Have your say & ask the experts!

yet more amp confusion, would you rather have an 80 watt class A amp or a 150 class A-B amp?

23 replies [Last post]
Rethep's picture
RE: Why not go for a complete

Why not go for a complete tube-amp, e.g. the Cayin A-88 or VP 100i ? The openness will surpass your choice of the H80 by miles. And do you really need that power of the hybrid ?

Airport Express (still analog), Artephonos Energa (power-tube-amp), Peitho 303 (speakers). Panasonic TX-P42G30 (tv).

iceman16's picture
RE:

I have demoed at home some class AB amps with power outputs like 200- 300w but still prefered lower output 35w pure class A. IMO pure class A gives a better grip on the speakers and sounded more round and natural even at higher volumes.

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

ISAC69's picture
RE:

The strange figure with the Cayin H80 is in 8 Ohm it is 80W class A and in 4 Ohm 150W class AB ???

I am not sure at all that it is a pure class A amp , I suspect it is class AB with a bias to class A up to a certain point .

Hi Fi : Proac Studio 140MK2 - Rotel RC1580 [PRE] - Rotel RB1582 [POWER] -Rotel RCD1520 [CDP]                   Headphones : B&W P7 . Cables : Tellurium Q Black speaker cables-Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnects-WireWorld Stratus 7 power cords  

AV ( 2.1 channels / Bypass mode )  : YAMAHA RXV767 - INFINITY PRIMUS PS8 sub

shafesk's picture

Rethep wrote:

Why not go for a complete tube-amp, e.g. the Cayin A-88 or VP 100i ? The openness will surpass your choice of the H80 by miles. And do you really need that power of the hybrid ?

Hi Rethep,

The reason I don't want to go higher up the Cayin tube amp range is because I have auditioned most of it and I am looking for exceptional dynamic headroom which they don't provide because they are limited in power output. I actually do need the power of the hybrid if I am sticking to my current speakers or speakers from most manufacturers, tube amps limit your speaker choice and although the Cayin range is more flexible than most tube amps with speakers, I would want an amp i am spending 3000 pounds on to have absolute power.

Hi-fi:

Denon DNP-720AE network streamer, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6, Cayin A-55 T, Technics-SLQ210, Denon DP-29F turntable, 540p, Dac-magic, Marantz 5004CD and 6025 Turntable, Mac ,Pure AV interconnects, QED Revelation speaker cables, QED Performance interconnects.

Head-fi:

Akg K702, Grado SR60i, UE Triple-fi, Musical Fidelity X-cans, HRT Music Streamer 2+

Macspur's picture
RE:

iceman16 wrote:

I have demoed at home some class AB amps with power outputs like 200- 300w but still prefered lower output 35w pure class A. IMO pure class A gives a better grip on the speakers and sounded more round and natural even at higher volumes.

Just goes to show Iceman... I found the complete opposite.  The Accuphase has a much more controlled tighter grip on the base of the Harbeths, than the class A Masterclass.

Mac

Accuphase E350 amp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP CDP, Siltech 25th Classic anniversary 330I  XLR Harbeth Super HL5 on Sound Anchor Quod ELS63 stands, Chord Odessey2 SC.  Grado SR60I headphones.  HIFI RACKS Podium Reference rack.

busb's picture
RE: yet more amp confusion,

Reggie Mental wrote:

>I suspect that class AB will die out, leaving class A for those where power consumption isn't an issue & class D for when it is.

Die out? Did you know the Musical Fidelity A1 is actually class AB at full power? Most of the cooler running examples of class A are.

Surely linear audio amps are either Class A, Class  B or Class A/B? Class A/B can obviously be designed to switch to Class B sooner or later in their power envelope but are not Class A. However, what's the relevance to whether or not Class D supercedes other audio amp classes or not? The number of Class A amps is fairly small so the target market for PWM is class B, no?

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds - the pessimist fears this is true."

James Branch Cabell

MAIN: Apple TV2, Mac Mini (controlled from various iThings using Remote), CA Azur 751BD & Panasonic P42V20B into audiolab M-DAC, feeding a Primare A34.2 class D power amp via XLRs, 2x 5m of Atlas Ascent 2 firing up Totem Arros. DALI Kubik Free in my kitchen

ON THE HOOF: iPhone 5S/Sennheiser MM450.

ISAC69's picture

shafesk wrote:

Rethep wrote:

Hi Rethep,

The reason I don't want to go higher up the Cayin tube amp range is because I have auditioned most of it and I am looking for exceptional dynamic headroom which they don't provide because they are limited in power output. I actually do need the power of the hybrid if I am sticking to my current speakers or speakers from most manufacturers, tube amps limit your speaker choice and although the Cayin range is more flexible than most tube amps with speakers, I would want an amp i am spending 3000 pounds on to have absolute power.

Hi Shafesk ,

Did You receive the Cayin H80 A ?

Hi Fi : Proac Studio 140MK2 - Rotel RC1580 [PRE] - Rotel RB1582 [POWER] -Rotel RCD1520 [CDP]                   Headphones : B&W P7 . Cables : Tellurium Q Black speaker cables-Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA interconnects-WireWorld Stratus 7 power cords  

AV ( 2.1 channels / Bypass mode )  : YAMAHA RXV767 - INFINITY PRIMUS PS8 sub

shafesk's picture

ISAC69 wrote:

shafesk wrote:

Rethep wrote:

Hi Rethep,

Hi Shafesk ,

Did You receive the Cayin H80 A ?

apologies for the late reply, the post got lost in traffic. The dealer wants to save me on shipping so he will order it with his next shipment which could take a while. All I can do is wait Sad

Hi-fi:

Denon DNP-720AE network streamer, Mordaunt Short Mezzo 6, Cayin A-55 T, Technics-SLQ210, Denon DP-29F turntable, 540p, Dac-magic, Marantz 5004CD and 6025 Turntable, Mac ,Pure AV interconnects, QED Revelation speaker cables, QED Performance interconnects.

Head-fi:

Akg K702, Grado SR60i, UE Triple-fi, Musical Fidelity X-cans, HRT Music Streamer 2+