176 posts / 0 new
Last post
duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
I was wrong about HDMI cables!
English

For years I have argued how the cheap HDMI cable was no different to an expensive version.  

However, today at the Bristol show I purchase 3 Chord Active Silver cables and it totally blew me away. For bluray playback or fir anything where data is being read actively from a disc, there is a massive boost in sound quality, the sound was sharper, crisp and punchier. Picture was also warmer, deeper in colour and rich. I am still reeling from the shock, I fully expected there to be no difference and to a certain degree I was right... Using it with sky, no difference, PC, no difference. However, bluray yes, music yes and even gaming.

My wife walked in and said "the tv looks better and sounds better". She was unaware of the test I was conducting, so that was unbiased from a non audiophile/videophile.

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1325
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

I'm intrigued by this. I had thought that there was little difference between cheaper and more expensive HDMI cables, one particular comparison that I had made was between a £15-£20 2m HDMI cable, made by Lindy, and a £64 2m HDMI cable, also made by Lindy. No difference that I could tell between those two (going from receiver outputs to television). But hey, when the facts change, I change my opinions. Next time I'm looking for an  HDMI cable, I'll try Chord Active Silver.

I wonder what bigboss will make of this thread, as he (like you and I) has also often said that there is little difference between HDMI cables.

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13486
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

How long is the cable? Your findings are indeed interesting. I've got a chord active HDMI (got it free from What Hi Fi subscription) & found no difference.

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13486
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

I don't think mine is silver though, & it's only 2m.

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1325
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Maybe it's the silver wot duz it! Certainly none of my approximately 25 HDMI cables, in varying lengths from half a metre to 20 metres, are silver.

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 14 hours ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8401
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

duaplex wrote:
My wife walked in and said "the tv looks better and sounds better". She was unaware of the test I was conducting, so that was unbiased from a non audiophile/videophile.

Dunno what it is, but whenever i see comments like this I'm automatically convinced the poster is talking rubbish and its just an attempt to add credibility.

whoam1's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 21/07/2012 - 17:37
Posts: 64
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Why?

bigboss's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13486
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Son_of_SJ wrote:

Maybe it's the silver wot duz it! Certainly none of my approximately 25 HDMI cables, in varying lengths from half a metre to 20 metres, are silver.

Dunno why silver should make any difference to digital data.

daveh75's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 14 hours ago
Joined: 31/07/2008 - 18:54
Posts: 8401
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

whoam1 wrote:

Why?

A) Because If they're seeing/hearing differences between cables, they probably are

Dirol I find it awfully convenient...

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11033
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

daveh75 wrote:

whoam1 wrote:

Why?

Dirol I find it awfully convenient...

Yup, very odd for someone's wife to walk into the living room - should be chained to the kitchen sink. Let alone have an opinion on something.

Smile

 

The owls are not what they seem...

Son_of_SJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 10/09/2009 - 16:24
Posts: 1325
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

daveh75 wrote:

duaplex wrote:
My wife walked in and said "the tv looks better and sounds better". She was unaware of the test I was conducting, so that was unbiased from a non audiophile/videophile.

Dunno what it is, but whenever i see comments like this I'm automatically convinced the poster is talking $hite and its just an attempt to add credibility.

Wuw.

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

The chord active silver has a noise cancelling chip in addition to help with sound purity too, so this could be a factor.  However, to answer some questions.

The cable between AV and bluray player is 1M, and the cable from AV to tv is 3M

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

daveh75 wrote:

duaplex wrote:
My wife walked in and said "the tv looks better and sounds better". She was unaware of the test I was conducting, so that was unbiased from a non audiophile/videophile.

Dunno what it is, but whenever i see comments like this I'm automatically convinced the poster is talking $hite and its just an attempt to add credibility.

Not at all I'm trying to remove bias or the placebo effect on my part. My wife watches bluray films with me all the time and it just so happened that we watched skyfall the previous night (which is what I was testing). 

It truely is a case of try it to believe it. I am just saying that a cable that cost me £40 and £75 was a risk worth taking and it paid off for me. I fully expected no difference too, but I was wrong.

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 6 days ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

professorhat wrote:

daveh75 wrote:

whoam1 wrote:

Why?

Dirol I find it awfully convenient...

Yup, very odd for someone's wife to walk into the living room - should be chained to the kitchen sink. Let alone have an opinion on something.

Smile

 

Entirely my fault, the chain snapped lol

cstanwhf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 5 days ago
Joined: 28/06/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 262
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

duaplex wrote:
 there is a massive boost in sound quality, the sound was sharper, crisp and punchier. Picture was also warmer, deeper in colour and rich.

Pretty much in tune with the review from WHF? Smile

http://www.whathifi.com/review/chord-company-active-silver-plus-hdmi 

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13644
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

duaplex wrote:

For years I have argued how the cheap HDMI cable was no different to an expensive version.  

However, today at the Bristol show I purchase 3 Chord Active Silver cables and it totally blew me away. For bluray playback or fir anything where data is being read actively from a disc, there is a massive boost in sound quality, the sound was sharper, crisp and punchier. Picture was also warmer, deeper in colour and rich. I am still reeling from the shock, I fully expected there to be no difference and to a certain degree I was right... Using it with sky, no difference, PC, no difference. However, bluray yes, music yes and even gaming.

My wife walked in and said "the tv looks better and sounds better". She was unaware of the test I was conducting, so that was unbiased from a non audiophile/videophile.

 

So for years you argued how cheap HDMI cables were no different to expensive ones - based on what then?   :?

 

When I was first setting up my GT50 I was switching between the Sky HD cable and my chord silver on Sky and the difference was huge!

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments