107 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 1003
Read that link cheesboy....

Read that link cheesboy.... Sorry but I can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi - they taste different.

Matters not whats on the can - it's like if you go to some out of town McDonald's you can tell when the cokes been watered down or a no brand is being used. Well I can anyway.

Preference.

cheeseboy wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

wow , that's interesting.

Question, have you had the person who did the test come round and have a listen Dave?

Ans what's the difference between equipment used?

I too belong to the equal length religion.

 

I think, could be wrong, the point dave was trying to make was that when he couldn't see the difference, he didn't hear any dfference, however, when he hooked the cables up himself his brain skewed the sound.  It's a direct example of subjective bias and shows how powerful the brain is at changing things when it want's to believe it / and / or sight is involved.

 

Have a look at this little article here - doesn't matter it's about coke, the premis is the same Smile http://sciencenetlinks.com/science-news/science-updates/cola-brains/

 

Rethep's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 02/05/2011 - 00:03
Posts: 379
To me biwire is like buy more

To me biwire is like 'buy more wire'.

Buy 4 mm2 thick copper wire, connect, sit back and enjoy the music!

Every other thing you don't like is a mismatch in your system or acoustics. Furthermore nothing is perfect!

Airport Express (still analog!), Artephonos Energa (tube-amp), Peitho 303 (infinite baffle speakers)

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1129
Thompsonuxb wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Read that link cheesboy.... Sorry but I can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi - they taste different.

Matters not whats on the can - it's like if you go to some out of town McDonald's you can tell when the cokes been watered down or a no brand is being used. Well I can anyway.

Preference.

ok, so let me get this right.....  Somebody conducts a controlled scientific experiment.  They even use brain scans to prove that the brain changes due to what is on the can and the best you can come up with is that you don't believe it because you can tell the difference, even though you weren't part of the experiment, have no inclination of being in or reproducing the experiment and thusly dismiss something out of hand because *you say so*.....  So basically what you are saying is that it doesn't matter how much evidence you are presented with and if needs be slapped around the face with, if you don't want to believe it then it isn't true?  And this doesn't even have anything to do with hifi....

And people wonder why people get so worked up when somebody presents a reasonable side of an argument, with evidence or whatever and you just go "meh, don't beleive it" because it doesn't fit in with your view?

 

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1129
Thompsonuxb wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

I have to admit Robin unless drugged or highly stressed I struggle with that view that we are so easily fooled on a day to day basis.

you put waaaaaay too much credence in your own beliefs and way too much reliance on what you percieve to be "correct".  And again, I'm not even talking hifi now, I'm just talking about life in general.

 

Craig M.'s picture
Online
Last seen: 2 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2898
The claims of the cable

The claims of the cable brigade make me laugh.  Not one of you could prove your claims in a blind test, not one of you.  I wonder why that is.

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 1003
If you are talking in general

If you are talking in general I agree with you.

How is anyone going to spend the best part of their day second guessing themselves.

I mean how would you survive. All our sensory triggers are processed in an instant, we make life affecting judgements based on them.

And you guys suggest we should not trust them ,doubt ourselves, 'because' they cannot be trusted.

Millions of years of evolution and we have become so smart we''ve become stupid?.

You hear, smell, feel or see something it's not real because!?......hilarious.

You guys have gone so far leftfield or is that rightfield to defend a stance till your argument is ridiculous.

Consider crossing a road - a bus is coming...... Lol

cheeseboy wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

I have to admit Robin unless drugged or highly stressed I struggle with that view that we are so easily fooled on a day to day basis.

you put waaaaaay too much credence in your own beliefs and way too much reliance on what you percieve to be "correct".  And again, I'm not even talking hifi now, I'm just talking about life in general.

 

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 1003
I would take that challenge -

I would take that challenge - name a time and a place.

As long as we have a quality system.

We can even try the pretending to swap a cable test.....lol

Craig M. wrote:

The claims of the cable brigade make me laugh.  Not one of you could prove your claims in a blind test, not one of you.  I wonder why that is.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1129
Thompsonuxb wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

If you are talking in general I agree with you.

How is anyone going to spend the best part of their day second guessing themselves.

I mean how would you survive. All our sensory triggers are processed in an instant, we make life affecting judgements based on them.

And you guys suggest we should not trust them ,doubt ourselves, 'because' they cannot be trusted.

no we don't.  We're just saying that our senses can be fooled, and by and large, they are regularly on a daily basis.  It's up to you what you do with them.  Nobody is going to spend the best of part of the day second guessing themselves, so please stop making up things that people have not said.   You are not immune to these things, they happen to everybody and a lot of them can be explained and replicated.

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Millions of years of evolution and we have become so smart we''ve become stupid?.

speak for yourself Wink

Thompsonuxb wrote:

You hear, smell, feel or see something it's not real because!?......hilarious.

y'see, making statements like that just makes you look stupid.  It's possible to hear things that are not there.  It's possible to smell things that are not there and also feel thing that are not there. 

Thompsonuxb wrote:
You guys have gone so far leftfield or is that rightfield to defend a stance till your argument is ridiculous.

would you care to explain or explain, or are you just going to carry on as is?  there's nothing leftfield about anything that's been posted.  the only thing that's been leftfield so far is your complete pick and choose attitude to what you want to believe to back up your own beliefs.

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 1003
I swear....... I don't know

I swear....... I don't know if you are being serious or just doing that fake hissyfit thing for comic affect.

But it made me chuckle.

Sorry, I will not indulge you........lol

cheeseboy wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

If you are talking in general I agree with you.

How is anyone going to spend the best part of their day second guessing themselves.

I mean how would you survive. All our sensory triggers are processed in an instant, we make life affecting judgements based on them.

And you guys suggest we should not trust them ,doubt ourselves, 'because' they cannot be trusted.

no we don't.  We're just saying that our senses can be fooled, and by and large, they are regularly on a daily basis.  It's up to you what you do with them.  Nobody is going to spend the best of part of the day second guessing themselves, so please stop making up things that people have not said.   You are not immune to these things, they happen to everybody and a lot of them can be explained and replicated.

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Millions of years of evolution and we have become so smart we''ve become stupid?.

speak for yourself Wink

Thompsonuxb wrote:

You hear, smell, feel or see something it's not real because!?......hilarious.

y'see, making statements like that just makes you look stupid.  It's possible to hear things that are not there.  It's possible to smell things that are not there and also feel thing that are not there. 

Thompsonuxb wrote:
You guys have gone so far leftfield or is that rightfield to defend a stance till your argument is ridiculous.

would you care to explain or explain, or are you just going to carry on as is?  there's nothing leftfield about anything that's been posted.  the only thing that's been leftfield so far is your complete pick and choose attitude to what you want to believe to back up your own beliefs.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1129
Thompsonuxb wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

I swear....... I don't know if you are being serious or just doing that fake hissyfit thing for comic affect.

But it made me chuckle.

Sorry, I will not indulge you........lol

No need to, I think you've just proven my point as to how full of rubbish you are, thank you Smile

RobinKidderminster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 27/05/2009 - 14:24
Posts: 2550
Optical illusions and sound

Optical illusions and sound illusions - guess some can see through them. As usual this thread has lost reason. Our senses are easily fooled - it is only within the context of listening to music where opinion is divided.

Yamaha V2065. MS Mezzo 5.1 Panasonic 42. Sony BD. Garrard 86SB. WD Live TV. SkyHD.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/lounge-hc-signature-update-bass-traps

 

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3542
cheeseboy wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

I swear....... I don't know if you are being serious or just doing that fake hissyfit thing for comic affect.

But it made me chuckle.

Sorry, I will not indulge you........lol

No need to, I think you've just proven my point as to how full of rubbish you are, thank you Smile

Don't take him too seriously cheeseboy, think of him as a kind of unruly pet, like my cross siamese in the picture.

Hugely entertaining, quite bright in an odd sort of way but, when push comes to shove, hasn't got a clue.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1129
davedotco wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Don't take him too seriously cheeseboy, think of him as a kind of unruly pet, like my cross siamese in the picture.

Hugely entertaining, quite bright in an odd sort of way but, when push comes to shove, hasn't got a clue.

 

fair enough, think I've just learned that Smile

andyjm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 11:49
Posts: 756
Thompsonuxb wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

I have to admit Robin unless drugged or highly stressed I struggle with that view that we are so easily fooled on a day to day basis.

We are our brain.

Something as simple as listening to music reproduction.

I dunno.

I have told this story a number of times, but for those who haven't read it yet:

As a newly minted EE graduate in my early 20s, I joined the research and designs group of a well known broadcaster.  In the lab next to me, a bunch of guys were working on loudspeaker evaluation.  Knowing I was interested in HiFi, they volunteered to demonstrate the various test speakers they had been working on.  They took me through a demonstration, changing the speakers and explaining the faults and attributes of each speaker in turn.  I felt pretty good, I could follow their description, and clearly hear all the points that they described.  Except they never changed the speaker, it was always the same one. 

It was a good lesson.  Your senses are easily fooled.  Never trust your ears.

Thompsonuxb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 19/02/2012 - 14:24
Posts: 1003
Lol.... I missed this one....

Lol.... I missed this one.....

Did you read it?

You put your faith in internet articles.

When coke and Pepsi taste so different?

You crack me up

cheeseboy wrote:

Thompsonuxb wrote:

Read that link cheesboy.... Sorry but I can tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi - they taste different.

Matters not whats on the can - it's like if you go to some out of town McDonald's you can tell when the cokes been watered down or a no brand is being used. Well I can anyway.

Preference.

ok, so let me get this right.....  Somebody conducts a controlled scientific experiment.  They even use brain scans to prove that the brain changes due to what is on the can and the best you can come up with is that you don't believe it because you can tell the difference, even though you weren't part of the experiment, have no inclination of being in or reproducing the experiment and thusly dismiss something out of hand because *you say so*.....  So basically what you are saying is that it doesn't matter how much evidence you are presented with and if needs be slapped around the face with, if you don't want to believe it then it isn't true?  And this doesn't even have anything to do with hifi....

And people wonder why people get so worked up when somebody presents a reasonable side of an argument, with evidence or whatever and you just go "meh, don't beleive it" because it doesn't fit in with your view?

 

Pages

Log in or register to post comments