29 posts / 0 new
Last post
6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 26/10/2007 - 18:16
Posts: 2981
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

AndyWright wrote:

...Did you notice these issues at the Cinema? 

Saw it on a regular screen at Showcase Cinema, Cabot Circus, and the Imax version at Waterloo - neither of which had orange skintones, nor was Bane's dialogue-mix overbearing. Which is why the iffy Blu-ray is all the more galling  |(

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 17:55
Posts: 1512
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

Do you have a calibrated TV?

 

Why do you find Banes voice over bearing - to me its just distinct that ads character to the character

 

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, PLC 150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

65VT65, UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO,

gel's picture
Online
Last seen: 14 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13918
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

I did find Bane's voice strange when I first watch it, but now I think it is brilliant!

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 26/10/2007 - 18:16
Posts: 2981
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

ellisdj wrote:

Do you have a calibrated TV?

Yes. But it also has 'normal' settings - and all display orange skintones.

And to be more specific, the orange effect is inconsistent. For example, during the scene in Wayne Manor's entrance hall, when Bruce and Alfred are observing Blake driving away and then discuss Bane and the hospitalised Gordon, Christian Bale's face looks normal / pale but Michael Caine's is orange.

ellisdj wrote:

Why do you find Banes voice over bearing - to me its just distinct that ads character to the character

It's overbearing because it's much louder compared to other characters sharing a scene - eg, the first Batman vs Bane fight. And IIRC, it was not so at the cinema.

Although, perhaps there's been a remix for the Blu-ray because many complained that Bane was unitelligible in the cinema version? 

professorhat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 28/12/2007 - 11:34
Posts: 11033
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

I watched the film not long after getting it on Blu-ray and can't say I noticed anything unusual.

I've just literally put it back on and, for most of the scenes, the colour level looks fine to me. There are a couple of scenes where you could say people do have an orange hue to them (one of them being the scene where Selina Kyle sells Bruce Wayne's fingerprints that you've linked to on the previous page). However, these scenes are set in places where the light would naturally give an orange glow i.e. low level warm lighting in the ball room, in the hallway outside Selina's flat and, in the scene you've shown on the first page, in a bar. All of these places have "orange" lights, which would naturally give the appearance of an orange hue, especially on film. Outside of these areas, everything looks normal to me.

6th.replicant wrote:

And to be more specific, the orange effect is inconsistent. For example, during the scene in Wayne Manor's entrance hall, when Bruce and Alfred are observing Blake driving away and then discuss Bane and the hospitalised Gordon, Christian Bale's face looks normal / pale but Michael Caine's is orange.

Just watched the above as well, certainly Christian is very pale - he's meant to be of course given he's spent the last few years in solitude in his mansion. Alfred has more colour and therefore might look unnatural as a result?

 

The owls are not what they seem...

6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 26/10/2007 - 18:16
Posts: 2981
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

professorhat wrote:

I watched the film not long after getting it on Blu-ray and can't say I noticed anything unusual.

I've just literally put it back on and, for most of the scenes, the colour level looks fine to me. There are a couple of scenes where you could say people do have an orange hue to them (one of them being the scene where Selina Kyle sells Bruce Wayne's fingerprints that you've linked to on the previous page). However, these scenes are set in places where the light would naturally give an orange glow i.e. low level warm lighting in the ball room, in the hallway outside Selina's flat and, in the scene you've shown on the first page, in a bar. All of these places have "orange" lights, which would naturally give the appearance of an orange hue, especially on film. Outside of these areas, everything looks normal to me.

6th.replicant wrote:

And to be more specific, the orange effect is inconsistent. For example, during the scene in Wayne Manor's entrance hall, when Bruce and Alfred are observing Blake driving away and then discuss Bane and the hospitalised Gordon, Christian Bale's face looks normal / pale but Michael Caine's is orange.

Just watched the above as well, certainly Christian is very pale - he's meant to be of course given he's spent the last few years in solitude in his mansion. Alfred has more colour and therefore might look unnatural as a result?

Sure, 'warm' ambient lighting and Alfred's healthier complexion make sense, but the latter, in the scene mentioned, looks as if he's been digitally colourised or the makeup dept's been overzealous with the slap.

And the orange-hued skintones standout all the more when it's a flashback scene from either BB or TDK, especially when having seen the scenes only a few hours earlier in their actual film, where the actors did not look as if they were suffering from acute jaundice.

Perhaps my TV needs some fundamental resetting, specifically for TDKR? Weird. 

Still a magnificent movie, mind.  

6th.replicant's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 26/10/2007 - 18:16
Posts: 2981
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

Tried raising the Brightness level by 4 clicks and raising Colour by 2. Seems to have helped, a wee bit.

But with that setting all other BDs / DVDs now look 'soft'.

Odd, must be an anomaly with an LG plasma / Pioneer BDP combo 'not liking' the TDKR BD :?    

Cofnchtr's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 04/10/2007 - 17:46
Posts: 1413
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

Hi,

Just watched the BD - nothing untoward showing at all.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Oldboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 13/09/2007 - 15:49
Posts: 2566
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

Another positive from me, I've found TDKR to be a fabulous quality disc.

Incidently I went to see it at the BFI Imax in Waterloo when it came out and can report that Banes voice was fine to me with the mix spot on, considering the heavy duty breathing equipment attatched to his face you have to expect it be hard to pick out some dialogue but I think it adds authenticity. At the BFI Imax I noticed a vast jump in picture quality whenever an Imax shot filled the screen...those shots seemed like HD and then when the screen went back to a regular shot the picture quality took a nose dive and looked almost SD in nature.

I've had no issues with the bluray with either sound or picture quality, yes there are those instances that you point to where skin tones look slighly orange but I find it never sticks out to the detriment of picture quality. I have a soft spot for TDK so I've just watched them back to back today and must say that I noticed TDKR opening scene with the plane to be an immediate jump in picture quality when compared to anything in TDKR and that level never drops throughout the whole film, for 2D it's now my go to test disc after using the opening of TDK since the disc came out.

For me, with my set up, it's a brilliant quality disc and an essential purchase...it helps that the film is a compelling watch and so well written, acted and shot, what a way to wrap up the best movie trilogy in some considerable time!

Samsung UE55F8000 TV (THX professional calibrated), Dali Zensor 5 7.1 (front presence configuration), Sony BDPS790, Yamaha RX-A2020, Marantz PM6004, Marantz CD6003, Virgin TiVo 1TB, Playstation 4, Playstation 3, WD TV Live, WD My Book World 1TB.

terripotter5's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 30/05/2014 - 17:47
Posts: 1
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

I was very disappointed in my copy of TDKR. In direct comparison to our dvd copy, the sound quality was terrible and the picture quality wasn't worth it.

Whilst the scenes of city vistas were crisp and amazingly detailed, the ordinary scene quality was barely dvd standard, with the characters in the forefront being in focus, but not to expected blu-ray standards, and the backgrounds were very out of focus, when on the dvd they were also in focus.

The sound quality as mentioned was poor. In the plane scene the sfx and peoples voices were quiet, but Bane's voice boomed out of proportion to everything else. At first I thought it was because Surround sound had been selected when we don't have that set up - which it was, but on selecting the standard audio whilst the quality was better, it later started varying again, with Bane's voice booming loudly, drowning out everything else. I didn't have these problems with BB or TDK, only with TDKR.

TBH there is better quality watching my previous dvd on the blu-ray player.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13653
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

It sounds like a problem with your setup rather than the disc itself (assuming it's a genuine disc and not a pirated copy). My copy has none of the problems you're describing.

VoodooDoctor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 23 hours ago
Joined: 23/09/2007 - 18:52
Posts: 1056
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?
Glacialpath's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 07/04/2010 - 10:53
Posts: 625
RE: Faulty 'Dark Knight Rises' Blu-ray?

Unfortunately the mix of this film is aweful. I thought it sounded aweful in the cinema. Bane's voice is way to loud and the scene where Batman and Bane fight the audio is even worse. 

If your TV/Projector was Calibrated unless it is already it might help the face colours. Other than that it's just the grading they have applied to the picture.

Hi-Fi: Campridge audio D500 SE, DACMagic 1, C500, P500.. Monitor Audio BR1 speakers.

H-T: Pioneer; Kuro LX5090, BDP LX71, SC LX73. CA P500. SKY+HD. Rel Q50. Mordaunt Short Avant.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments