Have your say & ask the experts!

Panasonic 50GT50 £899

25 replies [Last post]
gel
gel's picture

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

gel
gel's picture
RE: Panasonic 50GT50 £899

Can't work out why the 50GT50 is cheaper than the 50ST50?   puzzled

Main AV Setup: Panasonic 50VT65 TV (THX calibrated), Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1, Optimum AV300 AV Stand, QED Silver Anniversary XT Speaker Cable & Chord Silver Plus HDMI Cables. Gadgets: iPad 4 & iPhone 4S.

laserman16's picture

Perhaps Panasonic are dumping 50GT50s onto the market.

gel
gel's picture

laserman16 wrote:

Perhaps Panasonic are dumping GT50s onto the market.

Seems a strange thing to do.  They are clearly selling a lot though.

laserman16's picture

Well, if they have over produced on them they may need to get rid of excess stock.

gel
gel's picture

laserman16 wrote:

Well, if they have over produced on them they may need to get rid of excess stock.

John Lewis definitely seem to have an endless supply at present.  Smile

FLASHTOKYO's picture

Don't buy a Panasonic TV, I have the GT50 and a fault developed within the first year. They refused to do anything about it, customer service is appalling!!

FLASH TOKYO

buzz_lightclick's picture
Does the GT50 suffer with the

Does the GT50 suffer with the 50Hz bug like previous models?

Home Cinema: Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A, Sky+HD 2TB, Oppo BDP-95EU, Pioneer SC-LX83, Monitor Audio Apex (4xA10s,1xA40), B&W PV1D.

Cables: QED Signature subwoofer lead, Van den Hul Clearwater and QED Silver Micro speaker cables, Chord Active and Audioquest Pearl HDMIs.

Headphones: B&W P7, Bose QC3.

Gaming: PS3 Slim 320GB, Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0.

Misc: Apple TV3, Arcam rCube, Kef Picoforte 3, Iphone 4S 64GB, iPad Air.

gel
gel's picture
RE: Does the GT50 suffer with the

buzz_lightclick wrote:

I didn't see any sign of it on Sky, it was perfect.  

gel
gel's picture

FLASHTOKYO wrote:

Don't buy a Panasonic TV, I have the GT50 and a fault developed within the first year. They refused to do anything about it, customer service is appalling!!

We worked this one out a couple of years back, that is why most of us buy from John Lewis now.

buzz_lightclick wrote:

Yes. So do this year's Panasonics, to an arguably lesser degree.

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

gel
gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

buzz_lightclick wrote:

Surely it is just a downside of plasma technology now though? My Pioneer 5090 suffered bad on analogue watching football on something like ITV2 or 4. It was just as bad as my Panasonic 50V20.

The new Samsung plasma TVs will no doubt suffer to some degree too all plasma do.  The better the source you feed it will take away the problems.

The 50Hz bug is Panasonic specific, or at least it has been since the 20 series. (Not that I'm criticising your new TV.)

Plasma TVs from all manufacturers suffer from certain motion issues, such as dynamic false contouring, but Samsing plasmas don't suffer from 50Hz motion problems in the same way as Panasonic plasmas. Samsung plasmas have their own motion hiccups, however, such as the F8500's tendency to stutter briefly after cut scenes.    

60Hz and 24p content are both fine on Panasonic plasmas, though of course much of our viewing in the UK comprises 50Hz content, assuming we watch TV rather than Blu-rays exclusively.

It's a shame, but there you go. 50Hz motion looked smoother on my G10 than on any Panasonic plasma I've owned since. Unfortunately the G10 suffered from the rising black problem and had no advanced calibration controls.

Hardware: Panasonic TX-P50VT65B (calibrated); Cambridge Audio Azur 651BD; Yamaha RX-A810; Teac PD-H600; PS3; B&W 601 & 600LCR (series 3); Q Acoustics QAV (rear)

Furniture and Accessories: BLOK Classix 3000 Oak AV Cabinet; Atacama Nexus 6 (atabite metal filled); 3D3 A1112

gel
gel's picture

strapped for cash wrote:

The 50Hz bug is Panasonic specific, or at least it has been since the 20 series. (Not that I'm criticising your new TV.)

Plasma TVs from all manufacturers suffer from certain motion issues, such as dynamic false contouring, but Samsing plasmas don't suffer from 50Hz motion problems in the same way as Panasonic plasmas. Samsung plasmas have their own motion hiccups, however, such as the F8500's tendency to stutter briefly after cut scenes.    

60Hz and 24p content are both fine on Panasonic plasmas, though of course much of our viewing in the UK comprises 50Hz content, assuming we watch TV rather than Blu-rays exclusively.

It's a shame, but there you go. 50Hz motion looked smoother on my G10 than on any Panasonic plasma I've owned since. Unfortunately the G10 suffered from the rising black problem and had no advanced calibration controls.

I don't tend to agree with you here and neither does Steve Withers reading his comments on AV.  If you ask him now about the problems that exist on Panasonic TVs about the 50hz problem he will tell you it is there of sorts but it is now just a downside of plasma technology not a specific problem in itself.  He spoke about this quite a bit when reviewing this years range in his after comments.  Pioneer's do exactly the same as the VT65 on an analogue source, so I am not sure how you can keep calling it a Panasonic problem?

gel
gel's picture

I have seen the new Samsung plasmas on analogue too because our John Lewis only demos that TV on it, and it does not look good with motion, but like I said this is just a downside of plasma technology, which Steve Withers refers to a lot.

gel
gel's picture

gel wrote:

strapped for cash wrote:

buzz_lightclick wrote:

Surely it is just a downside of plasma technology now though? My Pioneer 5090 suffered bad on analogue watching football on something like ITV2 or 4. It was just as bad as my Panasonic 50V20.

The new Samsung plasma TVs will no doubt suffer to some degree too all plasma do.  The better the source you feed it will take away the problems.

When I referred to analogue I meant and mean Freeview.  Smile