229 posts / 0 new
Last post
Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 1103
RE: Tone Controls

Hiya folks, thanks for the replies Smile

I'm convinced that tone controls are a useful tool to compensate for flat-ish recordings. I have pretty much all of Genesis on vinyl, and their early recordings I find to be quite flat sounding. I like my reproduction to have a little 'life' to it, nothing over the top, but just a little added warmth. I find it disappointing that so many manufacturers don't bother with tone controls, it's quite limiting. We all have different ideas as to what sounds good, but flat doesn't really do it for me.

 

Cheers...Freddy

Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 1103
RE: Tone Controls

Oh yes, this made me chuckle.....

 

chebby wrote:

You've moved house. The new layout doesn't allow for your favourite speakers to stand 18" from the wall and corners so the bass is a tad boomy as you now have to place them 6" from the wall and 12" from the corners.

You drop the bass control one or two notches and it sounds excellent again with no boomy bass on the tracks where it was worst.

However, the guys on the forum are telling you 'straight' is best and you should instead change cables, change the speakers, change the amp, treat the room acoustics (you've just moved house, you don't have any money), change the  music, move house again, do penance at the shrine of the blessed Julian for your sin,  stick foam and egg cartons and carpet off-cuts or velcro some cats behind and to the sides of the speakers, get a divorce  ...  etc.  ANYTHING but use the tone control. ("Move away from the knob. Never touch the knob. Go directly to source and do not collect £200 because you are a disgrace to hi-fi!")

 

:grin:

eggontoast's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 19 hours ago
Joined: 23/02/2011 - 15:21
Posts: 1443
RE: Tone Controls

Freddy58 wrote:

 I have pretty much all of Genesis on vinyl.....

I'm not sure tone controls, graphic equalisers or in actual fact that anything is going to help with that, maybe an act of god   :shifty: 

Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 1103
RE: Tone Controls

Here's a thought.

When we go about choosing a 'system', we try this with that, this with something else and so on until we find something that we like the sound of. Is this not a form of tone control?

Another thought.

If a manufacturer came up with a system that was proven beyond doubt to reproduce music exactly as it was recorded, would everyone buy it?

bigfish786's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 14 hours ago
Joined: 29/01/2013 - 18:35
Posts: 441
RE: Tone Controls

Freddy58 wrote:

Here's a thought.

When we go about choosing a 'system', we try this with that, this with something else and so on until we find something that we like the sound of. Is this not a form of tone control?

Another thought.

If a manufacturer came up with a system that was proven beyond doubt to reproduce music exactly as it was recorded, would everyone buy it?

only if it got 5 stars and we were told to buy it. and it would have to be £5k or nobody would believe it.

 

 

Rotel RP3000, Arcam DV79, Rega Apollo, Leema Pulse, Focal Chorus 826v.

JamesMellor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 19/07/2013 - 15:45
Posts: 344
RE: Tone Controls

Back in my youth , billions of years ago we used to like every kind of stringed insurment , mod / rock / metal / classic / blues / folk and every kind of story related music , you used to get in some places , like the Railway in aston open mikes and some r real players / singers .

 

it realy was a time when people said you got to get in here theres a guy singing xxx

 

James

 

Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 1103
RE: Tone Controls

JamesMellor wrote:

Back in my youth , billions of years ago we used to like every kind of stringed insurment , mod / rock / metal / classic / blues / folk and every kind of story related music , you used to get in some places , like the Railway in aston open mikes and some r real players / singers .

 

it realy was a time when people said you got to get in here theres a guy singing xxx

 

James

 

 

I'm probably stupid, but this is relevant because?

lpv's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 14/03/2013 - 10:46
Posts: 410
RE: Tone Controls

chebby wrote:

You've moved house. The new layout doesn't allow for your favourite speakers to stand 18" from the wall and corners so the bass is a tad boomy as you now have to place them 6" from the wall and 12" from the corners.

You drop the bass control one or two notches and it sounds excellent again with no boomy bass on the tracks where it was worst.

However, the guys on the forum are telling you 'straight' is best and you should instead change cables, change the speakers, change the amp, treat the room acoustics (you've just moved house, you don't have any money), change the  music, move house again, do penance at the shrine of the blessed Julian for your sin,  stick foam and egg cartons and carpet off-cuts or velcro some cats behind and to the sides of the speakers, get a divorce  ...  etc.  ANYTHING but use the tone control. ("Move away from the knob. Never touch the knob. Go directly to source and do not collect £200 because you are a disgrace to hi-fi!")

haha.. very true

my music sounds best on headphones anyway, no tone controls involved... 

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 1036
RE: Tone Controls

seems most people are coming to thier senses as far as HIFI is concerned.  WHO MADE THE RULES>> OH THIS IS THE WAY YOU MUST LISTEN TO YOUR MUSIC.. AS FAR AS AM CONCERNED NO ONE TELLS ME HOW TO LISTEN TO MUSIC..  I USE TONE CONTROLS AND IT DOES NOTHING BAD TO THE MUSIC.. CAUSE LIKE SOMEONE MENTIONED PUTTING A SYSTEM TOGETHER IS A FORM OF TONE CONTORL... THE WAY I SEE IT, AS FAR AS MY SYSTEM IS MUSICAL THEN TONE CAN BE DEALT WITH AS FAR AS ITS NOT TOTALLY OVERLY BRIGHT OR DULL.

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

Vladimir's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 26/12/2013 - 19:17
Posts: 2480
RE: Tone Controls

Freddy58 wrote:

If a manufacturer came up with a system that was proven beyond doubt to reproduce music exactly as it was recorded, would everyone buy it?

 

Aunt Sally argument?  Wink

If anyone made music to be reproduce EXACTLY as its being recorded through a Hi-Fi, then he/she would win all the Nobel, Pulitzer, Grammy, Emmy, Oscar etc. prizes. Konosuke Matsushita will rise from his grave and buy him/her a beer and Simon Cowell will say "that is brilliant, flawless." 

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 26/11/2008 - 10:58
Posts: 1036
RE: Tone Controls

Vladimir wrote:

Freddy58 wrote:

If a manufacturer came up with a system that was proven beyond doubt to reproduce music exactly as it was recorded, would everyone buy it?

 

Aunt Sally argument?  Wink

If anyone made music to be reproduce EXACTLY as its being recorded through a Hi-Fi, then he/she would win all the Nobel, Pulitzer, Grammy, Emmy, Oscar etc. prizes. Konosuke Matsushita will rise from his grave and buy him/her a beer and Simon Cowell will say "that is brilliant, flawless." 

ROFL :rofl:

 OPPO 105EU, Arcam AVR450, Boston Acoustics M340. Dac: Musical fedility V90.

Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 1103
RE: Tone Controls

Freddy58 wrote:

Here's a thought.

When we go about choosing a 'system', we try this with that, this with something else and so on until we find something that we like the sound of. Is this not a form of tone control?

Another thought.

If a manufacturer came up with a system that was proven beyond doubt to reproduce music exactly as it was recorded, would everyone buy it?

 

I think the point has been missed....

Al ears's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 23/11/2008 - 19:20
Posts: 3331
RE: Tone Controls

So do I because even if such a mythical system did exist everyone would have to listen to it in an identical room. :grin:

 

Motto: Never pay full price for anything, there is always room to haggle!

Tom Evans Audio Design amplification / Acoustic Zen speakers.

Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 1103
RE: Tone Controls

Al ears wrote:

So do I because even if such a mythical system did exist everyone would have to listen to it in an identical room. :grin:

 

You're getting there Smile Point is, would everyone like it? After all, at that point, HiFi utopia would have been achieved, wouldn't it? Somehow, I have my doubts that everyone would go for it...

JamesMellor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 19/07/2013 - 15:45
Posts: 344
RE: Tone Controls

Sorry Freddy s not , inner monologue I guess

 

James

Pages

Log in or register to post comments