155 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alec's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 08/10/2007 - 21:06
Posts: 6121
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

Trefor Patten wrote:
Idiots about in both the 'makes no difference' and 'this cable has changed my life' camps.

Aren't there just? And you're wrong.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

[UNPUBLISHED - banned user]

El Hefe]</p> <p>[quote=Hookyspud]</p> <p>[quote=El Hefe]</p> <p>[quote=Hookyspud]</p> <p>[quote=El Hefe wrote:

Hookyspud wrote:

paradiziac wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

 

 

Knowing more sometimes can be more confusing. When it comes to pleasure of music, I rather one to trust their own ears eventhough there is white paper by Albert Einstein himself saying the opposite. 

And its for the OP to take any advices with a pinch of salt. This is not a textbook exercise of which there is a clear right or wrong. 

Play a track today and play it again next week without changing anything in your set up. I will be surprised if there isn't even a slight different in sound.

But there is a clear right and wrong re this subject. Digital cables have no effect on sound quality. Explaining so is clearly right, whereas suggesting otherwise is clearly wrong.

 

 

 

There is no clear right and wrong on the subject. One party says one thing and the other says the opposite. Both parties try to show their evidence and yet both parties are not authoritive enough nor in the industry and engineering or science. And now you say digital cables, not only USB have no effect on sound quality.  Good for you to be one of those who can accept that.  It sometimes can be a curse on people that feels the opposite.

Hence, thats why I always go back to listening rather than  solely relying on reviews and thoughts.

 

But there is  :). Digital cables have no effect on audio/video quality. That is a fact, it's the truth, and it's clearly right to inform people of that fact.
Alec's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 08/10/2007 - 21:06
Posts: 6121
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

El Hefe, it really is simply a matter of fact.

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2900
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

El Hefe wrote:

Play a track today and play it again next week without changing anything in your set up. I will be surprised if there isn't even a slight different in sound.

So even though nothings changed, it sounds different?  I'd call that a good reason not to trust your ears! :doh:

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 21/06/2008 - 02:32
Posts: 1017
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

Craig M. wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

Play a track today and play it again next week without changing anything in your set up. I will be surprised if there isn't even a slight different in sound.

So even though nothings changed, it sounds different?  I'd call that a good reason not to trust your ears! :doh:

Not to trust your ears? Then why even bother listening to music?

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 21/06/2008 - 02:32
Posts: 1017
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

[UNPUBLISHED - response to post by banned user]

Hookyspud wrote:

 

But there is  :). Digital cables have no effect on audio/video quality. That is a fact, it's the truth, and it's clearly right to inform people of that fact.

Based on the fact nothing can affect 1s and 0s? Need to try harder than that. Maybe.... just maybe one day there will be a law like Newton's Law stating 'Hey you HiFi fan, all USB cable are the same'. Smile But then this forum might be dead LOL.... 

 

Anyway, never did I say the advice given is the best nor did I say other people's advice is wrong. Up to the OP to follow which advice.

Craig M.'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 20 hours ago
Joined: 20/03/2008 - 20:10
Posts: 2900
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

El Hefe wrote:

Craig M. wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

Play a track today and play it again next week without changing anything in your set up. I will be surprised if there isn't even a slight different in sound.

So even though nothings changed, it sounds different?  I'd call that a good reason not to trust your ears! :doh:

Not to trust your ears? Then why even bother listening to music?

To enjoy it, not pick it apart wondering if I can hear a difference with some stupid cable.  My point was if the same system can sound different when it isn't, how can you trust yourself to know if a difference you hear is real or not?  I think I'll bow out of this one though and leave you and some of the others fretting about cables, I'll go back to what I was doing earlier - enjoying some music.

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 21/06/2008 - 02:32
Posts: 1017
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

Craig M. wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

Craig M. wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

Play a track today and play it again next week without changing anything in your set up. I will be surprised if there isn't even a slight different in sound.

So even though nothings changed, it sounds different?  I'd call that a good reason not to trust your ears! :doh:

Not to trust your ears? Then why even bother listening to music?

To enjoy it, not pick it apart wondering if I can hear a difference with some stupid cable.  My point was if the same system can sound different when it isn't, how can you trust yourself to know if a difference you hear is real or not?  I think I'll bow out of this one though and leave you and some of the others fretting about cables, I'll go back to what I was doing earlier - enjoying some music.

Thats my point all along...to the OP at least... try it out...if there is no different in sound.. so be it....Enjoy the music... if there is, fortunate/unfortunate for the OP...depending how the OP takes it...

And my analogy about listening to the track is that....even without any changes made on your set up...no 2 different occasions that the music you listen to will sound 100% the same....

But yes...that is on useful advice...Enjoy the music...and not hifi...

pauln's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 26/02/2008 - 13:10
Posts: 700
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

To all those who believe that they have golden ears; click on the link at the bottom of Craig M's post then scroll down until you get to the link to the McGurk effect and watch it. Your ears lie to you most of the time.

NwAvGuy has a similar attitude to Alan Shaw (Harbeth) - he is an engineer who does not believe the HiFi myths and like AS he can provide plenty of evidence to back up his beliefs.

I think what most people here are trying to do is to prevent people wasting a lot money on things that make no difference.

"Let your ears decide" is possibly the worst advice to give anyone.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

[UNPUBLISHED - banned user]

El Hefe wrote:

Craig M. wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

Craig M. wrote:

El Hefe wrote:

Play a track today and play it again next week without changing anything in your set up. I will be surprised if there isn't even a slight different in sound.

So even though nothings changed, it sounds different?  I'd call that a good reason not to trust your ears! :doh:

Not to trust your ears? Then why even bother listening to music?

To enjoy it, not pick it apart wondering if I can hear a difference with some stupid cable.  My point was if the same system can sound different when it isn't, how can you trust yourself to know if a difference you hear is real or not?  I think I'll bow out of this one though and leave you and some of the others fretting about cables, I'll go back to what I was doing earlier - enjoying some music.

Thats my point all along...to the OP at least... try it out...if there is no different in sound.. so be it....Enjoy the music... if there is, fortunate/unfortunate for the OP...depending how the OP takes it...

And my analogy about listening to the track is that....even without any changes made on your set up...no 2 different occasions that the music you listen to will sound 100% the same....

But yes...that is on useful advice...Enjoy the music...and not hifi...

But there can't be. It is not possible.
ifor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 03/12/2002 - 11:54
Posts: 995
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

bigboss wrote:
I don't get this. Are you saying that if my friend supports the English cricket team (as me), then I should be happy about his support for Manchester United (when I support Man City), simply because we both support the same team in cricket?

No, I didn't say that.

"Inspired" Manticore Mantra TT, Technics SL-7 TT, Graham Slee Reflex M phono preamp.  Cyrus CD8SE.  iMac, Raspberry Pi c/w HiFiBerry Digi c/w Volumio or Rune Audio, Arcam rDAC.  Roksan Kandy LIII amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

ROTH AV's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/03/2011 - 12:49
Posts: 112
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

ifor wrote:

ROTH AV wrote:

An audible difference between USB cables ?

Really ?

Laughed so hard my bum bled.

I found this interesting.  I assume Mr Roth looks forward to / hopes for favourable reviews for his products from the WHF reviewing team, but with comment he's effectively said that we can't trust WHF reviews.  A bit of a Gerald Ratner moment methinks.

 

Ifor. Here's how I see it (well, hear it).  I can hear differences between loudspeakers.  I can hear differences between amplifiers.  I can hear differences between systems where an amplifier and a speaker are joined together in one box.  Sometimes, even at my age, I can hear differences between certain types of interconnect and even some types of speaker cables. If one compares poorly built cable made out of scrag-ends from the copper bin against a well-manufactured, correctly terminated multi-strand cable, then science says there will be a difference in performance - it's not just my ears.

However, to suggest that anyone on this planet can actually hear a difference between 'audio' (actually, data) carried by USB cables is for me, in all probability, unlikely. I tend to deal with science and facts. For me, what is relevant is what is happening at either end of the USB cable. I kind of know about this stuff.

With regard to your specific comment regarding a 'Gerald Ratner moment' and your suggestion that 'we can't trust What HiFi reviews' - I take great personal offence. I haven't suggested that one cannot trust What HiFi reviews - if What HiFi writers believe that there is an audible difference between USB cables then that is entirely up to them and it's the choice of the readers as to whether their advice should be followed.  

I believe that I am also at liberty to make my own choices on this - I read What HiFi with great interest and have respect for all that work there. But - I don't agree with everything they say and sometimes I strongly disagree with their views on certain products or technologies.  This is my right as an individual living in Great Britain, rather than say, North Korea.  I also have the balls (as someone from Roth AV) to post occasionally on this forum, even if it does mean exposing myself to this type of insulting and obnoxious post.

Thank you.

 

El Hefe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 21/06/2008 - 02:32
Posts: 1017
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

pauln wrote:

To all those who believe that they have golden ears; click on the link at the bottom of Craig M's post then scroll down until you get to the link to the McGurk effect and watch it. Your ears lie to you most of the time.

NwAvGuy has a similar attitude to Alan Shaw (Harbeth) - he is an engineer who does not believe the HiFi myths and like AS he can provide plenty of evidence to back up his beliefs.

I think what most people here are trying to do is to prevent people wasting a lot money on things that make no difference.

"Let your ears decide" is possibly the worst advice to give anyone.

Wow! That has made me unworthy to be on this thread anymore as now I am known to be the giver of the worst advice. 

I will continue with my belief to enjoy to what I hear rather than whatever science textbook preach when it comes to music enjoyment. 

Hopefully the OP didnt loose his interest in CAS after reading the debate here. Smile

andyjm's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 11:49
Posts: 761
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

ROTH AV wrote:

However, to suggest that anyone on this planet can actually hear a difference between 'audio' (actually, data) carried by USB cables is for me, in all probability, unlikely. I tend to deal with science and facts. For me, what is relevant is what is happening at either end of the USB cable. I kind of know about this stuff.

 

James,

Knowing a bit about what happens at the ends of a USB cable myself, I would question your science and facts. 

If the USB cable is simply carrying async data, where the source and sink have flow control ability and sink timing is independent of the source clock, and the USB cable is not supplying power to the sink, then I would agree with your stance.  

If however (as I believe is more common) the USB cable is being asked also to supply clean, low impedance power to the sink, and / or stable, jitter free timing information, then I think that there is a chance that poor quality cables MAY be able to impact the sound quality.

What is your view on this?

 

bigboss's picture
Offline
Last seen: 35 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 25/03/2009 - 21:40
Posts: 13273
RE: usb cables expensive v cheap

ifor wrote:

bigboss wrote:
I don't get this. Are you saying that if my friend supports the English cricket team (as me), then I should be happy about his support for Manchester United (when I support Man City), simply because we both support the same team in cricket?

No, I didn't say that.

That's exactly what you meant: either trust all WHF reviews, or don't trust any of its reviews. Why should it be that way? You may agree with some of its reviews as it correlates with your experience, but if your experience is different to some of its other reviews, so be it. What's wrong in that?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments