31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 981
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

I am definitely  convinced my hard drive sounds better. So is there a way to set up a home network with my blueray player with out using it as the main display for titles of Albums & artist & album covers. Cause i can only do this right now through my main tele through the Oppo blueray palyer.

Would the all mighty Squeezebox play the part or may i need something else.. Or is there any harddrive network streamers with displays..? Any help welcome.

   Thanx

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

nopiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 15/02/2009 - 19:25
Posts: 1539
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

csq2 wrote:

The Oppo is not a dedicated CD player, so the laser is not that good. A dedicated CD player will sound a lot better due to less jitter. 

That must be wrong, sorry.  Aside from being by general consesnsus one of the best bits of kit currently made, HiFi News reported on the Oppo 105 in January 2013 and said: "Jitter remains vanishingly low via disc-based media at <120psec...".

Your assertion doesn't really stack up against that, does it?

Krell CD and amp, Michell/Rega/Grado record player, Hitachi and Sony tuners, Nakamichi cassette, SBT streamer, Sonus faber spkrs.  Sony and Samsung BDP & TVs. Qobuz > iPad > AudioPro Allroom Air One

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 981
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

nopiano wrote:

csq2 wrote:

The Oppo is not a dedicated CD player, so the laser is not that good. A dedicated CD player will sound a lot better due to less jitter. 

That must be wrong, sorry.  Aside from being by general consesnsus one of the best bits of kit currently made, HiFi News reported on the Oppo 105 in January 2013 and said: "Jitter remains vanishingly low via disc-based media at <120psec...".

Your assertion doesn't really stack up against that, does it?

Am sorry but i can only go by ears.. May be the sound from my hard drive is coloured, & I may like it better.. It may be the case.... Also looking to get my music all in one place. but right now i need someone to help with display setup.

Thanx

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

dragon76's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 27/03/2012 - 10:44
Posts: 79
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12559
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

dragon76 wrote:

Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.

Totally agree.......This is fleshing out what I was hinting at earlier.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2461
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

dragon76 wrote:

Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.

No moving parts in a hard disk? You are sadly misinformed.
CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12559
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

hammill wrote:

No moving parts in a hard disk? You are sadly misinformed.

He was probably thinking of the streamer end......as I was.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

richardw42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 02/05/2010 - 18:56
Posts: 1966
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

Or he meant SSD. Which will hopefully get a bit cheaper very soon. 

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2898
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

Even a cheap cdp is capable of a bit perfect output.  This has been proven.  Same with dvd and blu ray players, as long as they don't resample the output to 48khz.  Don't let silly little things like facts get in the way though!  The only time a hdd has an advantage is with scratched discs, where the ripping software can make multiple attempts at getting a bit perfect rip.

richardw42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 02/05/2010 - 18:56
Posts: 1966
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

Also a HDD will fail, sooner or later it'll happen. 

CDPs can soldier on for ages. 

 

I don't have a CDP btw unless you count the Denon. 

manicm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2008 - 12:57
Posts: 2731
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

relocated wrote:

csq2 wrote:

The Oppo is not a dedicated CD player, so the laser is not that good. A dedicated CD player will sound a lot better due to less jitter. If you want even better sound upgrade your external hard drive to a SSD and hook it up with a premium USB cable.

ROFL      :wall:     :help:

It was widely acknowledged that many early DVD players were rubbish at playing CDs - this was my experience from a Pioneer player as well over a decade ago. And the model I exchanged it for would have horrified many here by its explicitly bright sound. The difference between CD and DVD decks was partially down to their lasers operating at different light frequencies - early DVD lasers were simply not designed to get the best out of CDs. And in a good CD player, as everyone knows, the DAC is only half the story. Obviously technology has progressed since as manifested in good universal BD players now.

dragon76's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 27/03/2012 - 10:44
Posts: 79
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

hammill wrote:

dragon76 wrote:

Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.

No moving parts in a hard disk? You are sadly misinformed.

 

I don't think I was misinformed, please go back to me post where I said 'much less vibration', I fact an SSD has no moving parts at all, and laptor sized 2.5 HDDs are almost silent and vibrate just little. Also, an important consideration for computer audio playback is to move HDD away from the transport's chassis, either by externally attaching it or by using network and NAS.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1125
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

dragon76 wrote:

I don't think I was misinformed, please go back to me post where I said 'much less vibration', I fact an SSD has no moving parts at all, and laptor sized 2.5 HDDs are almost silent and vibrate just little. Also, an important consideration for computer audio playback is to move HDD away from the transport's chassis, either by externally attaching it or by using network and NAS.

 

you are sadly misinformed if you believe that any vibration within a hard drive will have any effect on sound quality.   Don't believe me - try playing back from an external hard drive and start moving the drive around, nudge it, make it vibrate - it will have no effect on the sound whatsoever.  try it.  the worst that will happen is that the music may stop if the heads skip. 

 

 

hammill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 11:46
Posts: 2461
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

dragon76 wrote:

hammill wrote:

dragon76 wrote:

Hard drives do sound better and this is one the key factors of why people are moving from CDs to computer based playback. CD transports are rotating mechanisms that create vibrations which negatively impact sound quality. Also when laser reads a CD it may create errors. Very expensive CD transports/players try to eliminate these challenges thru various approaches, but even with lots of money put into engineering this doesn't solve the problem 100%. On the other hand, reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts and much less vibration, so a HDD does the same job at much lower cost. Obviously not every computer audio setup is the same and the results may be different, but in general HDDs are better.

No moving parts in a hard disk? You are sadly misinformed.

 

I don't think I was misinformed, please go back to me post where I said 'much less vibration', I fact an SSD has no moving parts at all, and laptor sized 2.5 HDDs are almost silent and vibrate just little. Also, an important consideration for computer audio playback is to move HDD away from the transport's chassis, either by externally attaching it or by using network and NAS.

Read your own post " reading data from HDD is error free and there are no moving parts ". You clearly claim that a HDD has no moving parts. This is nonsense . The rest of what you say about SSD disks sounding better is just very unlikely and you provide no evidence.
Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 981
RE: Why does my hard drive sound better..?

Yes rightly so am currenlty using SSD drives.. I for one  let my ears decide for me.. My ears tell me the ssd sounds far better... Simples.

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments