11 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
1080P+
English

I was in COMET with the misses on the weekend and I was over hearing a sales guy trying to sell this punter a Monster HDMI lead which was 1080P+ compliant.

What the Hell is 1080P+

Any ideas folks

D.J.KRIME's picture
Re: 1080P+

Serious BS from that sales guy thats what it is.

I heard a slightly differant priceless bit of BS when I was in My local SONY store on Sunday. The Sales guy there was telling this bloke looking at their LCD TVs that the last thing He should buy is a Plasma because if You leave a Static Image on a Plasma for mroe than about 10mins the screen is perminatly ruined.

Amazing reaaly some of this guff these people come out with for their commision! Angry

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

But i looked at the cable he was trying to sell him and it said on the pack 1080P+ 120hrts

So monster must have made it in anticipation for the next generation of Flat Tv's which support this 1080P+, I have been doing a little digging on the WWW and I have found out that the + is 60fps instead of the 24 fps your getting with 1080P. How reliable the source is , i do not know but monster must know something we do not.

tvmog's picture

I saw a piece of equipment last week (can't remember what is was) that said it was 24/60fps compatable and wondered what it meant.

Clare Newsome's picture

It's American, innit.... Standard US (NTSC) framerate is 60hz - or 60fps. UK is 50hz/fps. Hence double refresh-rate sets in US being 120Hz and UK ones 100hz, which is another 'bigger' figure that can get some people overexcited.

Group Marketing & PR Manager, Computers Unlimited.

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

TWITTER: @ClareNewsome

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I saw something on the WWW that states that SONY are bringing out a 1080P+ player within the next year. so can we assume that the next generation of flat screens are going to be 100fps compliant.

So , are the latest generation of 1080P Full HD screens going to be redundant when this new format will be come available ???????????? or will they be able to run 60fps ???????

Clare Newsome's picture

Calm down! All good current UK flatscreens can already run 60fps - manufacturers like Panasonic, for example, make one panel that scans at all rates worldwide.

BTW: 1080p+ is digital footage shot in 1080p resolution but in 50/60fps speed rather than 24fps. 

Brands represented include Astell&Kern, Audioengine, B&O Play, Canton, Flexson for SONOS and SONOS

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

why I asked is that every time you by a bit of equipment for your home cinema, at the latest spec, 6 months down the line there is a newer improved display/audio format which makes your kit out of spec. I understand that is the nature of the electronics business.

Could it be possible to include a section on the website of your magazine which briefs your valued customers of future developments in audio/video technolgies, and how these will fit in with current specifications of  home cinema set up's.

Im really not trying to tell you how to do your job, its just a suggestion.

SOZ for the long post

D.J.KRIME's picture

The problem lies with the Sales teams whos job it is to SELL us the Public their products, so if it be a HDMI cable in this instance or say those oh-sooo high Contrast ratios on TVs that certain companys ever so slightly over claim, their aim is solely to make us believe that their product is somehow better than another.

With the whole HDMI cable issue, Companys are more than aware that the vast majority of the public are confused as to what all this 1080p buisness is all about, yet alone differnt frame rates like 24fps,50fps and 60fps. Hence using terms like 1080p+.

Clare Newsome's picture
craigybaby:

why I asked is that every time you by a bit of equipment for your home cinema, at the latest spec, 6 months down the line there is a newer improved display/audio format which makes your kit out of spec. I understand that is the nature of the electronics business.

Could it be possible to include a section on the website of your magazine which briefs your valued customers of future developments in audio/video technolgies, and how these will fit in with current specifications of  home cinema set up's.

Im really not trying to tell you how to do your job, its just a suggestion.

SOZ for the long post

We do cover all the new technologies and advances in our News section here (interesting Pioneer Blu-ray development story just gone up)  and in the magazine, and will continue to do so in-depth.

And to reassure you, there's certainly nothing in the next six months that'll make existing kit 'out of spec'!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Cheers for that.

Hope i did not offend with that suggestion.

With out What Hi Fi, home cinema would be even more of a mine field.

So thank you very much