176 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sliced Bread's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 28/07/2010 - 14:46
Posts: 1484
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

fr0g wrote:

duaplex wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I once cured impotence in a man within 2 days by prescribing multivitamin capsules to be taken with a glass of milk. It's true.

 

??

Smile

It's very relevant to the discussion - the power of suggestion, and how powerful a placebo can be! 

 

I see, you gave him the equivalent of a chip to, er, boost his signal. 

:grin:

It's true and like I said my wife who was unaware of the test and the fact i swapped cables spotted it.  So does that mean the plecebo is extended to her telepathicaly Smile

No, but it can mean one or more of many things.

1. She knew you had spent money on an "upgraded" cable. In that case her testament is invalid.

2. She saw you fiddling with the TV or something similar and in those cases her testament is invalid.

3. You inadvertently changed something else. Maybe a mode on TV / BR or some furniture, curtains, etc, thus rendering the point moot.

4. You are lying,

 

There could be other reasons which I haven't thought of, but HDMI cables only differ in that they function, or don't, or are on the way not to, resulting in drop-outs in audio, obvious artifacts in the picture etc. I have chucked a couple out myself, and always buy from a seller on ebay now. They are premium grade and cost around £10-£20 depending on length.

 

 

 


Or maybe he is correct. You were not at the testing.
There do not seem to be any firm conclusions on this subject..alot of educated guesses, but no firm conclusions.
fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2940
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Sliced Bread wrote:
fr0g wrote:

duaplex wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I once cured impotence in a man within 2 days by prescribing multivitamin capsules to be taken with a glass of milk. It's true.

 

??

Smile

It's very relevant to the discussion - the power of suggestion, and how powerful a placebo can be! 

 

I see, you gave him the equivalent of a chip to, er, boost his signal. 

:grin:

It's true and like I said my wife who was unaware of the test and the fact i swapped cables spotted it.  So does that mean the plecebo is extended to her telepathicaly Smile

No, but it can mean one or more of many things.

1. She knew you had spent money on an "upgraded" cable. In that case her testament is invalid.

2. She saw you fiddling with the TV or something similar and in those cases her testament is invalid.

3. You inadvertently changed something else. Maybe a mode on TV / BR or some furniture, curtains, etc, thus rendering the point moot.

4. You are lying,

 

There could be other reasons which I haven't thought of, but HDMI cables only differ in that they function, or don't, or are on the way not to, resulting in drop-outs in audio, obvious artifacts in the picture etc. I have chucked a couple out myself, and always buy from a seller on ebay now. They are premium grade and cost around £10-£20 depending on length.

 

 

 

Or maybe he is correct. You were not at the testing. There do not seem to be any firm conclusions on this subject..alot of educated guesses, but no firm conclusions.

"The testing". You mean the heresay of one individual and his missus?

As for firm conclusions. Can you give me one reason as to why I am wrong? Yes, you can get HDMI cables better than others. But that will only be down to reliablity and will certainly not affect "blacks" or "bass" leaving an otherwise clean sound or picture. There is no physical possibility in the laws of physics that can lead to this conclusion.

 

Alec's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 08/10/2007 - 21:06
Posts: 6056
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

There are very firm conclusions, such as what Ben said.

relocated's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 20/01/2012 - 12:40
Posts: 978
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Or maybe he is correct. You were not at the testing.
There do not seem to be any firm conclusions on this subject..alot of educated guesses, but no firm conclusions.     :help:

Sliced Bread, there are very many FIRM CONCLUSIONS on HDMI cables and they ALL say that there is no difference in their abilities to pass 1s and 0s along their length.  The only confusion is by people on here and other fora who wish to believe that they can see and hear things that they CAN NOT.  They have been suckered into spending needless money or are the band of people who think they have golden ears or 50/50 vision.

Digital cables pass 1s and 0s down the line they don;t affect bass, colours, shade or any other delusional manifestation.  Do cable companies actually say their cables are scientifically tested to prove they can change anything?  No, but if you have seen any such claims let me know and then I will report their misdemeanors to the ASA.

Please people, get a life, reject the bull and accept that properly functioning digital cables are the same.  

Apple lossless - Netgear Nighthawk - ATV3 - AVI ADM 40.  

AVI ADM 9T used in my wife's system

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

fr0g wrote:

duaplex wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I once cured impotence in a man within 2 days by prescribing multivitamin capsules to be taken with a glass of milk. It's true.

 

??

Smile

It's very relevant to the discussion - the power of suggestion, and how powerful a placebo can be! 

 

I see, you gave him the equivalent of a chip to, er, boost his signal. 

:grin:

It's true and like I said my wife who was unaware of the test and the fact i swapped cables spotted it.  So does that mean the plecebo is extended to her telepathicaly Smile

No, but it can mean one or more of many things.

1. She knew you had spent money on an "upgraded" cable. In that case her testament is invalid.

2. She saw you fiddling with the TV or something similar and in those cases her testament is invalid.

3. You inadvertently changed something else. Maybe a mode on TV / BR or some furniture, curtains, etc, thus rendering the point moot.

4. You are lying,

 

There could be other reasons which I haven't thought of, but HDMI cables only differ in that they function, or don't, or are on the way not to, resulting in drop-outs in audio, obvious artifacts in the picture etc. I have chucked a couple out myself, and always buy from a seller on ebay now. They are premium grade and cost around £10-£20 depending on length.

 

 

 

 

1. no

2. no

3. That would be funny and silly, but no

4. What have I got to gain out that?

 

People just need to accept the fact that I like others that have used this cable are seeing and hearing a difference.  I think i know which ebay seller you refer to, there is one that I buy from too that I liked, I believe it has platinum written on the end.  If so these are the cables I am testing against.

Do you guys seriously think I would simply post this thread because I enjoy ridicule? The truth is simple, I conducted a test and heard a difference, if you chose to accept that then fine, if you chose to refute it then thats also fine.  However do not dismiss it before you have tested it yourself, that would be my advice.

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

relocated wrote:

Or maybe he is correct. You were not at the testing.
There do not seem to be any firm conclusions on this subject..alot of educated guesses, but no firm conclusions.     :help:

Sliced Bread, there are very many FIRM CONCLUSIONS on HDMI cables and they ALL say that there is no difference in their abilities to pass 1s and 0s along their length.  The only confusion is by people on here and other fora who wish to believe that they can see and hear things that they CAN NOT.  They have been suckered into spending needless money or are the band of people who think they have golden ears or 50/50 vision.

Digital cables pass 1s and 0s down the line they don;t affect bass, colours, shade or any other delusional manifestation.  Do cable companies actually say their cables are scientifically tested to prove they can change anything?  No, but if you have seen any such claims let me know and then I will report their misdemeanors to the ASA.

Please people, get a life, reject the bull and accept that properly functioning digital cables are the same.  

I would not class spending £40 as needless, I am not advocating that people go and spend £300, this was a simple test conducted using an active cable to see if it would indeed make a difference and on my setup it certainly has. I repeat this, people seem to think the difference is huge where it suddenly turns a 6k setup in a 20k performing setup, it does not.  But, the difference is there and the sound was indeed more vibrant.  

My previous cable was £14 this one is £40.  Even if this cable made no difference, I would still be happy with it, purely from a build quality perspective and the fact it fits and stays in its HDMI port.

BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6322
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

duaplex wrote:

fr0g wrote:

duaplex wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

bigboss wrote:

I once cured impotence in a man within 2 days by prescribing multivitamin capsules to be taken with a glass of milk. It's true.

 

??

Smile

It's very relevant to the discussion - the power of suggestion, and how powerful a placebo can be! 

 

I see, you gave him the equivalent of a chip to, er, boost his signal. 

:grin:

It's true and like I said my wife who was unaware of the test and the fact i swapped cables spotted it.  So does that mean the plecebo is extended to her telepathicaly Smile

No, but it can mean one or more of many things.

1. She knew you had spent money on an "upgraded" cable. In that case her testament is invalid.

2. She saw you fiddling with the TV or something similar and in those cases her testament is invalid.

3. You inadvertently changed something else. Maybe a mode on TV / BR or some furniture, curtains, etc, thus rendering the point moot.

4. You are lying,

 

There could be other reasons which I haven't thought of, but HDMI cables only differ in that they function, or don't, or are on the way not to, resulting in drop-outs in audio, obvious artifacts in the picture etc. I have chucked a couple out myself, and always buy from a seller on ebay now. They are premium grade and cost around £10-£20 depending on length.

 

 

 

 

1. no

2. no

3. That would be funny and silly, but no

4. What have I got to gain out that?

 

So given those answers, can you tell us at the third time of asking what you actually did when you say you were 'testing' the skyfall disc when your wife came in?

duaplex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 22/02/2011 - 18:51
Posts: 1075
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Sorry Ben,

I was simply watching the intro scene with Bond on the train having a fist fight, this is when she walked in and made note of the sound and picture. She had no idea I swapped over the cable, she simply assumed I had started watching it again.

So I carried on with the testing and this is when I noticed a difference in sound, especially with the rain when M was standing by the window, there seemed to be a far more atmospheric feel to scene and it was brighter.  Also to note, my center speaker was no longer sounding as if it was drowned by the two towers next to it. The sound is far more balanced with this cable.

No other setting have changed, no adjustments to the volume, no adjustments to the DB setting for speakers and no other calibration by the LX83. no new furniture, no new Bluray player, heck not even a cushion was out of place in the house Smile

 

Sliced Bread's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 28/07/2010 - 14:46
Posts: 1484
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

relocated wrote:

Or maybe he is correct. You were not at the testing.
There do not seem to be any firm conclusions on this subject..alot of educated guesses, but no firm conclusions.     :help:

Sliced Bread, there are very many FIRM CONCLUSIONS on HDMI cables and they ALL say that there is no difference in their abilities to pass 1s and 0s along their length.  The only confusion is by people on here and other fora who wish to believe that they can see and hear things that they CAN NOT.  They have been suckered into spending needless money or are the band of people who think they have golden ears or 50/50 vision.

Digital cables pass 1s and 0s down the line they don;t affect bass, colours, shade or any other delusional manifestation.  Do cable companies actually say their cables are scientifically tested to prove they can change anything?  No, but if you have seen any such claims let me know and then I will report their misdemeanors to the ASA.

Please people, get a life, reject the bull and accept that properly functioning digital cables are the same.  


I'm afraid that insulting phrases and little rants do not change my opinion.
My opinion before this debate, was that I sit on the fence in this debate due to my earlier *questions*. And here I am still on that fence.
I would like to see bench testing in various conditions rather than just perfect conditions and guess work.
From there I'll make my decision (which ever way that goes).
BenLaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 21/11/2010 - 20:21
Posts: 6322
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Thanks for the info duaplex  Smile Obviously I remain skeptical about your reported changes and your wife's awareness of any testing, but I don't think we'll be able to take it any further, and I'm pleased that you've found an improvement for a modest outlay  Smile

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12110
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

I would politely ask that it is now time to back off Duaplex, who reported what he heard, hasn't spent a fortune, has been backed up by people who have heard the same cable and is not insisting that anyone follow suit without trying for themselves.

I know from experience that there is nothing that he can say that will convince the sceptics of what he has heard, and the counter argument has now been clearly made......so further ganging up on him serves little purpose.

I'm not going to comment further on this.

Cno

 

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

abacus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 24/09/2008 - 23:16
Posts: 466
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

Quote:

My previous cable was £14 this one is £40.  Even if this cable made no difference, I would still be happy with it, purely from a build quality perspective and the fact it fits and stays in its HDMI port.

I think that sums it up, it appears your £14 cable did not meet even the basic HDMI Specification (Otherwise it wouldn’t fall out or be a poor fit) and that’s the only reason you notice a difference, however correctly made HDMI cables (£5 or £200) will produce NO difference in picture or sound.

Bill

 

Sliced Bread's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 28/07/2010 - 14:46
Posts: 1484
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

BenLaw wrote:

Thanks for the info duaplex  Smile Obviously I remain skeptical about your reported changes and your wife's awareness of any testing, but I don't think we'll be able to take it any further, and I'm pleased that you've found an improvement for a modest outlay  Smile


Yep thanks duaplex for reporting.
Sliced Bread's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 28/07/2010 - 14:46
Posts: 1484
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

CnoEvil wrote:

I would politely ask that it is now time to back off Duaplex, who reported what he heard, hasn't spent a fortune, has been backed up by people who have heard the same cable and is not insisting that anyone follow suit without trying for themselves.

I know from experience that there is nothing that he can say that will convince the sceptics of what he has heard, and the counter argument has now been clearly made......so further ganging up on him serves little purpose.

I'm not going to comment further on this.

Cno

 


Exactamondo.
davidvann's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 20/10/2010 - 13:16
Posts: 165
RE: I was wrong about HDMI cables!

hear hear cno,they say a bees should'nt be able to fly but they do,is it not possiable that some hdmi cables work better than others.as i said in my eairler comment for those who dont beleive ,give a go see if you could borrow one from a shop.To give you guys an idea  i being looking at hifi company on line who sell cd dvd cleaner,which you spray the cd/dvd on both sides and gently rub with your finger,when we buy a new cd /dvd and you take it from the case it looks perfectly clean ,so i thought give a go,it wasnt cheap £43 pounds ,i didnt think it would work ,but how wrong was i, cd sounded like there was another layer of music there i was gob smacked,and on blurays there was greater detail on picture and sound.There are some good guys out who dont want to rob you of your hard earned cash,i'm not saying this cleaning fluid will work for everyone,but it gave great results. isn'nt this what we all try to achive to get the best out of are systems ,if you dont try we wont know.cheers david       

Pages

Log in or register to post comments