38 posts / 0 new
Last post
jordanfx's picture
RE: Cambridge Audio Azur 751BD or dedicated CD player?

what do tou mean about the bass.i am looking to change to a universal unit.i do have a cambridge cd player 640 v2 very good on bass.currently looking at/waiting for the 752 to come out.must be fairly similar to 751.also looking at oppo 103 but would like dedicated stereo outputs for cd playback.oppo 105 to expensive.

FennerMachine's picture
RE: Updated budget

With regard to the bass, it seems to be missing the lowest frequencies. Things like bass guitar can be followed with ease but drums seem almost non-existant. There is almost no impact to the bass. It could be another part of my system causing it but the CD7Q had more impact. Maybe it will 'run in' but I doubt it.

duaplex's picture

Good call, let it burn in a little and I'm sure it will get even better. 

FennerMachine's picture

The audio seems to be getting better the more I use the 751BD.

I haven't been able to listen much this week but it sounded good today.

A few club tunes and Guns n Roses sounded better, more impact from the bass.

I was able to put a few CD's on and just play them – I often swap CD's out for favourite tracks, didn't need to, just enjoyed the music!

Dan Turner's picture

I'm not sure how I managed to miss this thread until now - I'm a happy 751 user and I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment from it. Fenner: Tip - be sure to (re) set-up your TV using a calibration disc, and use the fine picture adjustment on the 751 to do a more accurate job than your TV can - especially with the colours if you can get hold of the relevant colour viewing filters, and also tweak up the sharpness by a couple of notches on the 751 - makes an amazing difference to the picture.

Feel free to disregard this opinion but I think the issue with the sound may be more of a difference in presentation between your old CDP and the 751 rather than things being better or worse, and you'll grow accustomed to it over time. I have tried many times to tell the difference between mine connected to the rest of my system via analogue versus digital and for the life of me I can't, which suggests to me that the DAC and the analogue parts of the player must be pretty damn good.

FennerMachine's picture

Thanks Dan.

I have a calibration disc, Digital Video Essentials HD Basics.

I've used it before when setting up the PC to TV. I gave it a quick go when I first got the 751BD. I'm quite happy with the picture as is but will spend a bit more time one day doing a more thorough job.

I think my TV is quite good with its settings but will give a go using the 751BD as well to see if it can be even better.

I think you might be right about the audio. I'm beginning to enjoy it more now.

I plan on getting new speakers next week that should work better with the Quad amps so that should improve things further.

Dan Turner's picture

FennerMachine wrote:

I have a calibration disc, Digital Video Essentials HD Basics.

thats the one I've got too.

Hope you enjoy your new set-up

Pages