44 posts / 0 new
Last post
CnoEvil's picture
RE: Wadia 121 and digital preamplifier

Neuphonix wrote:

I have one word for you

Akurate....... Dance 4

Stop faffing about & listen to one! I wouldn't bother with the Majik, keep on saving.

Good grief man, you're worse than me! :twisted:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Neuphonix's picture

Reckon you can find a spare seat at the table for me?! :grin:

As mentioned in my old thread I found the difference between the Majik & the Akurate to be quite startling.

Apart from the streaming/user interface aspect I doubt I would have gone for the Majik, it sounded a little flat to me. That being said I didn't ever get the chance to listen to it at home on my system.

& then there's the extra whatever % to be gained by using balanced inputs on the Akurate as well.

I just reckon that Alex would be better off being patient and waiting untill the funds are available, even if it takes a few extra months to get there.

There's got to be great deals to be had, especially if you are prepared to look internationally. Not meaning to pick over the bones of all those HiFi retailers out there who are doing it tough at the moment, but you'll definitely find one that has a demo unit who just wants to shift it on as quickly as possible. A little aggressive negotiation & he should get at least 25% off.

Also set up a saved search in Ebay so that you get alerts if anyone lists a second hand unit. They won't come up often & you want to know your prices & be ready to strike  if one does get listed.

I guess we'll know a bit more after Tuesday? Danger Danger!

tino's picture

acalex wrote:

tino wrote:

I would check that it is 2V .. And not 1V ... I think that 4V is excessive and may cause clipping.

Now it's on 2V, but what's the difference technically between 2 and 4V? What's this voltage for? Smile

The voltage refers to the maximum analogue output voltage of the DAC. For a given voltage input your amp will have a certian loudness (gain) for a given volume setting. If the input voltage is bigger and the volume control is in the same place the amplifier will be louder. This is why when switching your amp between different sources with different output levels, they can have different volume levels. However I've just read that bit of the manual myself and it refes to the output sensitivity of the headphone output .. so ignore everything I said  :doh:

SBT • Wadia 151 • Aliante PF

CnoEvil's picture

Neuphonix wrote:

As mentioned in my old thread I found the difference between the Majik & the Akurate to be quite startling.

Apart from the streaming/user interface aspect I doubt I would have gone for the Majik, it sounded a little flat to me. That being said I didn't ever get the chance to listen to it at home on my system.

& then there's the extra whatever % to be gained by using balanced inputs on the Akurate as well.

I just reckon that Alex would be better off being patient and waiting untill the funds are available, even if it takes a few extra months to get there.

In some ways you have a point....but if you can get a Majik DS at half price, you can then enjoy it until funds appear, and then sell it on for not that big a loss. Linn gear usually sells well.

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

acalex's picture

There is a spare seat at the table of course if you can get to Belgium Wink

I know, but at the moment I have nothing except the SBT which is, franly speaking, not as involving as it was anymore. Adding a over 1k euro DAC has helped a lot, but I recognize I might prefer to go for a single unit at this stage and set have finally a final decent setup (with new speakers and a digital source which is at least close to the lever which the system deserves).

Plus as Cno said getting a Majik at less than half price with Silver Linn interconnect on top is too much of a deal to pass it...

But let's wait for Tuesday  :cheers:

Neuphonix's picture

True on the Majik deal, can't argue that the value is there.

Would be willing to bet a pot of mussells & a round of ales that you will be looking at things differently after Tuesday though! :cheers:

CnoEvil's picture

Neuphonix wrote:

True on the Majik deal, can't argue that the value is there.

Would be willing to bet a pot of mussells & a round of (xxxx)  GUINNESS  that you will be looking at things differently after Tuesday though! :cheers:

Neuphonix's picture

Guiness? In Belgium? That's blasphemous!

Like a Pom going to Italy & having fish & chips! Blum 3

acalex's picture

Neuphonix wrote:

Guiness? In Belgium? That's blasphemous!

Like a Pom going to Italy & having fish & chips! Blum 3

Pint of Leffe or Duvel would be better Smile

Be prepared as the beer here in belgium is quite strong in terms of alchol % Wink

Roby's picture

Trippel Westmalle would do the trick for me Wink

acalex's picture

Roby wrote:

Trippel Westmalle would do the trick for me Wink

Ahaha, yes...nice one  :cheers:

Macspur's picture

Last time I was in Brussels was drunk in charge of a 6 seater bike thing... God knows what I was drinking then... bearing in mind I'm totally blind and was stearing the thing! LOL

Mac

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Accuphase E350, Harbeth SHL5 Siltech 25th anniversary 33i XLR, Auditorium 23 SC, HiFi Racks Podium Reference rack.

acalex's picture

Macspur wrote:

Last time I was in Brussels was drunk in charge of a 6 seater bike thing... God knows what I was drinking then... bearing in mind I'm totally blind and was stearing the thing! LOL

Mac

Ahaha yes the drunk bike, good one!  :cheers:

Pages