102 posts / 0 new
Last post
shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

csq2 wrote:

There is a MAJOR difference between USB cables. I previously used a Monster/HP usb cable I bought from Walmart that gave me excellent results. However, when compared to the Chinese audiophile usb cable that I bought in China for the same price as the Monster, the sound is so much more detailed, clearer, refined, and the bass is significantly tighter. The biggest difference was the BASS. The monster cable, although thicker, produced a bass that was loose and bloated. Also, the treble of the Monster was gritty. I kept switching back and forth, closed my eyes, and always could point out which cable was used. The Chinese audiophile usb cable is beter built with thick teflon sleeve and 6N purity copper is used. Same price as the Monster's and at least 3x better in sound.  

Cheers for the comment, it shouldn't be too hard to locate the usb cable you are talking about...China is a small country after all  :wall: I get the gist, maybe I should start off with a chinese audiophile type cable.
The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12985
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1093
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

 

ROFL  what do you mean source?  If the cable didn't pass through the correct information it wouldn't work.  End of.  We're not talking about analogue tv and grainy pictures here.  You can buy a USB cable tester if you want.  You can buy testers to see if the USB ports are working properly etc etc...  How about you provide a source that scientifically proves that USB cables are different?

shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

 

ROFL  what do you mean source?  If the cable didn't pass through the correct information it wouldn't work.  End of.  We're not talking about analogue tv and grainy pictures here.  You can buy a USB cable tester if you want.  You can buy testers to see if the USB ports are working properly etc etc...  How about you provide a source that scientifically proves that USB cables are different?

I think people forget 2 sides of USB. USB carries power as well as data. If all usb cables are built equal then why do charging times differ between usb cables when using the same charger? Why does a usb powered dac fail to turn on when using some cables while running perfectly on others? Agreed that it will either provide data or not but you are also forgetting that data transfer times vary between usb cables (fact btw), in audio it is not ideal to have data reach late as it leads to timing inconsistencies. Like I said before, I really don't want to start a debate on this matter....most of us have been on the forum long enough to know the arguments for/against. Lets just say whether you have tried an audiophile usb cable and whether it has worked for you Smile

Thanks

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 14/01/2009 - 12:49
Posts: 958
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

:rofl:  what do you mean source?  If the cable didn't pass through the correct information it wouldn't work.  End of.

So 'scientifically and accurately' = 'just because', huh?

As in 'If the Earth wasn't flat, we'd all fall off. End of.', perhaps?

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1093
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

spiny norman wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

:rofl:  what do you mean source?  If the cable didn't pass through the correct information it wouldn't work.  End of.

So 'scientifically and accurately' = 'just because', huh?

As in 'If the Earth wasn't flat, we'd all fall off. End of.', perhaps?

 

:doh:  ROFL  God there's some daft people here.

 

Take a usb cable and say an external hard drive.  Create an MD5 hash on the computer for a selected file.  copy the file to the desired device.  Create MD5 hash on desired device of the copied file.  Compare.  They will be the same.  Change cable, and repeat.  That's the source and evidence that the cables are passing through the same information.  Jeeees, people get so defensive when you break their beliefs with a simple bit of evidence don't they?

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1093
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

shafesk wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

 

ROFL  what do you mean source?  If the cable didn't pass through the correct information it wouldn't work.  End of.  We're not talking about analogue tv and grainy pictures here.  You can buy a USB cable tester if you want.  You can buy testers to see if the USB ports are working properly etc etc...  How about you provide a source that scientifically proves that USB cables are different?

I think people forget 2 sides of USB. USB carries power as well as data. If all usb cables are built equal then why do charging times differ between usb cables when using the same charger? Why does a usb powered dac fail to turn on when using some cables while running perfectly on others? Agreed that it will either provide data or not but you are also forgetting that data transfer times vary between usb cables (fact btw), in audio it is not ideal to have data reach late as it leads to timing inconsistencies. Like I said before, I really don't want to start a debate on this matter....most of us have been on the forum long enough to know the arguments for/against. Lets just say whether you have tried an audiophile usb cable and whether it has worked for you Smile

Thanks

 

Yes, there are different levels of USB (1, 2 and 3), but the data will still be the same.  Please can you define the difference between an "audiophile" usb cable and one that isn't "audiophile"?

shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:

shafesk wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

 

ROFL  what do you mean source?  If the cable didn't pass through the correct information it wouldn't work.  End of.  We're not talking about analogue tv and grainy pictures here.  You can buy a USB cable tester if you want.  You can buy testers to see if the USB ports are working properly etc etc...  How about you provide a source that scientifically proves that USB cables are different?

I think people forget 2 sides of USB. USB carries power as well as data. If all usb cables are built equal then why do charging times differ between usb cables when using the same charger? Why does a usb powered dac fail to turn on when using some cables while running perfectly on others? Agreed that it will either provide data or not but you are also forgetting that data transfer times vary between usb cables (fact btw), in audio it is not ideal to have data reach late as it leads to timing inconsistencies. Like I said before, I really don't want to start a debate on this matter....most of us have been on the forum long enough to know the arguments for/against. Lets just say whether you have tried an audiophile usb cable and whether it has worked for you Smile

Thanks

 

Yes, there are different levels of USB (1, 2 and 3), but the data will still be the same.  Please can you define the difference between an "audiophile" usb cable and one that isn't "audiophile"?

I'm sorry I wasn't talking about USB 1,2 or 3 but talking about how transfer rate differs from cables....like I said the data will be the same but the transfer rate will not be. An audiophile usb cable will be one designed to carry an audio signal to a dac.  
The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12985
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

ROFL  what do you mean source?  If the cable didn't pass through the correct information it wouldn't work.  End of.  We're not talking about analogue tv and grainy pictures here.  You can buy a USB cable tester if you want.  You can buy testers to see if the USB ports are working properly etc etc...  How about you provide a source that scientifically proves that USB cables are different?

Chill your fucking boots man, I'm not arguing with you, as I said I've read a number of the technical explanations for how HDMI works and they're very interesting, so I'd like to have a look at the equivalent articles for how USB works, out of technical interest, nothing more than that. I have no opinion on whether audio USB cables differ because I don't use them, so I'm taking no side in this debate. I'm looking for information, that's it, your comment implies that you've already read the sort of articles I'm looking for, so I was hoping you could give me a shortcut to them (it's too early to be googling...). I even said "please" ffs...

BTW, just using the word "scientifically" doesn't mean your argument is scientifically sound...

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1093
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:

The_Lhc wrote:

cheeseboy wrote:
so even though we can prove scientifically and accurately that there are no differences with usb cables

Source please? I've seen the HDMI arguments but I haven't come across the equivalent for USB yet.

ROFL  what do you mean source?  If the cable didn't pass through the correct information it wouldn't work.  End of.  We're not talking about analogue tv and grainy pictures here.  You can buy a USB cable tester if you want.  You can buy testers to see if the USB ports are working properly etc etc...  How about you provide a source that scientifically proves that USB cables are different?

Chill your fucking boots man, I'm not arguing with you, as I said I've read a number of the technical explanations for how HDMI works and they're very interesting, so I'd like to have a look at the equivalent articles for how USB works, out of technical interest, nothing more than that. I have no opinion on whether audio USB cables differ because I don't use them, so I'm taking no side in this debate. I'm looking for information, that's it, your comment implies that you've already read the sort of articles I'm looking for, so I was hoping you could give me a shortcut to them (it's too early to be googling...). I even said "please" ffs...

BTW, just using the word "scientifically" doesn't mean your argument is scientifically sound...

 

Apologies, it's sometimes hard to read people's intentions on messageboards. Shouldn't have splurted like that. :cry:

 

Either way, see my other blurted post on how to test USB cables yourself.  You can get a port tester here http://www.passmark.com/products/usb2test.htm and also usb cable tester will tell you if the cable is connected properly.  After that you can test if the data is passing through untouched.  I'd personally say that covers any kind of scientific test as you can use controls and blind testing on them and the results will be the same.

Sorry everybody, bad day today. :poke:

cheeseboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 17/07/2012 - 10:50
Posts: 1093
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

shafesk wrote:

 I'm sorry I wasn't talking about USB 1,2 or 3 but talking about how transfer rate differs from cables....like I said the data will be the same but the transfer rate will not be. An audiophile usb cable will be one designed to carry an audio signal to a dac.  

the usb level 1,2 and 3 does refer to the transfer rates though and USB does not carry audio, it carries data.

The_Lhc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 16/10/2008 - 13:23
Posts: 12985
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:
Apologies, it's sometimes hard to read people's intentions on messageboards. Shouldn't have splurted like that. :cry:

No worries.

spiny norman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 14/01/2009 - 12:49
Posts: 958
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:
Take a usb cable and say an external hard drive.

Do I have to say that? Or will some other incantation do?  :shifty:

cheeseboy wrote:
Create an MD5 hash on the computer for a selected file.  copy the file to the desired device.  Create MD5 hash on desired device of the copied file.  Compare.  They will be the same.

No, you lost me when you started talking about making a hash of it.

cheeseboy wrote:
That's the source and evidence that the cables are passing through the same information.

And this happens in real-time, too, does it? Like when you're playing music, not doing something and then going back and comparing when it's finished doing what it's sposed to do?

cheeseboy wrote:
Jeeees, people get so defensive when you break their beliefs with a simple bit of evidence don't they?

Almost as defensive as they do when you dare to challenge their certainties, it seems.

 

shafesk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 18/09/2010 - 13:50
Posts: 777
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:

shafesk wrote:

 I'm sorry I wasn't talking about USB 1,2 or 3 but talking about how transfer rate differs from cables....like I said the data will be the same but the transfer rate will not be. An audiophile usb cable will be one designed to carry an audio signal to a dac.  

the usb level 1,2 and 3 does refer to the transfer rates though and USB does not carry audio, it carries data.

not reading the posts correctly today are you? myself and pretty much everybody knows what usb 1,2 and 3 is.....I'm saying that data transfer times also vary between CABLES (not usb standards) and the amount of power they can supply to a device also varies. Call it audio signal, data or audio data....whatever you want my friend, I'm saying that an audiophile cable would be one which is designed specifically for carrying information from a pc to a dac. 

Now can we please just share experiences.....

Andrew Everard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 days ago
Joined: 30/05/2007 - 12:34
Posts: 28836
RE: USB cables, please share your experience

cheeseboy wrote:
Please can you define the difference between an "audiophile" usb cable and one that isn't "audiophile"?

I believe some USB cables said to be 'audiophile' don't have the power connections, so they only carry data, the claim being that this reduces the potential for interference.

Pages

Log in or register to post comments