38 posts / 0 new
Last post
Boca's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 6 days ago
Joined: 09/05/2009 - 02:58
Posts: 129
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

I'm A Yay

Comic book to movies is a great thing.

The Biggest Problem was that the movie producers try to put their own spin on the movie, and create an entirely different movie from it.  Then they try to say that they wanted to be a little more creative with it.

 

 

Really…. You have a whole legion of comic book readers who watched the TV shows… or read the comic books and you think it is going to cut it to make up a story not even close to the real story.

The Hulk (2003) After watching this ( I asked if they even watched a Hulk movie or read a comic book )

                                                                   I couldn’t believe Stan Lee had his name on this. )

 

The Batman (Dark Knight Series was great ) it was done by someone who read comics in my opinion.

And a bigger budget.

 

The Watchmen I wasn’t a big fan of it. The comics.... but I watched the movie and was quite surprised how good it was. It opened my eyes to how badly the other comic book movies were and how good they could be.

 

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

Boca wrote:
The Hulk (2003) After watching this ( I asked if they even watched a Hulk movie or read a comic book )  I couldn’t believe Stan Lee had his name on this. )

Leaving aside your odd use of parentheses what was it you thought was different from the comics? Yes, they changed the origin but really a Gamma Bomb in this day and age doesn't work, we know what Gamma radiation is and we know a bomb like that would just vapourise Banner, it doesn't work. As I said in an earlier (excessively long) post, Hulk was more like the comic book version than any thing I've seen since, tossing tanks around, leaping for miles, that's all straight out of the comic books.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

Oldboy wrote:

All good points The_Lhc and nicely put :clap:

I did love Crouching Tiger and went to see it a few times it was that good but I wasn't convinced that style and pace of film making translated very well to The Hulk,

You must have liked the wipes and comic book-esque multi-framing though? I thought that was brilliant (not original exactly but even so).

Quote:
I do take your points on board though and perhaps I will give it another chance and try to watch it with fresh eyes, you are right though about Ang Lee...I imagine if he was announced now as directing a Hulk movie people would be excited after the excellent job he done with Life Of Pi which saved his career in the U.S. I guess the character of Bruce Banner is a difficult one to portray but I did think Norton got close but that Ruffalo nailed it, in fact any Hulk or Avengers movie without him would just seem plain stupid to me now and do hope they give a standalone movie a go with him in it.

I think Ruffalo is the closest to Bill Bixby's Banner, I know people laugh at the TV show, for good reason but Bixby was wonderful in it, the humanity in his portrayal is very touching I've always thought, I think Ruffalo could manage that, given half a chance. Don't get me wrong, if someone makes a great Hulk movie I will love it and hug it and call it George but it needs to be perfect this time (and as much as I love Ang Lee's Hulk it certainly isn't perfect, I do admit that. Incredible just didn't do it for me, I think partly because his face and hair was a little too rock star, I don't know).

Quote:
I must admit the last hour of Man Of Steel felt exhausting...so much is going on all the time that your senses just cry out for a break for a few minutes but never the less it was a very good reboot of Superman and far better than I expected it to be, I still like the Bryan Singer Superman Returns effort but I'm firmly in the minority there but I enjoyed it and thought it was nicely balanced.

I certainly didn't hate Returns, I just didn't think it did a great deal. It was... fine, nice, almost. I just think a Superman film needs to be more than just "fine" though. Just seemed a little lacking in scale and ambition somehow, I can't put my finger on it.

Quote:
Guardians of the Galaxy is one that passed me by too and something I have no knowledge of so the fact that a movie is well on the way of that and that it reportedly crosses into the Avengers universe is a little confusing to me

Well, all the Marvel Studio films are in the same universe now, so that's to be expected, must admit I'm not overly keen on where the overall direction is going, I never liked all that Skrull business and the inter-galactic side of things has always left me a little cold to be honest but I guess big movies need big scale.

Quote:
but I'm sure I will go and see it which perhaps sums up why some of the lesser known characters are getting movies because once you are invested in the Marvel universe you are pretty much going to see all the movies or at least a vast majority of people will.

I don't think I'll bother with it (Guardians) unless it gets VERY good reviews, I mean one of the lead characters is a raccoon fercrisssakes!

Quote:
That Superman Batman movie that is currently in the works does concern me as I'm with you on that one, just how is Batman going to even be able to get near him exactly? Perhaps it won't be a versus movie though and perhaps the start of the Justice League Of America??

From what I understand the provisional title (and reserved web address) has "Vs" in it, movies with Vs in them don't have a great track record (I'd love to see Robocop Vs Terminator though!).

Quote:
Dr Strange is a very weird character and my fears for that one is another Green Lantern where it's just not handled very well

Yeah, that wasn't great but my nephews love it (9 and 6), so what do I know?

Quote:
Just how I'm going to keep with all of these movies and buy the blurays is anyones guess and when you factor in sequels and prequels there could be a hell of a lot of comic book based movies out there in a few years time. I do trust Marvel with what they are doing as they have had incredible success in producing very good comic book movies that are made with care and attention and placed in the correct context but just how successful other studios will be in trying to replicate that success I'm not so sure about, I even worry about what direction Warner Bros will take with Batman now that Chris Nolan has finished his trilogy for example as those movies are up there as a perfect example of how to do a comic book movie along with the Avengers and their individual movies.

Yes, I know what you mean, although Nolan is still exec producing Batman/Superman, so should keep a firm hand on proceedings hopefully.

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 2981
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

I know green lantern was a bit poo, but the mask bit was genius!

 

i hope they give Ryan Reynolds another go though, he can be very good when the script allows it.  He was ace in The Nines.

DocG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 49 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2012 - 19:47
Posts: 1108
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

I loved Frank Miller's Sin City, and so I'm anxiously waiting for the sequel, 'A Dame to Kill For', which is due next year.

The superhero movies leave me a bit cold, I must say. I sometimes watch one when on telly, but often feel I wasted my time...

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

Paul. wrote:
i hope they give Ryan Reynolds another go though, he can be very good when the script allows it.  He was ace in The Nines.

That could get confusing, apparently they're actively discussing a Deadpool movie, although it won't be linked to the Wolverine Deadpool. If that's like the comic books and they let him swear properly that could be good, I can't see it happening that way though...

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

DocG wrote:
I loved Frank Miller's Sin City, and so I'm anxiously waiting for the sequel, 'A Dame to Kill For', which is due next year.

I'm not, Sin City was ok but the shooting style was its whole USP, they only thing that made it stand out. If they just repeat that again it won't have the same impact, it's just repeating it for the sake of it. This is Hollywood though...

Andy Grange's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/08/2007 - 19:21
Posts: 345
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

Just a thought, but are these types of movies a knock-on effect of the writers strike and lack of new material coming through? If you look at the comics and characters that have been around for a number of years, they have huge back stories which film makers can effectively pick and choose pieces from with which to make movies. There is obviously still screenplays / script writing to be done, but the core story and background are effectively there for the taking.

 

I love these type of movies by the way

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2943
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

Yes!

 

I love em all, even the bad ones. (Tank girl was one of the worst).

Loved Spawn!

Loved both Hulk films, Transformers films

Loved Daredevil, Green lantern, X-men (all of them). Sin City, Watchmen, Spiderman (all), Superman (all of them).

And probably any I missed Smile

Batman is my least favourite strangely, not got round to watching the last one.

 

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

Andy Grange wrote:
Just a thought, but are these types of movies a knock-on effect of the writers strike and lack of new material coming through? If you look at the comics and characters that have been around for a number of years, they have huge back stories which film makers can effectively pick and choose pieces from with which to make movies. There is obviously still screenplays / script writing to be done, but the core story and background are effectively there for the taking.

I think it's the usual story with Hollywood, a couple of film of genre X are successful (Spider-Man, Iron Man) and then everyone decides to have a go. It didn't really go crazy until those two succeeded, you'd already had stinkers like Daredevil and every attempt at The Punisher before that.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

fr0g wrote:
Batman is my least favourite strangely, not got round to watching the last one.

I know what you mean I still haven't watched Rises, although I feel like I have thanks to the Bristol Show this year and as much as I liked Begins and TDK I've never watched them again since the first time I saw them.

Mind you I still haven't seen Man of Steel or Iron Man 3 yet, I do take a while to get round to these things, I bought Kick-Ass on blu-ray months ago and still haven't opened it. The missus won't want to watch that one though, even if it has got John Lennon in it.

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2010 - 21:44
Posts: 2981
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

fr0g wrote:

Yes!

 

Loved Spawn!

I just wish they spent less money rendering Spawn's cape and more money on everything else Smile

 

 

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2943
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:
Batman is my least favourite strangely, not got round to watching the last one.

I know what you mean I still haven't watched Rises, although I feel like I have thanks to the Bristol Show this year and as much as I liked Begins and TDK I've never watched them again since the first time I saw them.

Mind you I still haven't seen Man of Steel or Iron Man 3 yet, I do take a while to get round to these things, I bought Kick-Ass on blu-ray months ago and still haven't opened it. The missus won't want to watch that one though, even if it has got John Lennon in it.

 

Kick-Ass is probably the best of the lot! And the missus will love it!

fr0g's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 3 hours ago
Joined: 07/01/2008 - 18:38
Posts: 2943
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

The_Lhc wrote:

Andy Grange wrote:
Just a thought, but are these types of movies a knock-on effect of the writers strike and lack of new material coming through? If you look at the comics and characters that have been around for a number of years, they have huge back stories which film makers can effectively pick and choose pieces from with which to make movies. There is obviously still screenplays / script writing to be done, but the core story and background are effectively there for the taking.

I think it's the usual story with Hollywood, a couple of film of genre X are successful (Spider-Man, Iron Man) and then everyone decides to have a go. It didn't really go crazy until those two succeeded, you'd already had stinkers like Daredevil and every attempt at The Punisher before that.

 

I watched Daredevil, bought the DVD and have watched at least 5 or 6 times. LOVE IT ! Smile 

 

Don't get me wrong, it isn't a great film. But there's just something about it that keeps me coming back. I found the same with A.I. too which most people hated

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12909
RE: Comic book movies - yay or nay?

fr0g wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

fr0g wrote:
Batman is my least favourite strangely, not got round to watching the last one.

I know what you mean I still haven't watched Rises, although I feel like I have thanks to the Bristol Show this year and as much as I liked Begins and TDK I've never watched them again since the first time I saw them.

Mind you I still haven't seen Man of Steel or Iron Man 3 yet, I do take a while to get round to these things, I bought Kick-Ass on blu-ray months ago and still haven't opened it. The missus won't want to watch that one though, even if it has got John Lennon in it.

Kick-Ass is probably the best of the lot!

It'll have to go some to beat Dredd, that's currently my favourite, even with the flaws (which are mainly down to the Mega-city setting but that's more of a budgetary constraint really).

Quote:
And the missus will love it!

Trust me she won't, she hates all of that stuff, I have to watch them when she's out, which explains why it takes me so long to catch up with everyone else.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments