21 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
MARANTZ MCR603
Andrew Everard's picture
Re: MARANTZ MCR603

Excellent deal, though it's worth considering some even better speakers to get the best out of the Marantz.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

To upgrade to Monitor audio BX1 is £149 more, better speakers but worth the extra over the Missons?

Andrew Everard's picture

I'd say so, yes.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Andrew Everard: it's worth considering some even better speakers to get the best out of the Marantz.

Andrew, in your opinion would the Dynaudio DM 2/6 (WHF 2010 awards) speakers be overkill for the Marantz M-CR603?  Would its 60W be sufficient to drive the 2/6s, and might their lowish impedence present a problem?  Do you think those EB1s might work better, assuming one can get hold of a pair?

Alternatively, could the Monitor Audio RX1 provide a compromise solution between the 2/6 and the MA BX2?  Or is it not worth going that far up the speaker ladder to partner a one-box system like the Marantz? 

I'd like to go for something more insightful than, say, the MA BX1 referred to above, which may be a suitable partner for cheaper units like Denon's D-M 38.

The Marantz seems to be a versatile piece of kit, which I hope to use in a second room (4m x 6m), mostly listening to classical music.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Andrew Everard's picture

Haven't tried the M-CR603 with the Dynaudios, so really unable to comment, but did have fun running the system into PMC GB1s when writing a forthcoming Gramophone review.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Thanks Andrew,  looking forward to the forthcoming review as I'm a Gramophone subscriber.  It would be interesting to know how the CR 603 stacks up to the new Denon CEOL (looks a bit plasticy), but I guess I'll have to wait for the reviews to emerge.

Andrew Everard's picture

We haven't seen or heard the CEOL yet, so really unable to comment.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi,

I've been looking for this kind of device for quite some time. I've looked through the User Guide & it is not clear to me whether any additional software needs to be running on the PC for the MCR603 to access files stored in a shared folder. All my music is stored as FLAC, and I would rather not require a user to be logged in and software running (like the Squeezebox). Does anyone know ?

Thanks.

ear's picture

can it sound better than the pm6003?

TheHomeCinemaCentre's picture
cuninghamd:

Hi,

I've been looking for this kind of device for quite some time. I've looked through the User Guide & it is not clear to me whether any additional software needs to be running on the PC for the MCR603 to access files stored in a shared folder. All my music is stored as FLAC, and I would rather not require a user to be logged in and software running (like the Squeezebox). Does anyone know ?

Thanks.

We run twonky on our NAS and that works fine with the Marantz NA7004 and SR7005 so I see no reason for it not to work on the 603. It is an amazing little box for the money , Napster and Last.FM are superb additions and it sounds good too.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
TheHomeCinemaCentre:
cuninghamd:

Hi,

Thanks.

We run twonky on our NAS and that works fine with the Marantz NA7004 and SR7005 so I see no reason for it not to work on the 603. It is an amazing little box for the money , Napster and Last.FM are superb additions and it sounds good too.

Thanks for the advice I'll take a look - 

Cheers

domenn's picture

Hello Andrew,  I wanna ask you what do you think about this set up ? 

MARANTZ MCR603 - CAMBRIDGE AUDIO Minix 212 (is WHF team planning any proper review of Minx?)  or B&W 601 s3 ?   

Thank You  

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Could the Marantz work well with Monitor Audios RX 6?

chebby's picture
Andrew Everard:Haven't tried the M-CR603 with the Dynaudios, so really unable to comment, but did have fun running the system into PMC GB1s when writing a forthcoming Gramophone review.

Have I missed that issue Andrew? I'd like to read that review.

I spotted an optical digital input on the back of the MCR603 (lacking on the Teac CR-H500DNT) and also two Aux RCA inputs. (Teac only has one aux line level RCA input and one just for turntables.)

This means - out of the Teac and the Marantz - the MCR603 is the 'front runner' due to having more inputs (ethernet, optical and RCA) for the new telly and BD recorder when I come to change/upgrade/downgrade/downsize my system.

I also have more confidence the Marantz will drive my MS20i Pearl Edition speakers (until such time as I can find a capable replacement pair that will live happily in bookshelves).

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

Andrew Everard's picture
chebby:Have I missed that issue Andrew? I'd like to read that review.

It was in the February issue, which may still just be on sale. With the long lead-times on Gramophone reviews, I tend to lose track.

Pages