Have your say & ask the experts!

Will a new amp tame the treble of my Kef Q300 system?

26 replies [Last post]
BigH's picture
RE: Will a new amp tame the treble of my Kef Q300 system?

I heard the Rega RS1s with a Rega system and found them to be very dull and veiled sounding, so they may tame the treble but everything else as well, the B&W CM1s were better which I heard after the RS1s, much more open but a bit bassy. Will be trying the Kef LS50s and PMC DB1 Golds next. 

Your speakers could be the problem with metal tweeters which may make modern recordings sound harsher. I do agree about some recordings they really are bad, I find a bit strange that some 50 year old jazz recordings sound so much better than recent cds. Try Dave Brubeck's Time Out (OK that is a good recording) but most MIles Davis, Art Pepper, Sonny Rollins, John Coltrane etc sound fine. 

stevebrock's picture

the loudness wars strike again!

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

stevebrock's picture

the loudness wars strike again!

Icon Audio ST40 III / KT88, Rega Apollo R, DAC, RS3

Rega RP6, Nagaoka MP-200, White Belt, Michell Tecnoweight, Rega Fono MM

Rega Quattro, Couple 1 & 2

Cypher's picture

I've had the Kef Q100 speakers for a while and I was very disappointed with them. The bass was not tight and all over the place, as soon as you played complex/fusion music the speakers couldn't cope with it............they do not organize well and the music became a mess and sounded harsh/bright.

Bought the Monitor Audio BX2.............problems solved. Much better speakers than the kefs.

Just my opinion.

dragon76's picture

It is certainly true that some speakers have exaggerated top end, and it is certainly true that most of the modern music is poorly mastered with too much brightness and booming bass, but when stating that a system sounds bright and harsh please do not forget that your room plays significant role is what you indeed hear. Some systems may sound bright due to early reflections in a listening room, especially if you have too much of reflective surfaces (glass, concrete).

Goat - can you describe your listening room? This may possibly help in dealing with your issue, and I am pretty sure that changing the amplifier won't strategically solve any of your issues.

Dedicated Win7 Music PC -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 -> ATC SCM 40; Furutech GT2 USB Cable, Oyaide Interconnects and mains cords; Kimber Kable 8tc speaker cables

Goat's picture

Room is my bedroom, which is about 8metres x 5 metres - pretty large for a bedroom! I was tempted with floorstanders, but it's a shared house so not really practical especially if i move to a new place in a few months and the room is half the size.

Carpeted, speakers about 1 metre from side walls, nearly a metre from rear wall. Double bed is about a metre in front of the speakers which is where i listen to them (sitting at the head of it, 3 metres from speakers approx). High ceiling. I think to be honest it is mainly down to the tweeter. The midrange is lovely, but it just feels that more often than not, the treble is dominant and 'cuts into' the music and my enjoyment, almost as if it's a separate entity to the rest of the music. I do think that soft domed tweeters are the way to go and perhaps better suited to my tastes. That aside, i never felt the setup was rich and warm enough for my tastes. Always felt a bit thin and edgy.

Couple of developments - managed to sell Marantz amp, which is on its way to someone in London from where i live in Bristol, and looks like I also have a buyer for the Kefs. Because I got the PM6004, NA7004, Kef Q300 and 1 interconnect all for the bargain price of £849 from hificonfidential, I wont actually lose TOO much. Got £150 for the amp and looks to be around £250 for speakers.

Been doing a fair bit of research and I am leaning towards the Epos Epic 2 standmounts or some Dynaudio X12's or DM/7's. Perhaps Spendor. But the latter two are pretty pricey. The Epos Epic 2's look fantastic for the money and also carry a bit more girth to the driver, promising a richer, fuller sound, of course with a soft dome tweeter. 

Upon getting the speakers, i will then demo alongside amps to see, which one suits best. Narrowed down to Arcam 18 (or 19 if worth the £350 extra!) or Riga Brio. Possible Nait Naim 5Si but not sure that would work. 

Dave

Arcam A19 - Kef R100's - Marantz NA7004 

Cypher's picture

Dynaudio X12 or Dynaudio DM 2/6 / DM 2/7 would be great for you I think. I've never heard a Dynaudio speaker sound harsh or bright.

BigH's picture

I think the Rega Brio maybe a bit strained in that size room, I heard it recently and it sounded stressed at around 12 o'clock on the dial. I would hear the speaker first, don't rush in. I maybe best to wait until you have moved? You could also consider used gear, there are some good deals around.

The Epos speakers do look good but not heard them myself. I saw this earlier post that may help: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/epos-epic-2s-or-kef-q300-or-monitor-audio-rx2-with-mcr-603

Baldrick1's picture

stevebrock wrote:

Yeah sorry my post sounded a bit aggressive! 

No problem Steve.  It was at the end of a long weekend I was probably being overly sensitive. Wink

Rotel RA-11 | Technics SL-P333 | Rotel RT-11 | Technics SL-L1 | KEF Q300 | Grado SR80i | Atlas & QED interconnects

Goat's picture

Thanks for all the replies again, really kind. 

I have definitely read various people say that the Riga Brio and Epos speakers having good synergy, but appreciate I need to demo really (might not be that easy due to sparse number of stockists). I thought 50w per channel (and considering the speakers are easy to drive) would be more than enough? The PM6004 seemed fine in my room and that's 10w per channel less, with the Kefs. Is the Brio notoriously lacking in oomph? 

Arcam A19 - Kef R100's - Marantz NA7004 

Willferox's picture

What is the listening distance between you and the speakers? I spent loads of money and time trying to get a good non-bright hifi system and I had trouble with almost every combo. I think tweeters need some room. I bought monitors (BM5A MK2) and have loved them. They work best when you are between 2ft - 6ft from the speaker. I use this for PS3 also.