Have your say & ask the experts!

What is "boom, tizz"?

198 replies [Last post]
plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15530
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

floyd droid wrote:

Craig M. wrote:

The link from Sean Olive suggests that people actually prefer a neutral speaker, when given the chance to compare side by side.  In the video, the speaker test comes after the mp3/cd test.  I think a preferrence for 'boom and tizz' comes from flawed, short term demo's - they sound more impressive at a dealers.

http://seanolive.blogspot.co.uk/

Im sure that they do Craig. I have mentioned this 'attention grabbing' sound at the dealers before. But if units keep moving then they will continue to make them. Because that must be 'what people want'. Dunno mate tis all a bit baffleing to me. 

This theory is in contrast to WHFI? 'Advice Centre' in the November edition:

"It's not just drivers that've shrunk, but cabinets in which they're installed, as customers demand more compact, slimline speakers..."

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

ID.
ID.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 1320
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

Trefor Patten wrote:

 exentuating puzzled  Might that be ACCENTUATING?? i.e over-emphasising and what is this PROLLY in other posts. What I would like to know is, am I missing out on some new terms, or is it just that other posters cannot spell?

Sorry Trefor, brain fart. Can I try to pass it of as the impact of weeks of sleep deprivation due to a newborn? Should be accentuating, and what's more embarrasing is that I regard myself as being able to spell (hangs head in shame).

__________________

Desk-Fi: Mac Mini - NuForce Icon HDP - Fostex PM0.4n - Audio Technica ATH900x - Sennnheiser HD595 - Grado SR80i

Bedroom system: Esoteric RZ-1 - PMC DB1i / iPod Classic - Onkyo NDS1000 - Firestone Audio FUBAR IV

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2665
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

plastic penguin wrote:

This theory is in contrast to WHFI? 'Advice Centre' in the November edition:

"It's not just drivers that've shrunk, but cabinets in which they're installed, as customers demand more compact, slimline speakers..."

Yeah well ok but thats no excuse for not producing accurate loudspeakers without excessive treble peak is it. A few manage it, Spendor A3 for example.

 

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15530
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

This theory is in contrast to WHFI? 'Advice Centre' in the November edition:

"It's not just drivers that've shrunk, but cabinets in which they're installed, as customers demand more compact, slimline speakers..."

Yeah well ok but thats no excuse for not producing accurate loudspeakers without excessive treble peak is it. A few manage it, Spendor A3 for example.

 

That's fine, but retailers, given the economic climate, are  fairly desparate for our business, and they will try and give you a dem with 'instant impact', that's why my personal criteria - with shop dems - is to hear it at low volumes first and take it from there. My set-up is geared for low-medium levels, so having an amp that pumps 1000 watts per channel would be wasted on me.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2665
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

Depends on the Dealer though does it not. You have Dealers who just want to make a sale and tbh dont give a flying if in their opinion its a load of rubbish, just gimme yer moolah. And you have Dealers who ask the right questions and care passionately about hifi/music etc and want you to return in the future.

 

 

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 960
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

I find a lot of these words rather meaningless.  To me a speaker needs to sound natural, ie it needs to reproduce the sounds of voices and instruments accurately.  So I want a recording of a piano to sound like a piano and a recording of soprano to sound like a soprano.  What I hear with some speakers is for example a triangle that isn't a clear sharp note but a slightly fuzzy note.  The same is true with piano recordings where the notes are what I call "cracked" but hey I'm inventing my own meaningless words now!

Chris

 

PS PP - What makes a speaker "fast"?

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15530
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

floyd droid wrote:

Depends on the Dealer though does it not. You have Dealers who just want to make a sale and tbh dont give a flying if in their opinion its a load of rubbish, just gimme yer moolah. And you have Dealers who ask the right questions and care passionately about hifi/music etc and want you to return in the future.

 

 

Yup - important to have just two or three dealers you can trust and will listen to your own needs. There are some I wouldn't give the time of day for, while others will let you decide, based on budget and other limitations. 

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15530
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

Covenanter wrote:

 

PS PP - What makes a speaker "fast"?

My interpretation of "fast" is a speaker that has rhythm or makes your feet tap and bass that isn't flabby. The MAs have a "crunch" or depth but it's also well defined and airy.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2665
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

plastic penguin wrote:

Yup - important to have just two or three dealers you can trust and will listen to your own needs. There are some I wouldn't give the time of day for, while others will let you decide, based on budget and other limitations. 

There are loads i wouldnt give time of day for ,lol.

If you get a home dem and the first question the Dealer asks after a week or so is " ok what dont you like about such and such".

You have found a good Dealer.

 

Bouncing around a bit but good thread PP.

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15530
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

floyd droid wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Yup - important to have just two or three dealers you can trust and will listen to your own needs. There are some I wouldn't give the time of day for, while others will let you decide, based on budget and other limitations. 

There are loads i wouldnt give time of day for ,lol.

If you get a home dem and the first question the Dealer asks after a week or so is " ok what dont you like about such and such".

You have found a good Dealer.

 

Bouncing around a bit but good thread PP.

LOL. Everytime someone pays a compliment to my threads, they, often, tend to go t**s up. Thanks, anyway.

Don't really know to make of this Boom and Tizz thing. I know that some just dislike a particular speaker and just give "cheap" answer. When anyone has paid compliments to my kit they've always commented on how good it is tonally, including insight...

Perhaps they and I are wrong... or maybe there's no such thing as boom and tizz.

Whatever the truth, it can make me a little paranoid. That's the joy of forums such as these, I suppose.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

plastic penguin wrote:

LOL. Everytime someone pays a compliment to my threads, they, often, tend to go t**s up. Thanks, anyway.

Don't really know to make of this Boom and Tizz thing. I know that some just dislike a particular speaker and just give "cheap" answer. When anyone has paid compliments to my kit they've always commented on how good it is tonally, including insight...

Perhaps they and I are wrong... or maybe there's no such thing as boom and tizz.

Whatever the truth, it can make me a little paranoid. That's the joy of forums such as these, I suppose.

The opposite of boom/tiz would be soporific transducers, with rolled off treble, little bass and limited dynamics.

The answer lies somewhere in between.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

gregvet's picture
Offline
Joined: 24 Dec 2008
Posts: 727
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

I guess that makes my SA1's the antithesis of 'Boom Tizz' then. They dont sound soporific exactly (although I do fal asleep to them if I play the right music tho  Wink )

I think in the right system, with the right music (and in the right room of course), any good quality speaker can sound good.  And I am pretty sure in the wrong system/room, with the wrong music, most speakers can be made to sound bad too.

__________________

Bedroom: Sonos ZP90, Cyrus DAC XP+, Cyrus X Power, KEF LS50's

Living Room: Linn Majik DS, Marantz UD7006, Arcam AV9/P7, PMC FB1i fronts, TB2i centre, DB1i rears

floyd droid's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Sep 2008
Posts: 2665
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

Mr PP. Out of interest  Wink, yeah im up to summat ,lol. Im guessing your amp is not a current model or your speakers for that matter,no idea tbh. So................

Would you be prepared to give me a budget approx of what they cost in total + a bit for inflation i spose,if you had to replace them.

Oh yeah, who are your nearest Dealers.

Its Sunday,im bored and it could give you some thing to play with on these cold dark evenings.

 

 

 

 

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15335
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

floyd droid wrote:
Would you be prepared to give me a budget approx of what they cost in total + a bit for inflation i spose,if you had to replace them.

To replace with  current versions...

£1495 for a brand new Leema Pulse III and £799 for Monitor Audio RX6s.

 

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11415
RE: What is "boom, tizz"?

floyd droid wrote:

Mr PP. Out of interest  Wink, yeah im up to summat ,lol. Im guessing your amp is not a current model or your speakers for that matter,no idea tbh. So................

Would you be prepared to give me a budget approx of what they cost in total + a bit for inflation i spose,if you had to replace them.

Oh yeah, who are your nearest Dealers.

Its Sunday,im bored and it could give you some thing to play with on these cold dark evenings.

 

 

 

 

PP That's an offer you should take up, even though you put it away for a rainy day (sometime in the next millennium! Wink )

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide