34 posts / 0 new
Last post
bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12854
Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Expansys has started accepting orders for the new Western Digital Red HDD for NAS. Claims to ship within 5 days.

Deal here.

It's charging a 10% premium over announced prices. I'm waiting for Amazon to stock it.

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11026
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Released just mere weeks after I filled my NAS up with desktop drives. Ah well...

 

The owls are not what they seem...

Scissor_digits's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 16/12/2003 - 12:50
Posts: 302
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

So, not a Hot deal? Just plain old deal........

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12854
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Scissor_digits wrote:

So, not a Hot deal? Just plain old deal........

"Hot deal" for members desperate to buy it. It's the only UK website selling it currently.  Smile

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12854
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Once it's on Amazon, it'll be time for me to upgrade my NAS to Synology  Smile

grdunn123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 24/09/2007 - 19:51
Posts: 1535
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Forgive my ignorance Big Boss, I just bought an Iomega network hard drive and have found it reasonably easy to integrate in to my network. It uses 5 separate folders for music, photos etc and I can see all the files using my laptop, iphone, ipad and even through my LG tv via DLNA.

The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch?? I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

For the price, this sounds like a great deal!

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12854
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

grdunn123 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance Big Boss, I just bought an Iomega network hard drive and have found it reasonably easy to integrate in to my network. It uses 5 separate folders for music, photos etc and I can see all the files using my laptop, iphone, ipad and even through my LG tv via DLNA.

The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch?? I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

For the price, this sounds like a great deal!

I'm planning to buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS212-Bay-NAS-Enclosure/dp/B005TOXI6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342219210&sr=8-1

It comes without a hard disk drive which needs purchasing separately.

grdunn123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 24/09/2007 - 19:51
Posts: 1535
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Ok, that makes sense.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12854
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Ok, Amazon is more expensive than expansys (by 1p)!  :O

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-3-5inch-SATA6-Internal/dp/B008JJLZ7G/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1342481108&sr=1-1

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 12854
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

.....And unsurprisingly, the price of Synology DS212J & QNAP TS-212 have crept up since then.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

grdunn123 wrote:
The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch??

Perhaps you should read the press release, the WD Red is NOT designed for PCs, it's specifically designed for use in NAS devices.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

Riiiight....  :doh:

Soopafly49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 08/05/2010 - 11:58
Posts: 377
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

bigboss wrote:

grdunn123 wrote:

Forgive my ignorance Big Boss, I just bought an Iomega network hard drive and have found it reasonably easy to integrate in to my network. It uses 5 separate folders for music, photos etc and I can see all the files using my laptop, iphone, ipad and even through my LG tv via DLNA.

The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch?? I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

For the price, this sounds like a great deal!

I'm planning to buy this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synology-DS212-Bay-NAS-Enclosure/dp/B005TOXI6A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342219210&sr=8-1

It comes without a hard disk drive which needs purchasing separately.

+1 on buying the synology.
grdunn123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 24/09/2007 - 19:51
Posts: 1535
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

The_Lhc wrote:

grdunn123 wrote:
The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch??

Perhaps you should read the press release, the WD Red is NOT designed for PCs, it's specifically designed for use in NAS devices.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

Riiiight....  :doh:

Really worthwhile post!!

AAhh, thanks for that! Nothing like slagging off posters who've already professed minimal knowledge of a topic. Must make you feel all warm inside.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

grdunn123 wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

grdunn123 wrote:
The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch??

Perhaps you should read the press release, the WD Red is NOT designed for PCs, it's specifically designed for use in NAS devices.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

Riiiight....  :doh:

Really worthwhile post!!

AAhh, thanks for that! Nothing like slagging off posters who've already professed minimal knowledge of a topic. Must make you feel all warm inside.

If you have minimal knowledge of the topic why did you post to tell Bigboss he was wrong in his original post? That's hardly worthwhile is it? You don't know anything about the subject yet you still feel it necessary to correct people that do know what they're talking about, that's stunningly arrogant.

grdunn123's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 24/09/2007 - 19:51
Posts: 1535
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

The_Lhc wrote:

grdunn123 wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

grdunn123 wrote:
The hard drive you're talking about is an internal HDD for a home PC, being 3.5 inch??

Perhaps you should read the press release, the WD Red is NOT designed for PCs, it's specifically designed for use in NAS devices.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you attach it to your network as I had to physically wire mine up via ethernet to my router.

Riiiight....  :doh:

Really worthwhile post!!

AAhh, thanks for that! Nothing like slagging off posters who've already professed minimal knowledge of a topic. Must make you feel all warm inside.

If you have minimal knowledge of the topic why did you post to tell Bigboss he was wrong in his original post? That's hardly worthwhile is it? You don't know anything about the subject yet you still feel it necessary to correct people that do know what they're talking about, that's stunningly arrogant.

Go on then - where did I tell Big Boss he was wrong? quote please? I started my initial post by telling him how ignorant I was on this subject and asked for clarification - I have very limited knowledge and was interested in the item Big Boss highlighted but didn't know how it would be used. Whats stunningly arrogant is your one word (almost) response to a conversation in which you'd played no part previously. Please explain how you thought your offering was going to play any part in a positive thread. You've obviously been appointed to police these forums.

AlmaataKZ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 07/01/2009 - 11:48
Posts: 2154
RE: Western Digital NAS HDD Red available to order

Prof, Bb, I am also considering the synology nas and 2 2tb wd red drives.

Re the nas, I see three models: 212, 212j and 212+. struggle to understand the difference. What is it?

Comparing gives 4 differences: http://www.synology.com/products/compare_spec.php?lang=uk&product_id_list=90%2C88%2C89#compare_show_top

Memory and speed - not sure how important these are for simple backup and itunes

Wake on lan - i think i need this

Hot swap hdds - very nice to have

Usb copy and sd copy. What the heck is that?

Synology now lists the 30 and 20efrx drive as compatible

Amazon now has the 2tb drives for gbp95.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments