that music listened in such precarious conditions in my early youth was somehow lost on hifi stereo!That music produced a mesmerising resonance on me on that basic audio. Don't know exactly why and how, of course the hifi added a lot of detail and spaciousness , that I felt somehow distracting from the very essence of the music . Weird .

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 17086
Teo wrote:

Teo wrote:

I can understand...In fact , I heard for the first time Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here"in mono , on a R2R TK 147 Grundig , then recorded it from my friend on my Aiko radiorecorder (obviously , mono, third or fourth hand , maibe) ,but the magic of that music listened in such precarious conditions in my early youth was somehow lost on hifi stereo!That music produced a mesmerising resonance on me on that basic audio. Don't know exactly why and how, of course the hifi added a lot of detail and spaciousness , that I felt somehow distracting from the very essence of the music . Weird .

That's just age dulling your experiences.  Everything 'new' is special when you are young.

iPad Mini 3 (128GB) • Bowers & Wilkins P3 • Mac Mini • AirPort Extreme 802.11n • AirPlay • iTunes • Marantz M-CR603  • Rega R3

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 36 sec ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 14092
chebby wrote:

chebby wrote:

Everything 'new' is special when you are young.....

....and when you are old, either you can't understand it (even if you have figured out how to open it), or it's not as good as it used to be. Dash 1

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Teo
Teo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 13/11/2013 - 18:46
Posts: 118
No , chebby , that I noticed

No , there are not recent impressions ,chebby , I noticed that some three years after the moments I described ,when I got an Akai GX4000D and had a tape with the same music this time directly from the record....never achieved the same resonance ...
or maybe it wasn't new anymore ....

 

Edit : But , thinking more at this question, probably on some musical pieces , raising the detail can distract a bit from the essence of the music as we percieved it once and produced a resonance in our emotional inside. Adding detail and spatial feeling can raise the fidelity but change THAT perception we had on that music ,it's like a new music ....like changing the frequence on the tuner, a bit...the perfect responance isn't there any more. Anyway it'a subjective question .

 

Log in or register to post comments