60 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12570
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Wow! Keep the suggestions coming in!!  Yahoo

The plank company looks very good, although expensive. Will contact them, at least for the ground floor. Howdens is for tradesmen only. Will give them a call.

Let me know how you get on.

IIRC they were the only company that i came across to give a decent warranty, so ask about that....but they aren't cheap.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13223
CnoEvil wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

Let me know how you get on.

IIRC they were the only company that i came across to give a decent warrenty, so ask about that....but they aren't cheap.

I've just emailed them. I think if the quality is well worth it, then I will consider it to be an investment.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12570
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

Let me know how you get on.

IIRC they were the only company that i came across to give a decent warrenty, so ask about that....but they aren't cheap.

I've just emailed them. I think if the quality is well worth it, then I will consider it to be an investment.

The quality is as good as it gets.

I went with 21mm Tiger Oak, which being grown in a cold climate is harder (due to growing more slowly).  http://www.plankco.com/native-european-collection/siberian-tiger-oak-rustic/

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

VoodooDoctor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 23/09/2007 - 18:52
Posts: 1056
My experience with tiled floors and room treatment

In my previous house, we had engineered wood flooring, it was very good looking and hard wearing. It needs to be properly installed and maintained but we felt it was worth the investment. We had a couple of Karndean tiled floors in the bathrooms too. It was hard wearing and looked great but was expensive. They do wood effect too.

In the current house, my cinema room has a porcelain tiled floor with underfloor heating (very nice underfoot in the winter). I found that there was a marked slap echo and slightly muddled bass. I tamed some of this with artwork on box canvases, a fabric sofa with lots of cushions and a rug on the floor. I also bought some fabric blinds for the windows (I had metal blinds in those at first). The most effective acoustic treatment though (as you would expect!) was to install some proper bass trapping in the front corners and at the first reflection points (I highly recommend Gik Acoustics for their advice service and their products - they now do bass traps with pictures printed on them). I still want to add some trapping on the ceiling at the reflection point there. This has resulted in the stereo, unequalised hifi sound becoming unmuddled and doing justice to the speakers and amplification.

After that the final part of taming the room came with using Audyssey XT32 on the pre-amplifier for movie watching. I managed to get a Pro kit to calibrate it so its working at its full potential but the basic setup still worked very well.

I think a stepwise approach using all the suggestions in this thread, once you have your room installed is the best way of getting to a sound you are happy with. The bass trapping was expensive (but worth it to me) and you may not feel that you need it. AVForums has a whole forum with guidance on room treatment.

VoodooDoctor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 23/09/2007 - 18:52
Posts: 1056
Tried to edit my post but it

Tried to edit my post but it keeps saying that I triggered the spam filter...

Wanted to add that I also have bass trapping on the back wall.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12570
VoodooDoctor wrote:

VoodooDoctor wrote:

In my previous house, we had engineered wood flooring, it was very good looking and hard wearing. It needs to be properly installed and maintained but we felt it was worth the investment. We had a couple of Karndean tiled floors in the bathrooms too. It was hard wearing and looked great but was expensive. They do wood effect too.

In the current house, my cinema room has a porcelain tiled floor with underfloor heating (very nice underfoot in the winter). I found that there was a marked slap echo and slightly muddled bass. I tamed some of this with artwork on box canvases, a fabric sofa with lots of cushions and a rug on the floor. I also bought some fabric blinds for the windows (I had metal blinds in those at first). The most effective acoustic treatment though (as you would expect!) was to install some proper bass trapping in the front corners and at the first reflection points (I highly recommend Gik Acoustics for their advice service and their products - they now do bass traps with pictures printed on them). I still want to add some trapping on the ceiling at the reflection point there. This has resulted in the stereo, unequalised hifi sound becoming unmuddled and doing justice to the speakers and amplification.

After that the final part of taming the room came with using Audyssey XT32 on the pre-amplifier for movie watching. I managed to get a Pro kit to calibrate it so its working at its full potential but the basic setup still worked very well.

I think a stepwise approach using all the suggestions in this thread, once you have your room installed is the best way of getting to a sound you are happy with. The bass trapping was expensive (but worth it to me) and you may not feel that you need it. AVForums has a whole forum with guidance on room treatment.

If BB's Big Boss won't go for carpet, I suspect room treatment would not get passed as a viable option (and that's the polite way of putting it). Nea

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

VoodooDoctor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 23/09/2007 - 18:52
Posts: 1056
That's why I mentioned the

That's why I mentioned the printed artwork on the bass traps.

If there really isn't much negotiation around some treatment of the room, then high quality equalisation like Audyssey, used for both hifi and movie listening, will probably be the only solution should it be difficult to tame.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13223
Cno is right. The real Big

Cno is right. The real Big boss won't approve of bass trappings. Sad I somehow managed to get her to agree on in-wall and in-ceiling speakers as she wants to maintin minimalism in the lounge (I've still not reminded her that the subwoofer needs space as well).  Secret

I might be able to convince her for printed canvas wall art though.......

richardw42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 02/05/2010 - 18:56
Posts: 1967
I want real wood flooring in

I want real wood flooring in my house, speaking to a floor layer, putting down a real wood is quite bothersome. 

I ended up going for the engineered stuff, and used this stuff.  

http://www.quick-step.co.uk/

Quick Step its very quick to fir. Not ridiculously expensive (if nosy dirt cheap)

i went for an oiled finish in oak and it looks fantastic. 

Glacialpath's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2010 - 10:53
Posts: 572
Re: Best Flooring

Big Boss not sure if you mentioned this but what are the dimentions of the room and what kind of layout will be able to get?

Is it just the surrounds that will be inwall or do you have to go for all your speakers inwall.?

I don't know if you've seen or heard this subwoofer and I know it looks like a radiator but trust me you will be blown away by how good it is. If I had the money I would buy 2 but to go with the inwall theam why not have a wall mounted subwoofer.

http://rel.net/products/habitat-1-landing/

I saw and heard one at the Bristol Show over the last 2 years. Launch year and this year where they intergrated it with 2 other Rel subwoofers. The difference in sound clarity was awesome.

Oh and it's wireless too.

Hi-Fi: Campridge audio D500 SE, DACMagic 1, C500, P500.. Monitor Audio BR1 speakers.

H-T: Pioneer; Kuro LX5090, BDP LX71, SC LX73. CA P500. SKY+HD. Rel Q50. Mordaunt Short Avant.

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2461
Karndean

bigboss wrote:

Wow! The world of flooring is much bigger than I thought!! Engineered wood looks really good. I always thought of vinyl as a low quality cheap option......Amtico & Karndean.......are they really that good?

I have Karndean in my hall,gym and kids playroom. I have had it for several years and it still looks good. I have not needed to do this, but because it comes in "planks", a damaged plank can be removed and replaced fairly easily (I cannot think of any other flooring to which that applies). This stuff is used commercially because it is so hard wearing. I have carpet where the hifi is, but if that is not allowed, one of the vinyls might work for you.
bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13223
Thanks. The dimensions are 17

Thanks. The dimensions are 17' X 13'.

Details here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/new-house-new-plans

I've heard the Habitat at the Bristol show, but I don't think I have any free walls for a wall mounted sub! Smile

ellisdj's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2008 - 17:55
Posts: 1420
bigboss wrote:

bigboss wrote:

Cno is right. The real Big boss won't approve of bass trappings. Sad I somehow managed to get her to agree on in-wall and in-ceiling speakers as she wants to maintin minimalism in the lounge (I've still not reminded her that the subwoofer needs space as well).  Secret

I might be able to convince her for printed canvas wall art though.......

Not printed canvas art - Printed Art Based Acoustic Panels - GIK do them with any picture you want.

Minimalism is the opposite to good sound quality generally, best shatter her plans now before its too late Smile

The attitude of the receiver has advanced eq so it doesnt matter actually is the opposite of true

Meridian 861 V4 LPSU, HD621, Bryston 9BSST - GIK Acoustics

Monitor Audio PL100, PLC 150 (Soon), GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA

Custom Audio PC LPSU + Batts, JPLAY, JCAT and PPA Studio

65VT65, UD7007, Graham Slee Cables, Isotek, XLO

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13223
Unfortunately, for me room

Unfortunately, for me room aesthetics is as important as sound. Besides, it's sensible to first check how it sounds before buying acoustic panels. And I have other priorities at the moment to spend money on.

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13223
CnoEvil wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

bigboss wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

Let me know how you get on.

IIRC they were the only company that i came across to give a decent warrenty, so ask about that....but they aren't cheap.

I've just emailed them. I think if the quality is well worth it, then I will consider it to be an investment.

The quality is as good as it gets.

I went with 21mm Tiger Oak, which being grown in a cold climate is harder (due to growing more slowly).  http://www.plankco.com/native-european-collection/siberian-tiger-oak-rustic/

The colour looks very nice! How much did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking? And when did you buy it?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments