Have your say & ask the experts!

Help me pick an awesome sub - interested up to £1,500

14 replies [Last post]
alex-manchester's picture

Hello all,

Not been on this forum before. I have just moved house and replaced my old cathode ray telly. Never had a home cinema kit before, and I have gone  bit crazy. My new living room is 4.5m x 4.5m, with an additional bay window (in which the satellit speakers will go), and I have bought:

1. A Panasonic 55VT50 Plasma screen.

2. A Pioneer SCLX-56 A/V receiver.

3. Monitor Audio's Shadow Speaker range for a 7.1 set up, i.e. 3 front, 2 side speakers and 2 rear speakers. 

4. Cambridge Audio's Azur 752BD Blu Ray player.

I got the AV receiver and most of the speakers in a 5.1 package deal from richer sounds - the sub that came included is the Monitor Audio BXW-10 sub.

None of it is even plugged in yet. Someone is coming round to set it all up for me, thank the lord. Chasing the cables into the walls was a nightmare, but I will post a pic to say thanks when it is all up and running!

I'm posting because I think my sub is the weak link. I want a better one. I am willing to go up to about £1,500. My friend has a BK Monolith, but here are a couple that have taken my fancy: B&W PV1D and REL 328 or 528. I would like, when playing 2 channel stereo, to have the sub playing too (I think this is called a speaker line input?).

If I can get real quality, I think I would prefer the more accurate, less boomy type of sound. I am hoping for this sort of money that the tightest, most musical subs out there will still make my set up sound pretty damn good, so I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions. I am also wondering whether to keep the sub I already have and use it as a second one, or should I only use identical subs in the same system....

many thanks,

alex

duaplex's picture
RE: Help me pick an awesome sub - interested up to £1,500

I have the PV1 and its a fantastic sub, the PV1-D would get my vote, but be warned I find it hard to place the sub because of its dual drivers. A sub that is only forward firing can be placed without anything obstructing its speaker. But, the PV1-D with its unique design will need some room. Otherwise one driver will be firing into your cabinet or speaker while the other into the room etc.

How about the MX700 MK3?

Panasonic 65" 3D TV (P65VT50), Pioneer LX83, CA, Azur 751BD, PS3, Water Cooled Xbox 360 (Modded), Nintendo Wii U, Xbox One, Sony PS4, Sky HD+, i7 PC overclocked with Nvidia 780 GTX, CM8 Fronts (Bi-Amped), CMC Center (Bi-Wired), DS3 Dipoles, PV1 Sub. Van Den Hul M.C. Snowtrack >Halogen Free< wiring, Chord Active Silver HDMI's, Cabridge Audio AUD700 Analogues Interconnects, QED Signature Subwoofer cables, Chunky Monkey custom oak AV cabinet.

CnoEvil's picture

Subs that I would put on your shortlist are:

- PV1-D (as stated)

- Paradigm Seismic 110

- Velodyne SPL1200 Ultra

- SVS SB13-Plus

....and KK Sound DXD 808 (as recommended by David of F.Harvey), Nb. Same sub as MX700 Mk.3

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

duaplex's picture

Indeed, he recommended that as a step up for me. David knows his stuff.

Panasonic 65" 3D TV (P65VT50), Pioneer LX83, CA, Azur 751BD, PS3, Water Cooled Xbox 360 (Modded), Nintendo Wii U, Xbox One, Sony PS4, Sky HD+, i7 PC overclocked with Nvidia 780 GTX, CM8 Fronts (Bi-Amped), CMC Center (Bi-Wired), DS3 Dipoles, PV1 Sub. Van Den Hul M.C. Snowtrack >Halogen Free< wiring, Chord Active Silver HDMI's, Cabridge Audio AUD700 Analogues Interconnects, QED Signature Subwoofer cables, Chunky Monkey custom oak AV cabinet.

BenLaw's picture

I don't know how much of an improvement the pv1d is but I was not impressed when I heard the pv1 and the measurements I have seen of it are pretty terrible. 

Rel and bk are obviously good shouts. If EQ is considered to be important then you may want to consider a sub with it included, such as jl audio. If you want something small to complement the shadow speakers then I thought the paradigm seismic was very impressive. 

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

buzz_lightclick's picture

I have an as yet unused PV1D, bought nearly new from someone who replaced it was an SVS SB13 which he thinks goes much lower and louder, but is almost too much and difficult to control. Living in a flat I couldn't get away with a sub like that without upsetting the neighbours!

Home Cinema: Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A, Sky+HD 2TB, Oppo BDP-95EU, Pioneer SC-LX83, Monitor Audio Apex (4xA10s,1xA40), B&W PV1D.

Cables: QED Signature subwoofer lead, Van den Hul Clearwater and QED Silver Micro speaker cables, Chord Active and Audioquest Pearl HDMIs.

Headphones: B&W P7, Bose QC3.

Gaming: PS3 Slim 320GB, Sony Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0.

Misc: Apple TV3, Arcam rCube, Kef Picoforte 3, Iphone 4S 64GB, iPad Air.

I tried to help you pick an awesome sub...

Removed.

If I can't make a genuine recommendation to a genuine question, I don't see any point in taking part in this thread. I can either openly and transparently make recommendations (I'm not hiding who I am), or I can have them made by other people. Surely this way is preferred.

David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry

Official Record Store Day participants!

Don't rule out the BK's.

If you read the reviews on their site you'll see they get favourably compared to models 2 or 3 times their cost. Given the Monolith + (upgrade on the still-available Monolith) is only £550 then I'd definitely consider it. If you really want to splash out get two. Only issue is you can't demo it as they only sell directly (hence the price - no dealer margin). That's how I bought my first REL though - never regeretted it. Perhaps you could persuade your friend to let you borrow his?

They used to make the REL's when Richard Lord first started out, so know a thing or two about subs. And they are very flexible in terms of connections - you can even have separate home cinema and audio connections into it.

My father has one of the little ones (Gemini) which is nice / good value. If I was going for a sub to place my REL (not the original one) I think the Monolith + would be my default choice (in an Ayre / Harbeth system). Just think how many BlueRay discs / downloads you could buy with the money you save?!

ellisdj's picture

There are loads of subs available for that money - BK's are very highly regarded for the money - and full stop.

My XXLS400 blew another forum member away who came round for a demo - he has a Paradigm sub15 which is a £3k retail sub.,

Not saying my BK is better just that I have set it up really well .  SVS are very popular no experience of them

Depends ultimately on what you want - real low end perfomance or musicality or both - both is difficult to get hence my comments below

I would try and get up to david @ Frank Harvey for a dem of the KK 12" duo or 8" - not sure the exact names they are very interesting to me anyway

I would def factor / budget in bass managment in the form of an antimode or similar (if its not included).  If you dont then you very likely wont hear the benefits of the money you have spent on a better sub over a cheaper one in your room unless you are very lucky.

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

EvilWolf's picture
RE: I tried to help you pick an awesome sub...

David,

Your opinion is one that I value tremendously.

Your KNOWLEDGE and UNBIASED recommendations is definitely a virtue.

Unlike some retailers here who blatantly always manage to drive any opinion towards their own products, you have never done that.

Keep doing what you do best.

EvilWolf

HC - PIONEER PDP-LX6090, JAMO D600, ONKYO TX-NR5009, PIONEER    

BDP-LX91, SONY BDP-S790

HF - ROKSAN CASPIAN M2 AMP, ROKSAN CASPIAN M2 CD, PMC 20/23

Thank you EvilWolf.

I only noticed your post while I was looking for another thread - I'm glad I looked.

duaplex's picture

We all sure those sentiments David. I just wish you was closer to where I lived Sad

jcshutts's picture

I'm grateful to you also David for your advice and I would never mistrust your views purely because you rave about a product which you also sell. Keep up the support for this forum!

Thanks Duaplex and JC. It'll take much more than that to put me off! Smile

Apologies - posted in the wrong place.