60 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12864
I think it was around £60/m2

I think it was around £60/m2 (maybe a little less) and it was probably 4 years ago. The floor was laid, sanded and varnished on site. The colour is effected by how it's finished (IIRC Water or Oil Based varnish).

Is there any way you can get to see a sample, and see how the finish effects it....these were available when I bought mine.

You need to talk this over with them.....especially it's stability with UF Heating.

If I can dig out any further details, I will post them.

EDIT. Here are the actual details:

Dealt with David (owner I think) and Tom (technical/practical)

Factory @ Newtownards (028 91 280 028)

Date June 07   Shok

Price £60

Siberian Tiger Oak - small knot / 6" Plank

Oil Laquer, finished with Water based....gives a deeper "honey" finish than Water based alone.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13682
Was it the 15mm one then?

Drinks

Was it the 15mm one then?

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12864
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Drinks

Was it the 15mm one then?

No, it was the 21mm.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

michael hoy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 18:56
Posts: 1660
Flooring

Hi BB,

I know these people are only suppliers, but may help you decide and they are very helpful.

We had some reclaimed dance floor (American Oak) fitted in our dinning room 20 years ago and is still looking good.

Sold the house to a relative so still see the floor.

We re varnished after 10 years with a water based varnish.

I would stay away from laminate.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13682
CnoEvil wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Drinks

Was it the 15mm one then?

No, it was the 21mm.

Thanks!! So the prices appear to have gone up since then (as it starts from £60/m2 now, & they have 15 & 21mm versions). I haven't received any response to my email. I called them yesterday morning, and the concerned person wa meant to call me back yesterday. This hasn't happened as yet. Oh well, if they don't want my business.....

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13682
michael hoy wrote:

michael hoy wrote:

Hi BB,

I know these people are only suppliers, but may help you decide and they are very helpful.

We had some reclaimed dance floor (American Oak) fitted in our dinning room 20 years ago and is still looking good.

Sold the house to a relative so still see the floor.

We re varnished after 10 years with a water based varnish.

I would stay away from laminate.

Cheers for this! Will most likely go for engineered wood in the lounge and hallway, and ceramic in kitchen / family area. Still undecided on bedrooms. Don't want carpet. OH wants laminate for the bedrooms as it's easy to maintain. I'm going to visit a showroom over the weekend & speak to them...

michael hoy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 18:56
Posts: 1660
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Cheers for this! Will most likely go for engineered wood in the lounge and hallway, and ceramic in kitchen / family area. Still undecided on bedrooms. Don't want carpet. OH wants laminate for the bedrooms as it's easy to maintain. I'm going to visit a showroom over the weekend & speak to them...

The house we are currently in has Cherry laminate flooring,  my wife categorically states that it is a pain to maintain.

Edit: Should have said in one of the bedrooms.

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13682
Thanks. In what way is it a

Thanks. In what way is it a pain? Need to convince the boss....

robinkiddie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 17/07/2014 - 08:45
Posts: 8
Not keen

Wood floor is def in vogue. Cheap and nasty IS just that and the best is good but imo you cant beat carpet. Carpet tiles in the kitchen are washable or just replace one or two. All our floors need a quick vacuum and thats it really. Acoustically no contest (not just hifi but general 'sound' of a hard floor is not pleasant to me. Carpets are warm & cosy. Easy to clean. Stain resistant (Vanish spray is brilliant). Not really much help but just an opinion. Bedrooms and lounge - must be carpet for me. Thank goodness weez all different.

Yamaha V2065. MS 8's, 1,5,9. Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD live TV. Galaxy 10.1

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 12 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2463
robinkiddie wrote:

robinkiddie wrote:

Wood floor is def in vogue. Cheap and nasty IS just that and the best is good but imo you cant beat carpet. Carpet tiles in the kitchen are washable or just replace one or two. All our floors need a quick vacuum and thats it really. Acoustically no contest (not just hifi but general 'sound' of a hard floor is not pleasant to me. Carpets are warm & cosy. Easy to clean. Stain resistant (Vanish spray is brilliant). Not really much help but just an opinion. Bedrooms and lounge - must be carpet for me. Thank goodness weez all different.

I agree with you for lounge and bedrooms. If you have kids who jump off the beds, you certainly want carpets in their bedrooms(and probably your own as they will do it there too and the noise is horrendous). For the lounge carpet is far better for the hifi and more cosy. Kitchen no. Ceramic tiles are far easier to clean ( Karndean would be good too as it is easy to replace as well as clean) . My mum had carpet tiles in the kichen and they were a complete nightmare even when scrubbed with vanish.

robinkiddie's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 17/07/2014 - 08:45
Posts: 8
I've no axe to grind but

I've no axe to grind but replacing carpet tiles is cheap and easy and they wash well. I keep spares in case of major spills. I bounce too many platest for hard flooring

Yamaha V2065. MS 8's, 1,5,9. Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD live TV. Galaxy 10.1

michael hoy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 06/10/2008 - 18:56
Posts: 1660
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Thanks. In what way is it a pain? Need to convince the boss....

Hi BB,

Added an edit to my post to state the flooring is in one of the bedrooms.

My wife tells me it attracts dust like a magnet, she has not come home from work yet so i will ask her later for more detail.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12864
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Drinks

Was it the 15mm one then?

No, it was the 21mm.

Thanks!! So the prices appear to have gone up since then (as it starts from £60/m2 now, & they have 15 & 21mm versions). I haven't received any response to my email. I called them yesterday morning, and the concerned person wa meant to call me back yesterday. This hasn't happened as yet. Oh well, if they don't want my business.....

I'm not really surprised that prices have gone up over 7 years.

It's not good that they haven't shown any interest in your enquiry.....though IME, it should be worth the extra effort (it is holiday season at the minute, so stuff often falls through the cracks).

FWIW. I went with laminate (Wild Cherry mat finish) for all the reasons that has put it on your radar, but was delighted when it was removed. It just didn't quite look or feel like wood, it showed the dust, it was noisy, it showed white when damaged.....and effed up the sound. 

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13682
Thanks for all the advice so

Thanks for all the advice so far! I went to the shops yesterday to look at some flooring. Definitely going for engineered wood for the lounge, hallway and family area. I was actually very impressed with vinyl tiles, which I could consider for the bedrooms! 

For the master bedroom, I've seen something very special:

http://www.ecoflooringuk.com/content/statement/recl-oak-chev.html

I've asked for some quotes.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12864
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

For the master bedroom, I've seen something very special:

http://www.ecoflooringuk.com/content/statement/recl-oak-chev.html

I've asked for some quotes.

Now you're talking!

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Pages

Log in or register to post comments