Have your say & ask the experts!

The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

512 replies [Last post]
CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422

When I first got this amp, I was a lone nutter in the wilderness, extolling the virtues of an amp that seemed to be a ridiculous amount of money for "only" 35 Watts! I then persuaded Alex to give it a listen, and thanks to the excellent adventures that he had with Roby, and their subsequent (amazing) threads, it caught the interest of the forum.

I like to think of the small, but growing band of owners on here, as the "35 club". My thinking was to have a thread that the owners can give feedback on how they're getting on and if they have been tempted into improving their system on the back of owning this amp.

It also has the added benefit of encouraging (tempting) others to have a listen, who are in the market at this price point, and want to see what all the fuss is about...hopefully there will be no more exploding ones, but this too is important info to be brought to the attention of both present and potential owners.

This is one of the very few amps that seems to meet the expectations of both Valve and SS owners and is a must listen, provided you can live with the heat and power consumption....and that it's around the money you wish to spend.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

I can't speak highly enough in favour of this amazing amp...I feel I belong to this group even if I bought another one in the end!!! If I were alone (not having my gf's taste to take into account) I would have bought an AMS for sure...

It is a great choice for somebody who wants the warm and emotional sound of a valve amplifier without having to worry about changing valves every now and then.

If anybody has this kind of budget it is a must listen amp....

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

acalex wrote:

I can't speak highly enough in favour of this amazing amp...I feel I belong to this group even if I bought another one in the end!!! If I were alone (not having my gf's taste to take into account) I would have bought an AMS for sure...

It is a great choice for somebody who wants the warm and emotional sound of a valve amplifier without having to worry about changing valves every now and then.

If anybody has this kind of budget it is a must listen amp....

Good to see you, young man.....and I hope that you and/or Roby will become fully paid up members in one or t'other of my two threads of a similar nature! Evil

You have certainly earned honorary life membership of the 35 club. Smile

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

acalex's picture
Offline
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 1591
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

CnoEvil wrote:

acalex wrote:

I can't speak highly enough in favour of this amazing amp...I feel I belong to this group even if I bought another one in the end!!! If I were alone (not having my gf's taste to take into account) I would have bought an AMS for sure...

It is a great choice for somebody who wants the warm and emotional sound of a valve amplifier without having to worry about changing valves every now and then.

If anybody has this kind of budget it is a must listen amp....

Good to see you, young man.....and I hope that you and/or Roby will become fully paid up members in one or t'other of my two threads of a similar nature! >) You have certainly earned honorary life membership of the 35 club. Smile

I am honored, thanks a lot!

How I see myself in the short/medium term...would be probably with a Akurate DS and a Pathos Inpol 2...I think the italian fashion really got me..  doh!

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

acalex wrote:

I am honored, thanks a lot!

It's the least you deserve for your not inconsiderable part in putting this amp on the map.

Beer Beer Beer

Cno

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

WishTree's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 1003
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

My entry is in denied at multiple levels into this club  Crying

However I will follow this thread with full attention and hopefully one day I will be able to own one lsiten one at one of the club members set up.

May be a Class A amplfier club will also be a good idea.. damn I would not become a member even there  embarassed Crying

__________________

My System

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15550
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

Smile

CnoEvil wrote:
When I first got this amp, I was a lone nutter in the wilderness, extolling the virtues of an amp that seemed to be a ridiculous amount of money for "only" 35 Watts! I then persuaded Alex to give it a listen, and thanks to the excellent adventures that he had with Roby, and their subsequent (amazing) threads, it caught the interest of the forum. I like to think of the small, but growing band of owners on here, as the "35 club". My thinking was to have a thread that the owners can give feedback on how they're getting on and if they have been tempted into improving their system on the back of owning this amp. It also has the added benefit of encouraging (tempting) others to have a listen, who are in the market at this price point, and want to see what all the fuss is about...hopefully there will be no more exploding ones, but this too is important info to be brought to the attention of both present and potential owners. This is one of the very few amps that seems to meet the expectations of both Valve and SS owners and is a must listen, provided you can live with the heat and power consumption....and that it's around the money you wish to spend.

Mmmm... love to contribute Cno, honestly would... however, no way will I ever have the budget or the desire to spend £6k plus on an amp and 3-5k on Kef Reference speakers. Therefore I think it'll be a very, very exclusive club.

Wish you luck with it though. Smile

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

WishTree wrote:

My entry is in denied at multiple levels into this club  Crying

However I will follow this thread with full attention and hopefully one day I will be able to own one lsiten one at one of the club members set up.

May be a Class A amplfier club will also be a good idea.. damn I would not become a member even there  embarassed Crying

You also get honorary membership, as you've owned a wonderful Class A amp, and I wouldn't rule out you going full circle, sometime in the future.....that is when you realize nothing else quite sounds as good! Evil

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

plastic penguin wrote:

Mmmm... love to contribute Cno, honestly would... however, no way will I ever have the budget or the desire to spend £6k plus on an amp and 3-5k on Kef Reference speakers. Therefore I think it'll be a very, very exclusive club.

Wish you luck with it though. Smile

All Penguins have the "Keys to the thread" and so all opinions / contributions gratefully received.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15550
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

Nah, my keys always end up down the back of the sofa.

Question I've always wanted an answer to: If your amp was, just an example, set-up in my living room (18' x 13')but with standmouted Kef Reference speakers and had - let's say - a Leema Antila with MA PL100 alongside, would the cheapo system sound as good or better or worse than the MF/Kef set-up?

Or put another way, doesn't room size limit the capabilities of systems, especially those in the upper echolon price bracket?

Don't expect exact answer, so educated guess will suffice.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

plastic penguin wrote:

Nah, my keys always end up down the back of the sofa.

Question I've always wanted an answer to: If your amp was, just an example, set-up in my living room (18' x 13')but with standmouted Kef Reference speakers and had - let's say - a Leema Antila with MA PL100 alongside, would the cheapo system sound as good or better or worse than the MF/Kef set-up?

Or put another way, doesn't room size limit the capabilities of systems, especially those in the upper echolon price bracket?

Don't expect exact answer, so educated guess will suffice.

PP my addled brain is a little confused with your examples of systems ie. do you mean:
Antilla + 35i + 201/2s vs Antilla + Pulse (?) + PL 100 (not exactly cheapo)

This question has a lot of variables but here goes:

- An amp is the heart of a system and a talented one will always bring huge dividends (provided you like it) in terms of control and quantity of bass; transient response; detail, soundstage etc etc,. My amp for instance, sounds as if it has an extra octave of Bass.

- The better the speaker the more they respond to a good amp and a good source. The Kef 201/2s are capable of surprising bass, provided the amp is up to the job. If the amp isn't, I would rather have the cheaper system, provided the speakers are properly controlled.

- As you have told others, its about balance. If a source is too good for a system, it won't shine and so is a waste of money (unless an upgrade is on the cards). If the amp can't handle the speakers, they will sound well below par.

- There will always be a limit to the size of a room that you can put a Standmount in, and I think the 35i + 201/2s would be fine in your room. Taste also comes into it, some people can't live without deep pounding bass that hits you in the chest, while others prefer a detailed, balanced and controlled sound, with an accurate mid-range, where there is no "muddling" of the sound in complex passages.

So to sum up, within reason, the better system should sound much better, but the room will always have a sizable effect, but it will have this effect on both systems.....the Refs have boundary compensation which also helps.

I hope I have gone some way towards answering your question.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

WishTree's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 May 2010
Posts: 1003
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

CnoEvil wrote:

You also get honorary membership, as you've owned a wonderful Class A amp, and I wouldn't rule out you going full circle, sometime in the future.....that is when you realize nothing else quite sounds as good! >)

Thanks Cno.. Yes, I am with you on Class A amplfication even more than before. The HK990 is a completely different beast altogether and a pleasant surprise (I will create a thread for it and explain how / why I want my next amp to be Pathos)

So.. it looks like in the end I might end up with Class A amplification and I will write my post soon on this! 

AMS35i? Not there yet but I am sure MF will come with a product that is Class A and more to my requirements soon!! (Wishful thinking)

__________________

My System

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

WishTree wrote:

 (Wishful thinking)....

...or even "Wishtree thinking!" embarassed

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 15550
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

CnoEvil wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Nah, my keys always end up down the back of the sofa.

Question I've always wanted an answer to: If your amp was, just an example, set-up in my living room (18' x 13')but with standmouted Kef Reference speakers and had - let's say - a Leema Antila with MA PL100 alongside, would the cheapo system sound as good or better or worse than the MF/Kef set-up?

Or put another way, doesn't room size limit the capabilities of systems, especially those in the upper echolon price bracket?

Don't expect exact answer, so educated guess will suffice.

PP my addled brain is a little confused with your examples of systems ie. do you mean: Antilla + 35i + 201/2s vs Antilla + Pulse (?) + PL 100 (not exactly cheapo) This question has a lot of variables but here goes: - An amp is the heart of a system and a talented one will always bring huge dividends (provided you like it) in terms of control and quantity of bass; transient response; detail, soundstage etc etc,. My amp for instance, sounds as if it has an extra octave of Bass. - The better the speaker the more they respond to a good amp and a good source. The Kef 201/2s are capable of surprising bass, provided the amp is up to the job. If the amp isn't, I would rather have the cheaper system, provided the speakers are properly controlled. - As you have told others, its about balance. If a source is too good for a system, it won't shine and so is a waste of money (unless an upgrade is on the cards). If the amp can't handle the speakers, they will sound well below par. - There will always be a limit to the size of a room that you can put a Standmount in, and I think the 35i + 201/2s would be fine in your room. Taste also comes into it, some people can't live without deep pounding bass that hits you in the chest, while others prefer a detailed, balanced and controlled sound, with an accurate mid-range, where there is no "muddling" of the sound in complex passages. So to sum up, within reason, the better system should sound much better, but the room will always have a sizable effect, but it will have this effect on both systems.....the Refs have boundary compensation which also helps. I hope I have gone some way towards answering your question.

Sorry, meant Leema Tucana not Antila. I know room acoustics make a difference but can a size of room limit the true potential of your system or kit of similar money.

The reason why I'm asking is because all the houses I've lived in have had very similar proportions - and I've never heard a amp of the quality of your MF.

__________________

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

 

Formerly known as plastic penguin

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11422
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

plastic penguin wrote:

Sorry, meant Leema Tucana not Antila. I know room acoustics make a difference but can a size of room limit the true potential of your system or kit of similar money.

The reason why I'm asking is because all the houses I've lived in have had very similar proportions - and I've never heard a amp of the quality of your MF.

Right, a couple more comments.

Tucana vs AMS 35i is as much about Class A vs Class A/B as it is about the superiority of the MF. I have a personal rule of thumb that says you need to double the cost to get a good increase in performance.

The Tucana is one of the best SS amps around its price point, but if you like SS Class A, the 35i has very few competitors under £10k...if you ever get a chance to have a listen, take it!

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Native_bon's picture
Offline
Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 831
RE: The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

I had the pleasure to listen to this amp when i went to audition a DAC. I must say the sound was very pleasing to the ear. I heard them through some spendor speakers which cousred around 6grand. Evn at low volume a could hear a lot of detail. This amp is full on enveloping sound.

If i have the money now I will buy one like yesterday. Excellent stuff. I have sonus faber Cremona's floor standers not sure if may be too smooth for them. Then it may be time to save up. Oh i just only realized now the 35watts per channel. Sounded more like 120 per channel when i had a listen.

__________________

No rules. If it sounds good to you it sounds Right!!.Transpor:t . Oppo BDP-105EU Blue ray player. DAC:Musical Fidelity V90. AMP: Arcam AVR450. SPEAKER'S: Boston acoustics M340.