229 posts / 0 new
Last post
the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

I listened to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in its entirety yesterday.  The whole 76-odd minutes in one sitting.  Of course, the sense of anticipation when playing the yellow vinyl was somewhat ruined having to turn the damn thing over or put one record away while taking the other out.  Music flows and one needn't have a break thus enjoying a more complete audio experience.  Call me old fashioned, but the album listening experience is more of an experience without any interruption...Wagner's Ring Cycle excepted...  Smile

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5027
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

I am slightly astonished at the persistence the 'naysayers' put into this thread ... Smile

I mean, fair enough, if you don't like vinyl for whatever reason, say so ... but repeating your opinion over and over again ... well ... .

As for me and my original posting, I can see both sides of the argument.

regards

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

Merely putting forth counterpoints for the benefit of the anti-digital brigade DM.  And note, my forum nickname...   Dirol

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11218
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

Didn't you know? Repeating your opinion makes it correct.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11218
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

the record spot wrote:
Merely putting forth counterpoints for the benefit of the anti-digital brigade DM.  And note, my forum nickname...   Dirol

But surely people can make their own mind up about clicks and pops, turning an album over, storage etc?  I'm sure most people are intelligent enough to work all this out for themselves, rather than having someone point it out for them. It's not like someone will be swayed by a thread like this to buy a turntable, start buying vinyl, then suddenly after buying a few albums think, "where am I going to store these albums?".

I couldn't give a monkey's about a few clicks and pops. I'll find storage where I have to. I'll happily turn the album over when needed (track listings hsed to be designed with that in mind). I don't like high temperatures, so my vinyl won't warp due to excessive room temperatures (even though it is surprising what temperatures they can withstand!). 

The anti-analogue brigade can say what they like - I won't be selling my vinyl because I've suddenly 'seen their light' Smile

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Didn't you know? Repeating your opinion makes it correct.

 

It's never stopped you before David, and what's sauce for the goose...

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

the record spot wrote:
Merely putting forth counterpoints for the benefit of the anti-digital brigade DM.  And note, my forum nickname...   Dirol

But surely people can make their own mind up about clicks and pops, turning an album over, storage etc?  I'm sure most people are intelligent enough to work all this out for themselves, rather than having someone point it out for them. It's not like someone will be swayed by a thread like this to buy a turntable, start buying vinyl, then suddenly after buying a few albums think, "where am I going to store these albums?".

I couldn't give a monkey's about a few clicks and pops. I'll find storage where I have to. I'll happily turn the album over when needed (track listings hsed to be designed with that in mind). I don't like high temperatures, so my vinyl won't warp due to excessive room temperatures (even though it is surprising what temperatures they can withstand!). 

The anti-analogue brigade can say what they like - I won't be selling my vinyl because I've suddenly 'seen their light' Smile

 

Actually David, I think it was one of your comments about how much more lifelike the sound of vinyl is (for whatever the recorded piece might be) that and the others like it and which I disagree with.  Therein lies my point, which is not that I'm anti-vinyl, far from it.  I think I've been one of its most enthusiastic fans, not just for the means but the whole package, from the classic album sleeves to the rare labels, coloured vinyl pressings and so on.  

I took care of my LPs and they were as mint when I gave them to charity as the day I bought them.  Minor clicks, the odd one, was fine.  Too many and the record went back to the shop.  Not an issue.  

All in all, I really couldn't care less what you like or dislike about vinyl, or CD, or in fact any playback medium or source.  I merely found the voicing of the "vinyl is more lifelike" the kind of nonsense I typically speak out against.  And again, having used vinyl from the late 60s to about two and a half years ago, I think I've run up the miles (or the revolutions) to speak up with some experience.  YMMV.

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3496
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

I've followed this thread since page 1 and unless I've missed something I don't think anyone's been overtly anti-vinyl. Been a few home-truths to counter-balance the rose-tinted view that the format so frequently attracts. There's also been a little bit of nonsense as well about vinyl's supposed higher residual value, but that's only certain rare pressings of certain rare albums, in the eyes of collectors who probably don't even ever play them. The boxes and boxes of the things piled-up in charity-shops for 50p or less seem to have been forgotten.

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3496
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

...and just to counterbalance that, I must add that I remain very much a vinyl afficianado: while my TD160 remains out of service I still enjoy listening to a lot of old albums on my Technics SL6 equipped with an aftermarket OMP-10 cart. Though I haven't bought anything recent on vinyl (except the Beatles remasters), and am unlikely to ever do so for the reasons I have already stated.

ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 969
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

Freddy58 wrote:

Further to what drummerman says, I find the whole ritual of listening to an LP much more pleasing. That sense of expectation and anticipation, almost an event. With a CD, you just bung it in the slot. I guess I'm just an old-fashioned romantic...

Whether CD, Vinyl or iTunes I always listen to whole albums.  I never consider doing otherwise.  To me, an album is a complete piece and not for dipping into.  I abhor bonus tracks that weren't on the original album.  If wanted it otherwise I would listen to radio.

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 1993
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

MajorFubar wrote:

I've followed this thread since page 1 and unless I've missed something I don't think anyone's been overtly anti-vinyl. Been a few home-truths to counter-balance the rose-tinted view that the format so frequently attracts. There's also been a little bit of nonsense as well about vinyl's supposed higher residual value, but that's only certain rare pressings of certain rare albums, in the eyes of collectors who probably don't even ever play them. The boxes and boxes of the things piled-up in charity-shops for 50p or less seem to have been forgotten.

I think that's right.

Digital and vinyl are two ways of doing essentially the same thing: enjoying high-fidelity music at home. Whilst some folk see the positives in both, it's to be expected that others will see it as a choice: either vinyl or digital. And a thread with the dread word "vs" in its title will inevitably encourage polarization (even if DM did in his OP recommend a more liberal attitude).

As I've repeatedly said on this thread (and I'll only say it once more), for me the issue is cost. I'm very happy with digital playback. I'm also interested in vinyl because I have a (historic) collection of LPs. But if I pump cash into a TT to sit alongside my digital front end, how much will it cost me to get vinyl playback that won't be shown up by the rest of my system? And might that money not be better saved up against a future speaker upgrade?

Matt

The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves ...

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11218
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

the record spot wrote:
Actually David, I think it was one of your comments about how much more lifelike the sound of vinyl is (for whatever the recorded piece might be) that and the others like it and which I disagree with.

Doesn't really matter if you agree or not. It is the same as those who argue about active vs passive, solid state vs tube, electrostatic vs dynamic, solid core vs multi-strand, room acoustics vs EQ, moving magnet vs moving coil, bearing vs unipivot, bi-wire vs single wire, Class A vs Class A/B, etc etc. which is right and which is wrong? There is no right or wrong, just different approaches. Some approaches have been perfected over many decades, some are relatively new.

Personally, I have found vinyl to sound better to my ears on the whole, sometimes in a way that just can't be described. A good CD sounds great, despite its flaws, but I just find vinyl much more enjoyable, regardless of its flaws.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 1993
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

[...] A good CD sounds great, despite its flaws [...]

I guess some of us don't think CD has flaws.

Matt

The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves ...

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Doesn't really matter if you agree or not. It is the same as those who argue about active vs passive, solid state vs tube, electrostatic vs dynamic, solid core vs multi-strand, room acoustics vs EQ, moving magnet vs moving coil, bearing vs unipivot, bi-wire vs single wire, Class A vs Class A/B, etc etc. which is right and which is wrong? There is no right or wrong, just different approaches. Some approaches have been perfected over many decades, some are relatively new.

 

Which is my take.  Thanks for getting it, eventually.

 

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

Personally, I have found vinyl to sound better to my ears on the whole, sometimes in a way that just can't be described. A good CD sounds great, despite its flaws, but I just find vinyl much more enjoyable, regardless of its flaws.

 

Well, you're welcome to that POV, it's what you enjoy and that's fine.  However you just voiced the same sort of thing that infects the Hoffman forum at times - digital just can't do music in a lifelike manner and vinyl rules.  It's a tired and outmoded mindset and has been for years.

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11218
RE: Vinyl vs. Digital (CD)

the record spot wrote:
Which is my take.  Thanks for getting it, eventually.
"Had it" all the time.

Quote:
Well, you're welcome to that POV, it's what you enjoy and that's fine.  However you just voiced the same sort of thing that infects the Hoffman forum at times - digital just can't do music in a lifelike manner and vinyl rules.  It's a tired and outmoded mindset and has been for years.
Vinyl is a tired and outmoded format that has been around for about 100 years, but nothing has come along yet to bury it along with other dead formats with regards to sound quality.

Is a cello digital? Is a piano digital? (I'll not go on). You're taking a natural analogue waveform of a purely analogue instrument that can have harmonics way above those that CD produces, and changing it into a series of zeros and ones. Then when you play your CD on your CD player (that has to error correct on the fly), it changes those zeros and ones back into the complex - and it is extremely complex - multi layered end result comprising of hundreds, if not thousands, of frequencies all playing simultaneously. The day that can be done, and done with the same quality as the studio master on a domestic format, is the day that vinyl might die.

Does a digital piano sound exactly like a real piano? No, it doesn't, otherwise no one would buy pianos any more, they'd all be buying electronic keyboards. Or maybe people buy pianos because of the 'retro factor', or because they think its cool? 

I'm not saying digital can't "do music". When used well, it does an amazing job.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

Pages

Log in or register to post comments