36 posts / 0 new
Last post
ErwinC's picture
KEF KHT-3005SE vs MKSound M5/M4
English

I am considering replacing my KEF KHT-3005SE by an MKSound M-5/M-4 set. Has anyone compared these two sets?

Naim UnitiLite - Chord Carnival Silverscreen - PMC Twenty.21

David@FrankHarvey's picture
RE: KEF KHT-3005SE vs MKSound M5/M4

They're quite different price points - any reason for this comparison?

And which receiver are you going to be using?

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

ErwinC's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

They're quite different price points - any reason for this comparison?

And which receiver are you going to be using?

The reason is i need front right and left speakers not higher than 22 cm that can be placed inside a cabinet.

I currently own a Denon AVR1909, but i plan to upgrade soon.

The M Series is a 4ohm load and not particularly sensitive, and can present problems for your receiver. I've used quite a few other receivers in the past with 4ohm M&K and MK speakers and have ended up with them getting rather warm or even cutting out due to their demands on the receiver. While the M5's will sound better than the KEFs, your 1909 will be much happier driving the 3005SE's. Ask too much of the receiver and it doesn't matter how god the speakers are, the system won't sound like it is worth its cost and won't sound its best either. Unless of course you're looking to upgrade your receiver at some point in the future.

bigboss's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

Unless of course you're looking to upgrade your receiver at some point in the future.

ErwinC wrote:

I currently own a Denon AVR1909, but i plan to upgrade soon.

Smile

ErwinC's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

The M Series is a 4ohm load and not particularly sensitive, and can present problems for your receiver. I've used quite a few other receivers in the past with 4ohm M&K and MK speakers and have ended up with them getting rather warm or even cutting out due to their demands on the receiver. While the M5's will sound better than the KEFs, your 1909 will be much happier driving the 3005SE's. Ask too much of the receiver and it doesn't matter how god the speakers are, the system won't sound like it is worth its cost and won't sound its best either. Unless of course you're looking to upgrade your receiver at some point in the future.

Thanks for the useful feedback.

If i go for the M&K speakers, what level of surround amplifier do i need?

Will the M&K be a clear improvement over the KEF set with a new capable surround amp?

You'll need to be looking at the £800-1,000 receivers ideally as the M Series are a 4ohm load.

Just to clear up the confusion, you're looking at MK Sound speakers, which are a different company to M&K (Miller & Kreisel), which ceased to trade in 2006/2007. Ken Kreisel Professional Sound is the company that is now run by the Ken Kreisel, who co-founded and owned M&K - Ken had nothing to do with MK Sound.

The KHT3005SE package works out about £400 cheaper than the M Series speakers, and also includes a sub, so you're getting more for your money with the KEF's, but if you don't need a sub, then you're paying for something you won't need. You could get about £300 for the sub, which means you'll have had the five speakers for about £500, which is less than half the price of the MK's - you just have to decide which suits your requirements better. At the end of next month, the KEF E305 speaker package will be available - probably a little more than the current price of the 3005's, but should sound better as they're based around better technology.

moonfly's picture

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

You'll need to be looking at the £800-1,000 receivers ideally as the M Series are a 4ohm load.

Just to clear up the confusion, you're looking at MK Sound speakers, which are a different company to M&K (Miller & Kreisel), which ceased to trade in 2006/2007. Ken Kreisel Professional Sound is the company that is now run by the Ken Kreisel, who co-founded and owned M&K - Ken had nothing to do with MK Sound.

The KHT3005SE package works out about £400 cheaper than the M Series speakers, and also includes a sub, so you're getting more for your money with the KEF's, but if you don't need a sub, then you're paying for something you won't need. You could get about £300 for the sub, which means you'll have had the five speakers for about £500, which is less than half the price of the MK's - you just have to decide which suits your requirements better. At the end of next month, the KEF E305 speaker package will be available - probably a little more than the current price of the 3005's, but should sound better as they're based around better technology.

Its also worth notting that since M&K became MK Sound, the entire product line has improved, and not just by a little bit. The new speakers and subwoofers are head and shoulders above the models they had when Ken was there. The guys runnin the show now have improved everything by a remarkable amount, and dont seem to be missing Ken at all.

Dan, the following quote from myself was to clear up the confusion between the two companies (who have/had different owners), and there was no mention of quality at all on my part at any point.

FrankHarveyHiFi wrote:

moonfly wrote:
Its also worth notting that since M&K became MK Sound, the entire product line has improved, and not just by a little bit. The new speakers and subwoofers are head and shoulders above the models they had when Ken was there. The guys runnin the show now have improved everything by a remarkable amount, and dont seem to be missing Ken at all.

Debatable subject, and "head and shoulders" is a tad strong. Initial improvements were minor, and not applicable to all models, as MK Sound were just working to Ken's existing specifications, changing the look of the cabinets a little and maybe changing a driver here or there depending on which drivers were still available. Even now, existing models are derivatives of Ken's original designs.

And of course, they wouldn't be 'missing Ken' because he never worked for MK Sound! Ken shut down Miller & Kreisel in 2007 and went on to open up Ken Kreisel Professional Sound in 2011.

JohnHolmes's picture

I wasn't aware the new MK subs have been released yet? Seems since you've started working for the mk distributor geko moonfly you've been singing their praises.

moonfly's picture

I dont work for Gecko and i never have

jcshutts's picture

JH are you planning to buy the KK range?

JohnHolmes's picture

Yes not sure if I'm going wait for the next range up from the quattros yet.  Would like to read some reviews, have read positive things about the MK s150s mkii lately so they are also an option.  They have been out for a while though and I'm yet to find a review.  I think Ken's new designs will be superior though and I'm in no rush, interesting times ahead.

JohnHolmes's picture

Double post.

moonfly wrote:

I dont work for Gecko and i never have

But you are in partnership with Gecko's owner, so in a way, you do.

Pages