Have your say & ask the experts!

Onkyo TX-SR605 Cheap in the US??

5 replies [Last post]
Nubby's picture

I was just looking at the B&H website, and noticed that the Onkyo AV receivers are pretty cheap (especially with the current exchange rate).  The TX-SR605 comes out at $573.15 including delivery (2-3 days via UPS), that equates to approx £290.99...! Smile  Many of the other home cinema products also seem very cheap, so may be worth a look.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=484691&is=REG

Am I missing something here, as it sounds to good to be true?  Would I be charged import tax or some other charge?

Andrew Everard's picture
Re: Onkyo TX-SR605 Cheap in the US??

Yes, you will be charged around 22% VAT and duty, plus whatever charge UPS makes for administering the collection of those taxes and duties. So that brings it up to £355 plus that admin charge.

You'll also need a step-down transformer, as it will work on US voltages, which may have unpredictable effects on the sound. Let's say another £50 or so for a good one, so that's £405.

The tuning could well be different on the US and UK versions.

And if it goes wrong you'll probably have to ship it back to the States for repair.

With companies offering it online for £350-£380 - I just Googled it - hardly seems worth it, does it? 

Audio Editor, Gramophone

Nubby's picture

Thanks for the info, I guess it looks like a far better idea to get it from the UK.

Andrew Everard's picture

Idea 

Audio Editor, Gramophone

Gerrardasnails's picture

I've seen one for £320 today (free delivery too)

http://www.audio-t.co.uk/?section=onlinestore&display=proddetail&pid=193757

Screen - Samsung UE46D8000.  Sources - Dell Zino HD 410; Sky HD; Sony BDP S550; Wyred 4 Sound DAC1.  Amps - Yamaha RX-A3010; SimAudio Moon I-3 RS.  Speakers - Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand; Vienna Acoustics Waltz Grand centre; Proficient Audio W690 rears; Monitor Audio RSW12.  Cables - Van Damme Blue 4mm speaker cable; Townsend DCT300 and Atlas Voyager interconnects; Van den Hul Optocoupler.

Nubby's picture

Thanks Gerrardsnails, that seems to be a very good deal.  Just may get me one of those...Big Smile