14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dan Fahey's picture
should I go for a 100" or 120" projector screen?
English

Hi my room is 18 foot long and 15 foot 3 wide - I have an Epson TW6100 projector.  I am thinking of buying the What Hi-Fi recommended Sony 1040 receiver and the Dali Zensor 1 5.1 speaker package.  Would this be a good system in my room given the dimesions above?  I had a Yamaha receiver in the past and I loved it so should I wait for the new batch in September - I like the look of the Yamaha 775 but I don't know if the Dali Zensor 1 5.1 speaker package would pair well with it - any advice here?

I am thinking of placing my couch 16 feet away from the screen - I think I should leave 2 feet behind the couch for the rear forward projecting Dali 1s - am I right?

I think I can have a 120" screen as long as the couch and chairs are no closer than 13.5 feet away from the couch.  Could anyone advise me if I am correct and if I should go fro a 100" screen instead.  

I am hoping to buy a fixed screen from Richer Sounds either the 120" Sapphire or 100" Sapphire they have a gain of .89 - the lumens on the Epson TW6100 are 1300 - would this be a good screen to buy?

Any help greatly appreciated - thanks in advance 

Glacialpath's picture
Re: Screen size

Hi there how are you?

I think for your room size you should go for the 100" screen. You are right to put you couch about 16 feet away.

There is no reason in my book why the Dali speakers shouldn't compliment your AV Receiver. I know sometime some kit will pair better than others but there are so many factors to take into account that you could be there forever instead of enjoying watching movies.

The more you learn the better you will be able to make these judgment calls. We can only pass on our experiences but we don't have your room and funishings so what may work for us could sound horrible for you.

I'm not saying do ask as that's what the forum is for. I just bought speakers in my price range without any real technical knowledge and over time I've gotten more out of them the more I've learnt.

Hi-Fi: Campridge audio D500 SE, DACMagic 1, C500, P500.. Monitor Audio BR1 speakers.

H-T: Pioneer; Kuro LX5090, BDP LX71, SC LX73. CA P500. SKY+HD. Rel Q50. Mordaunt Short Avant.

Dan Fahey's picture
Hi - thanks for your reply -

Hi - thanks for your reply - Do you mind me asking why you think a 100" screen would be better than a 120" in that size room?

You are right the more research I do the more complicated it seems.  Originally I was going to go with the Sony 1040 and Dali Zensor 1 5.1 and now I am thinking I might go for the Yamaha rxv775 and KEF E305 or Dali 5 5.1 - so confused. 

I'm not really in a hurry and am just interested in feedback to try and help make my decision.  I won't get to use any of the kit I buy until April.  I hope you understand that I am pretty much a rookie and I know that I will probably have to live with whatever kit I buy for the next 10 years.

Glacialpath's picture
hybridauth_facebook_670373973

hybridauth_facebook_670373973 wrote:

Hi - thanks for your reply - Do you mind me asking why you think a 100" screen would be better than a 120" in that size room?

You are right the more research I do the more complicated it seems.  Originally I was going to go with the Sony 1040 and Dali Zensor 1 5.1 and now I am thinking I might go for the Yamaha rxv775 and KEF E305 or Dali 5 5.1 - so confused. 

I'm not really in a hurry and am just interested in feedback to try and help make my decision.  I won't get to use any of the kit I buy until April.  I hope you understand that I am pretty much a rookie and I know that I will probably have to live with whatever kit I buy for the next 10 years.

Not a problem. We all started there once Smile

The suggestion is 16feet is the optimum viewing distance for a 100" screen. My TV is 50" and the suggested viewing distance is 2m and my room is 4mx4m (16fx16f) Make sense?

If you won't be able to use the kit till April I would suggest you go and have fun listening (auditioning) some AV Receivers and speaker packages a places like Audio-T and Richer Sounds. The sony you was thinking of does 7.2 which is better than 5.1. More and more movies on BD now have 7.1 soundtracks (the .1/.2 is howmany subwoofers the amp can use and 2 is better than 1 but you need to know how to set them up)

There is a show in Bristol The Bristol Sound and Vision Show in February. I would suggest buying it from there as you will get show prices and will be buying directly from the dealers. You will get warrenty also so don't panic. It's weekend thing, Fri, Sat and Sun but only Sat and Sun are open to the public. You can get all your speaker cables, interconnects. I recomend The Chord Company. Tell them your system and they will suggest the best cables for your budget. Also check out the cable demos from all the manufacturers that do them at the show and decide for yourself.

You will save quite a bit at the show. 15% I think on most items. Make a weekend of it. My wife and I have gone for the weekend for the past 5 years. I'ed be happy to meet up with you to show you around as it can be very daunting.

Hi-Fi: Campridge audio D500 SE, DACMagic 1, C500, P500.. Monitor Audio BR1 speakers.

H-T: Pioneer; Kuro LX5090, BDP LX71, SC LX73. CA P500. SKY+HD. Rel Q50. Mordaunt Short Avant.

Dan Fahey's picture
That show sounds amazing but

That show sounds amazing but I won't be able to make it as I live in Ireland.  I think I am sold on the 100" screen - I did think the 120" screen might be hard on the eyes in a room that size so thanks for your help.  

bigboss's picture
If you want to invest in a

If you want to invest in a screen even for 4K in the future, then it makes sense to invest in a 120-inch screen.

relocated's picture
100 or 120

The thing with the 120 screen is, that you don't have to use all of it if it does end up being too large.  However you can't make the 100 screen larger if you find, as many people do, that a 120 would have suited better[other than pulling out your wallet again].

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

Dan Fahey's picture
Hi guys its all to do with

Hi guys its all to do with the size of the room - I intend on living with the screen and system for the next ten years - blu ray players I change every year - just wondering why you think I might need 120 for 4K - I thought the size of the screen depended on the size of the room - I think I can fit a 120 screen with the closest seat at 13.5 feet - I used the 1.5 x width rule - now I even more confused

bigboss's picture
The current viewing distance

The current viewing distance calculations are based on 1080p HD and not 4K. With 4K, you can get much closer to the screen.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
I don't think there's

I don't think there's anything wrong with a 10ft screen being viewed from 16ft away. I'm viewing a 7ft screen from about 9ft away, and I have no issues at all. If I really had to pick, dropping the picture down to 6ft does make it look sharper. In our demo room we use a 9ft screen being viewed from about 12/13ft - we did have a 10ft screen, but it just seemed a little overwhelming, so dropped back down to 9ft. 

As BB states, with HD, particularly 4K, you can sit closer to the screen without being made aware of any nasties.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

relocated's picture
blu ray players I change every year

hybridauth_facebook_670373973 wrote:

Hi guys its all to do with the size of the room - I intend on living with the screen and system for the next ten years - blu ray players I change every year - just wondering why you think I might need 120 for 4K - I thought the size of the screen depended on the size of the room - I think I can fit a 120 screen with the closest seat at 13.5 feet - I used the 1.5 x width rule - now I even more confused

Why do you change bluray players every year?

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

Dan Fahey's picture
There is always some

There is always some additional feature I need - netflix - streaming - latest and greatest picture and sound - you name it - I started building my old home cinema kit 10 years ago and I found changing the dvd player and later blu ray player meant I was able to keep it up to date.  I always found that it was one of the best parts of going the seperates route. 

bigboss's picture
Blu ray players haven't

Blu ray players haven't really changed much over the years, including picture and sound. Periodic updates from the manufacturers meant they were always up to date, including smart content. In terms of streaming services, a separate media player would do the job.

Dan Fahey's picture
Hi Bigboss - you are right -

Hi Bigboss - you are right - I'm not recommending changing a blu ray player every year - it is just something I like to do.