Have your say & ask the experts!

The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

512 replies [Last post]
CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE: RE The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

Singslinger][quote=CnoEvil wrote:

 Can I apply too? woohoo! woohoo!

All done.......now life member, provided of course you behave yourself! ohhh sure

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Singslinger's picture
Offline
Joined: 31 Jul 2010
Posts: 657
RE: RE The Musical Fidelity AMS 35i thread

CnoEvil]</p> <p>[quote=Singslinger wrote:
CnoEvil wrote:

 Can I apply too? woohoo! woohoo!

All done.......now life member, provided of course you behave yourself! ohhh sure

I promise never to stray from the class A path of true light! cheer party time!

iceman16's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2011
Posts: 660
RE:

Just demoed the Tellurium graphite at home today. The dealer delivered the cable personally and we had a chat and shared our opinions with regards to cables. First..the graphite are not one of the best looking cable IMO. How about the sound? Yes they are very good, excellent detail, and the top end really sparkle with very good controlled bass. the separation of instrument is also top notch. Now how did it compare with the MIT Avt MA? The graphite has a slight edge or I may say a bit better on the lower end. Played Eva Cassidy's "Songbird" album and the voice of Eva is so vibrant with a huge scale.

 

But there's something missing compared to the MIT. Eva Cassidy's voice sounded more fluid,smooth and more natural with the MIT. I am missing the holographic 3d sound of the MIT. The dealer also agrees with my findings who was just sitting beside me while playing some cd's. In our opinion there's no point of changing from MIT to TQ graphitewoohoo!

 

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE:

iceman16 wrote:

Just demoed the Tellurium graphite at home today. The dealer delivered the cable personally and we had a chat and shared our opinions with regards to cables. First..the graphite are not one of the best looking cable IMO. How about the sound? Yes they are very good, excellent detail, and the top end really sparkle with very good controlled bass. the separation of instrument is also top notch. Now how did it compare with the MIT Avt MA? The graphite has a slight edge or I may say a bit better on the lower end. Played Eva Cassidy's "Songbird" album and the voice of Eva is so vibrant with a huge scale.

But there's something missing compared to the MIT. Eva Cassidy's voice sounded more fluid,smooth and more natural with the MIT. I am missing the holographic 3d sound of the MIT. The dealer also agrees with my findings who was just sitting beside me while playing some cd's. In our opinion there's no point of changing from MIT to TQ graphitewoohoo!

Thank you for posting your findings, and it's always good to have conformation that your choice stands scrutiny (with another first class cable).

It's that certain something that led me to Cardas......if you ever get a chance to hear Cardas Clear, it sounds like it might also work for you.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

iceman16's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2011
Posts: 660
RE:

Thanks Cno..

Now my priority is upgrading the speakers. Im looking forward to see and hear some speakers at the Bristol Show:)

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE:

iceman16 wrote:

Thanks Cno..

Now my priority is upgrading the speakers. Im looking forward to see and hear some speakers at the Bristol Show:)

Money better spent.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

iceman16's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2011
Posts: 660
RE:

Just uploaded a video..

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qANPLS81c

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

Macspur's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 May 2010
Posts: 1890
RE:

iceman16 wrote:

Thanks Cno..

Now my priority is upgrading the speakers. Im looking forward to see and hear some speakers at the Bristol Show:)

Anything in mind Iceman?

Ah, just reading back, I see your thinking of ProAc/Spendor.

Mac

__________________

Accuphase E350 amp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP CDP, Siltech 25th Classic anniversary 330I  XLR Harbeth Super HL5 on Sound Anchor Quod ELS63 stands, Chord Odessey2 SC.  Grado SR60I headphones.  HIFI RACKS Podium Reference rack.

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE:

Macspur wrote:

Anything in mind Iceman?

Ah, just reading back, I see your thinking of ProAc/Spendor.

Mac

I also think Dynaudio C2 were mentioned, and I threw in Kef Refs, just for good measure.  shifty

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

iceman16's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2011
Posts: 660
RE:

 Before the dealer visited my humble abode he suggested Usher 10be. But I told him that I want to steer clear of metal dome tweeters. And when he arrives and saw my limited space there's no way I could fit them. He also agree that the MIT Avt MA can stand toe to toe with the TQ graphite!Smile

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

iceman16's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2011
Posts: 660
RE: RE:

Macspur]</p> <p>[quote=iceman16 wrote:

Thanks Cno..

Now my priority is upgrading the speakers. Im looking forward to see and hear some speakers at the Bristol Show:)

Anything in mind Iceman?

Ah, just reading back, I see your thinking of ProAc/Spendor.

Mac

[/quote

Mac

Its not so easy for me to choose a speaker due to limited space ATM. I will report back after I visit the Bristol Show.

 

Thanks

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE:

iceman16 wrote:

 Before the dealer visited my humble abode he suggested Usher 10be. But I told him that I want to steer clear of metal dome tweeters. And when he arrives and saw my limited space there's no way I could fit them. He also agree that the MIT Avt MA can stand toe to toe with the TQ graphite!Smile

I know and completely understand where you are coming from.

FWIW. I am fairly familiar with Focal speakers and have used them at my dealers to expose the differences between amps (including the 35i), due to the revealing nature of the treble...........but i always found it quite a relief to get back to my Refs, which (imo) when combined with the 35i, are not forward, tiring or bright. I also think that MIT cable is probably a little similar to Cardas, in that it is detailed and musical, without being strident.

The Refs also have boundary compensation (gives reasonable tailoring of bass / treble) as well as front firing ports,, both of which make placing them easier.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

iceman16's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2011
Posts: 660
RE:

Thanks Cno..

There was a dealer which I have spoken to by phone couple of days ago and he told me that the KEF refs gives 20% discount  if bought new:)

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics

CnoEvil's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11418
RE:

iceman16 wrote:

Thanks Cno..

There was a dealer which I have spoken to by phone couple of days ago and he told me that the KEF refs gives 20% discount  if bought new:)

That's a great deal if you like them, and means nothing if you don't.

I think they are fairly "chameleon like", in the sense that they very much take on the sonic characteristics of the upstream equipment ie They can sound smooth and detailed; punchy and neutral; or indeed a little forward.......and during my experimentation, I witnessed most of these presentations.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

iceman16's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Feb 2011
Posts: 660
RE:

Cno..

reporting for dudy.. lol..Yes been to Bristol Show. Don't know where to start but I was expecting some new stuff to be impressed. Well I missed the 2012 so can't comment. To be fair.. I was'nt impressed at all maybe cause the room acoustics is rubbish!

I have a company with me(my 14 yr old daughter) She is used to my set up playing her fav music which she enjoy. I took her with me. BUT (dad she said ours seems sounds better) . Then we went to Dali -Linn.. dad she told me this is good!

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC 1UP(spider clamp) / Musical Fidelity AMS 35i / Focal Electra 1028be / MIT AVt MA speaker cable-Matrix 12 xlr / Chord powerchord / GIK acoustics