Have your say & ask the experts!

There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

20 replies [Last post]
ifor's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Dec 2002
Posts: 876

To all you argumentative types who get so wound up in threads like this < http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/better-mastered-music-could-be-on-the-way >, this < http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/usb-cables-please-share-your-experience > and countless others:-

In Evelyn Glennie < http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Glennie > there is living proof that audio goes way beyond what the human ear can hear.

__________________

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

Codex77's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Nov 2012
Posts: 35
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

She feels vibrations.  That's a very different thing and has no bearing on what the human ear hears from speakers.  We can all feel vibrations, deaf or not.  They are a reaction of the environment to sound waves.  They are not the sounds themselves.  Would you buy audio equipment based on how much resonance vibration you could feel?  In fact, for those who are not profoundly deaf, such vibrations would tend to get in the way of the audio, unless they were very mild, or deliberately 'placed' there, for musical effect.

__________________

Sony Bravia KDL-46HX853 3D smart TV, Yamaha RX-A2010 AV receiver, Monitor Audio Silver RX6 floorstanders, Monitor Audio Silver RX Centre, Wharfedale Valdus 100 SE bookshelf speakers (surrounds), Sony BDP-S790 blu-ray player, Sony Playstation 3 (500Gb).

ifor's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Dec 2002
Posts: 876
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Quote from Evelyn Glennie's Hearing Essay:-

"Hearing is basically a specialized form of touch. Sound is simply vibrating air which the ear picks up and converts to electrical signals, which are then interpreted by the brain. The sense of hearing is not the only sense that can do this, touch can do this too. If you are standing by the road and a large truck goes by, do you hear or feel the vibration? The answer is both. With very low frequency vibration the ear starts becoming inefficient and the rest of the body's sense of touch starts to take over. For some reason we tend to make a distinction between hearing a sound and feeling a vibration, in reality they are the same thing. It is interesting to note that in the Italian language this distinction does not exist. The verb 'sentire' means to hear and the same verb in the reflexive form 'sentirsi' means to feel. Deafness does not mean that you can't hear, only that there is something wrong with the ears. Even someone who is totally deaf can still hear/feel sounds". 

__________________

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

Paul.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2010
Posts: 2846
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Codex77 wrote:

 Would you buy audio equipment based on how much resonance vibration you could feel? 

 

I'm pretty sure a few people on here have bought 'butt kickers', 

__________________

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

Electro's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Mar 2011
Posts: 995
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Yes I agree .

I was shot down because I mentioned this phenomenon  on another thread .

Being able to feel the music is almost as important to me as being able to hear it , when I listen to music everything in the room including parts of my body vibrate in sympathy with with the music   shifty  excellent!

 

The feel of music picked up by my body I find very pleasurable , I think this is why I dislike using headphones because so much of the musical experience is missing when listening with my ears alone .

It is probably true that I am not hearing the vibrations by the accepted definition of hearing  but they are essential for my listening pleasure and add a great deal to the music for me .

I  fully expect to take a little flak for posting this but then I guess we are all different Wink

 

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

retro_sussex's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 30
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Electro wrote:

Yes I agree .

I was shot down because I mentioned this phenomenon  on another thread .

Being able to feel the music is almost as important to me as being able to hear it , when I listen to music everything in the room including parts of my body vibrate in sympathy with with the music   shifty  excellent!

 

The feel of music picked up by my body I find very pleasurable , I think this is why I dislike using headphones because so much of the musical experience is missing when listening with my ears alone .

It is probably true that I am not hearing the vibrations by the accepted definition of hearing  but they are essential for my listening pleasure and add a great deal to the music for me .

I  fully expect to take a little flak for posting this but then I guess we are all different Wink

 

 

I would agree, if you can't feel the music you are missing something. It's the experience I get from a large speaker enclosure and not from a small bookshelf speaker. No doubt those using small speakers will disagree.

__________________

Retro

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 836
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Nice thread... We as humams are yet to know all that there is to know yet... Sound is a very personal thing. There may be reasons why some may not hear differnces in sound of Hifi equipment, also why some perfer a type of sound to the other. Nice piont made here, cause some people will kill for that shake the floor kind of bass & do not care much about detials of the music. while some will want as much detail & balance as possible.

But hey, without threads like this we would just get on each others throat all the time. Hopefully oneday someone will come up with an explanation why so many have so many different view pionts as far as HIFI is concerned.

But hey main while its all good fun!! party time!

__________________

No rules. If it sounds good to you it sounds Right!!.Transpor:t . Oppo BDP-105EU Blue ray player. DAC:Musical Fidelity V90. AMP: Arcam AVR450. SPEAKER'S: Boston acoustics M340.

 

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Jul 2012
Posts: 972
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

That one sense can react to a stimulus usually detected by another is called synaesthesia and is a well-known phenomenum.  Perhaps the commonest one you hear of is when people who experience a large explosion sense a flash of light even when one they are not in a position to actually see one.

I suffer from something called photoptarmosis which is sneezing brought on by bright sunlight which seems to be the nerve endings in the nose detecting the light.  It's actually quite common with something like 1/4 of the population suffering from this.  (It's not much suffering to be honest!)

Chris

PS I also suffer from hysterical laughter when reading some posts to this forum but I think that is cynicism rather than synaesthesia.  Laughing

daytona600's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 Oct 2012
Posts: 75
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

google - supertweeters 

ReValveiT's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Aug 2010
Posts: 127
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Covenanter wrote:
.

I suffer from something called photoptarmosis which is sneezing brought on by bright sunlight which seems to be the nerve endings in the nose detecting the light.  It's actually quite common with something like 1/4 of the population suffering from this.  (It's not much suffering to be honest!)

 

Ha! I've always had this but didn't realise it was a known condition!? Wow. Learn something new every day.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11427
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.
__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

ifor's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Dec 2002
Posts: 876
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Native_bon wrote:

Nice thread... We as humams are yet to know all that there is to know yet... Sound is a very personal thing. There may be reasons why some may not hear differnces in sound of Hifi equipment, also why some perfer a type of sound to the other.

Natural biological variation; natural selection; survival of the fittest; not all are fit to be audiophiles! Smile

__________________

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

Phileas's picture
Offline
Joined: 5 May 2012
Posts: 244
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

ifor wrote:

To all you argumentative types who get so wound up in threads like this < http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/usb-cables-please-share-your-experience >  there is living proof that audio goes way beyond what the human ear can hear.

So what are you suggesting, that USB cables produce vibrations as they pass 0s and 1s, that suitably sensitive listeners can feel?

__________________

Main: SqueezeBox Classic>AVI ADM40

Second: SqueezeBox Touch>AVI ADM9RSS

ifor's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Dec 2002
Posts: 876
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Phileas wrote:

So what are you suggesting, that USB cables produce vibrations as they pass 0s and 1s, that suitably sensitive listeners can feel?

No, I didn't suggest that.

__________________

Source 1) "Inspired" Manticore Mantra turntable c/w Rega RB 301 arm, Goldring 1042 MM Cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M phono stage, Graham Slee CuSat 50 interconnect

Source 2) Cyrus CD8 SE CD player

Source 3) iTunes (ALAC), iMac, Devolo Homeplugs, Apple TV3, Toslink, Arcam rDAC

Source 4) Technics SL-7 linear tracking turntable.

Roksan Kandy L3 amp, Spendor A5 speakers.

Other rooms: more Airport Expresses and Homeplugs with Denon AV system and Denon Mini system. 

Hoodedcrow's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Mar 2012
Posts: 27
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

I agree with the feeling music part,

For example just go to any large nightclub with a powerful sound system and tell me you can’t feel the bass when you are having a jump around on the dance floor.

Most people won’t be dancing to the music but dancing to the baseline which is for me just as easy to feel as it is to hear.

Feeling the music adds to the experience you have there.

Mind you that was more than a few years ago, so maybe I was hearing through rose coloured ear muffs Smile

 

 

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 836
RE: There's more to audio than what the human ear can hear.

Angry

Phileas wrote:

ifor wrote:

To all you argumentative types who get so wound up in threads like this < http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/usb-cables-please-share-your-experience >  there is living proof that audio goes way beyond what the human ear can hear.

So what are you suggesting, that USB cables produce vibrations as they pass 0s and 1s, that suitably sensitive listeners can feel?

Yeap, there is always one >)  >)

__________________

No rules. If it sounds good to you it sounds Right!!.Transpor:t . Oppo BDP-105EU Blue ray player. DAC:Musical Fidelity V90. AMP: Arcam AVR450. SPEAKER'S: Boston acoustics M340.