124 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12412
RE: What speakers have you owned?

Roundhead 5000 wrote:

Spendor A9s (Current)

Kef R900 (Current)

If you don't mind me asking, which of these two do you prefer.....and if it's the A9, how close do the R900s get to them

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

MeanandGreen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 26/12/2012 - 11:57
Posts: 124
What speakers have you owned?

I haven't owned many pairs of Hi Fi speakers. Just these...

Jamo D115 back in 1994-1997. Horrible thin and forward sound.

Tannoy Mercury M2.5 1997-2001 Smooth and bassy, but very dull with it.

B&W DM 601 S3, 2001-present day to me they sound very well balanced and accurate.

I still own all of these, the Jamo's are in my patents loft boxed up. The Tannoys are just hanging around in my spare room and the B&W's are still my main speakers in use today.

NAD C326BEE Amp, Sony CDP-XB930 CD-P, Pioneer PDR-509 CD-R, Arcam irDock & iPod, LG 42" smart TV, PS3, Toshiba DVD, Tannoy Mercury V4 Speakers, Tannoy HTS- 101 Subwoofers x2, Sennheiser HD 518 Headphones, QED & Cambridge Audio cabling.

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 18 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3311
RE: What speakers have you owned?

CnoEvil wrote:

davedotco wrote:

The 852s were designed by Robin Marshal to be a flagship product for MA but Mo would not pay for the custom drive units Robin wanted. Damn fine speaker though.

The ES 14s, with their own drivers, was pretty much what Robin wanted for the 852s. They were clearer and more explicit than the MAs, technically a superior speaker in a number of ways. The 852 had a reputation for sounding 'musical' but by that stage I had tired of Mo's overbearing manner and was not selling the brand.

The R852s were probably the best Monitor Audios I ever heard, I did an evaluation, for a third party, of the Bronze and Silver (were they the silver then, I cant remember) ranges, a most unpleasant experience.

That is very interesting, and sums up why I chose them over the ES14s.......musicality has always been the driving force behind all my choices. I didn't go for a CDP until I heard Linn's Karik/Numerik, which was the first time I'd heard the format giving a sound I could live with after the LP12 (which was far from "digital sounding").......and interestingly, still prefer the way it sounds compared to their later CDPs. The same applies to Linn's amps, preferring Kairn / LKs / klout, to their modern offerings......Linn's "old sound" is more musical to my ears, though less detailed / analytical.

I also don't get on with the current MA sound, so you appear to be reading my mind atm.......maybe it's a product of being brought up on the sound from those days.

It's fascinating to speak with someone with such inside knowledge from those days....so thank you for the insight.

:cheers:

Cno

Ahhh...... The dreaded musicality....... :doh:

A term that means so many things to so many people. 

My Sonus Faber speakers were mostly used with ARC amplification, a variety of pre-amps, I couldn't really settle, but the power amplifier was the Classic 60. The sound of this system stayed with me for some time and my current system (not in use) emulates this to a degree.

The strange thing is, that returning to systems of this type after using active speakers, you are immediatly struck with the 'colourations' that give these systems their 'musicality'. It is something of a wrench but having spent a lot of time on both sides of the devide and moving back and forth many times, somrthing I have come to terms with.

In general terms, this has left me with a strong dislike for most budget equipment and playback systems, vastly prefering the (better) active options up to about £2-3k. Above that level I find that my preference swings back to passive systems, but only in quite specific components and systems, equipment that I have spoken about before.

Roundhead 5000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 16:22
Posts: 97
RE: What speakers have you owned?

CnoEvil wrote:

Roundhead 5000 wrote:

Spendor A9s (Current)

Kef R900 (Current)

If you don't mind me asking, which of these two do you prefer.....and if it's the A9, how close do the R900s get to them

Of course I don't mate. It's a hard one to be honest, I use the 900s as fronts for my surround set up. I did stick them on my hi fi before I set them up in the lounge, just to see. They are a bit smoother, with definitely more bass than the Spendors, But too big for the room I use for the hi fi, so they were a bit overpowering, but they weren't run in at all, and I had the bungs out. I can only say the Spendors are maybe a bit more, well, 'emotional'? But the Kefs have a greater sense of scale, and power, and almost match the Spendors in other areas, neutrality, midrange etc.The bass was, like I said, a bit full compared to the A9s and possibly not as fast, or defined, but again, I'd had them for a day and they probably weren't positioned properly etc. I am really impressed with them, and might try them again in the future. When I do I'll try to give you a better idea....

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12412
RE: What speakers have you owned?

Roundhead 5000 wrote:

Of course I don't mate. It's a hard one to be honest, I use the 900s as fronts for my surround set up. I did stick them on my hi fi before I set them up in the lounge, just to see. They are a bit smoother, with definitely more bass than the Spendors, But too big for the room I use for the hi fi, so they were a bit overpowering, but they weren't run in at all, and I had the bungs out. I can only say the Spendors are maybe a bit more, well, 'emotional'? But the Kefs have a greater sense of scale, and power, and almost match the Spendors in other areas, neutrality, midrange etc.The bass was, like I said, a bit full compared to the A9s and possibly not as fast, or defined, but again, I'd had them for a day and they probably weren't positioned properly etc. I am really impressed with them, and might try them again in the future. When I do I'll try to give you a better idea....

Thank you Sir.

The reason I ask, is that I'm inceasingly finding the R Series play well above their pay grade. If they'd existed when I'd bought the Refs, i don't think i would have felt the difference was worth it (though the Refs are certainly better, but not 2x - 3x better imo). 

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12412
RE: What speakers have you owned?

davedotco wrote:

Ahhh...... The dreaded musicality....... :doh:

A term that means so many things to so many people. 

It's a very clichéd and overused term, but so is organic, or whatever quick term is used.

For me it's brands like Audio Note, Pathos, Unison Research, Accuphase, Luxman, Lavardin, Jadis, Sonus Faber and Harbeth that have it...but you already know that's where I'm coming from.

Now, can you answer the conundrum I posed on Page 5 / Post 14? (I suspect you are one of the few that might)  :shifty:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Roundhead 5000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 16:22
Posts: 97
RE: What speakers have you owned?

Having thought about it some more, I think I was a bit shocked as to how good they were, right out of the box. I sometimes listen to them through the Oppo/Pioneer if I'm just pottering about in the lounge, and even though this isn't my optimum set up, I can still hear their qualities, if that makes sense. Damn it Cno, you're putting ideas in my head. The other half is wagging her finger and shaking her head vigorously. I wonder what she means? ROFL

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12412
RE: What speakers have you owned?

Roundhead 5000 wrote:
Having thought about it some more, I think I was a bit shocked as to how good they were, right out of the box. I sometimes listen to them through the Oppo/Pioneer if I'm just pottering about in the lounge, and even though this isn't my optimum set up, I can still hear their qualities, if that makes sense. Damn it Cno, you're putting ideas in my head. The other half is wagging her finger and shaking her head vigorously. I wonder what she means? :rofl:

Well you know what I think (which should get SWMBO's approval).....Move R900s to hifi; move R500s to fronts and get LS50s for Rears; sell A9s  >)  :grin:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

iceman16's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 08/02/2011 - 12:55
Posts: 819
RE: Cno is like a virus but in

Cno is like a virus but in good way Smile

Main system: Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal 1028be / Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP / MIT AVt MA / Matrix 12 xlr cables

Bedroom: Laptop(Qobuz) / Chord gem / Rega Brio-r / KEF ls50 / TQ black

 

 

davedotco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 18 hours ago
Joined: 24/04/2013 - 10:02
Posts: 3311
RE: What speakers have you owned?

CnoEvil wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Ahhh...... The dreaded musicality....... :doh:

A term that means so many things to so many people. 

It's a very clichéd and overused term, but so is organic, or whatever quick term is used.

For me it's brands like Audio Note, Pathos, Unison Research, Accuphase, Luxman, Lavardin, Jadis, Sonus Faber and Harbeth that have it...but you already know that's where I'm coming from.

Now, can you answer the conundrum I posed on Page 5 / Post 14? (I suspect you are one of the few that might)  :shifty:

Dahlquist DQ10 come to mind but since they look a lot like black ESL 59s I'm sure you would have mentioned that.

I'm thinking of those strange Belgian loudpeakers, multiple drivers on separate time aligned baffles and an all round grill.

Now what were they called........ :?

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12412
RE: Cno is like a virus but in

iceman16 wrote:

Cno is like a virus but in good way Smile

Thx!   :roll: Wink Blum 3

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12412
RE: What speakers have you owned?

davedotco wrote:

CnoEvil wrote:

davedotco wrote:

Ahhh...... The dreaded musicality....... :doh:

A term that means so many things to so many people. 

It's a very clichéd and overused term, but so is organic, or whatever quick term is used.

For me it's brands like Audio Note, Pathos, Unison Research, Accuphase, Luxman, Lavardin, Jadis, Sonus Faber and Harbeth that have it...but you already know that's where I'm coming from.

Now, can you answer the conundrum I posed on Page 5 / Post 14? (I suspect you are one of the few that might)  :shifty:

Dahlquist DQ10 come to mind but since they look a lot like black ESL 59s I'm sure you would have mentioned that.

I'm thinking of those strange Belgian loudpeakers, multiple drivers on separate time aligned baffles and an all round grill.

Now what were they called........ :?

You are going much too exotic.

It's as dull as.....Kef Celeste 111 (on their "bar-stool" stands).

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Roundhead 5000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 16:22
Posts: 97
RE: What speakers have you owned?

CnoEvil wrote:

Roundhead 5000 wrote:
Having thought about it some more, I think I was a bit shocked as to how good they were, right out of the box. I sometimes listen to them through the Oppo/Pioneer if I'm just pottering about in the lounge, and even though this isn't my optimum set up, I can still hear their qualities, if that makes sense. Damn it Cno, you're putting ideas in my head. The other half is wagging her finger and shaking her head vigorously. I wonder what she means? :rofl:

Well you know what I think (which should get SWMBO's approval).....Move R900s to hifi; move R500s to fronts and get LS50s for Rears; sell A9s  >)  :grin:

I knew that was coming. Jesus, I am thinking of buying the Leema Pyxis/ Hydra II x2. This idea is already costing me a holiday and copius amounts of champagne/chocolates. I'm not sure this is quite the right moment to suggest any more 'improvements'. On the other hand, I could send her away on a spa weekend or something, maybe she wouldn't notice. NOT.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 21/08/2009 - 18:01
Posts: 12412
RE: What speakers have you owned?

Roundhead 5000 wrote:

I knew that was coming. Jesus, I am thinking of buying the Leema Pyxis/ Hydra II x2. This idea is already costing me a holiday and copius amounts of champagne/chocolates. I'm not sure this is quite the right moment to suggest any more 'improvements'. On the other hand, I could send her away on a spa weekend or something, maybe she wouldn't notice. NOT.

...emphasize the word SELL!  :shifty:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Roundhead 5000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/01/2013 - 16:22
Posts: 97
RE: What speakers have you owned?

CnoEvil wrote:

Roundhead 5000 wrote:

I knew that was coming. Jesus, I am thinking of buying the Leema Pyxis/ Hydra II x2. This idea is already costing me a holiday and copius amounts of champagne/chocolates. I'm not sure this is quite the right moment to suggest any more 'improvements'. On the other hand, I could send her away on a spa weekend or something, maybe she wouldn't notice. NOT.

...emphasize the word SELL!  :shifty:

Yeah. My soul probably.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments