Have your say & ask the experts!

The Linn DS / DSM thread

401 replies [Last post]
Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 424
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

linleyw wrote:

well, the pair of MAjik DSs are here.

when will "plug n play" actually come to mean "plug n play?" - i've been hearing that promise for about 15yrs and it's never come good to date.

 

The problems I'm having - even with dealer remote access to my PC  are....

1) wireless connectivity only - despite everything being Cat6 cabled, ethernet over powerline through Devolo 500s and a (wired) system speed confirmed capability of 1Gbps

2) internal volume off setting and default Majik volume of 50 means even my 60W Rotel amps (albeit worth a bit more than the conservative rating) are ready to shred my speaker bass drivers by 10:30 on the volume clock.

Incidentally, using the Majik internal volume control has a BIG impact on quality, verging on massive impact.

3) Something on my PC is block UpnP connectivity - neither myself nor the Linn dealer (having gone through McAfee etc) can't think what.

My Synology DS412+ 4TB NAS drive comes back at some expense from Russ Andrews on friday. Bearing in mind I can't even access a playlist from my PC at this stage, I forsee yet more frustration ahead.

My "big" amps are off for a service - as it stands I'll be lucky to run the Majiks through them past 8 o clock on the Rotel vol pots.......

On the upside, net radio res/playback is awesome - as long as the Majik internal vol control is off...

Had to buy some ProAc D2s today, those big amps were ready to rip the Elac 310CEs apart.....

Anyone else been through this and found their way to the other side?

For me it was pretty much plug'n'play, sorry to hear it hasn't been a smooth introduction for you.

I'm sure that  you've probably already checked it out, but you'll probably find much more help over on the Linn forum than here. The trouble shooting section is full of helpful tricks and advice, I have found them to be fairly responsive when ever I've had any questions.

1) The DS likes to be on its own sub-net. So if you haven't already done so, run a second switch/router off your primary one & plug the DS into that.

2) What uPNP device are you using? iPad? With Twonky or Minimserve?

3) I used to have the internal vol control disabled when I first started using my DS. But having it on gave me more flexibility when using my iPad. I def did NOT notice any SQ degredation after re-enabling it. This is not right, sounds like a firmware issue, or perhaps a faulty unit?

4) I have heard of some people having less than satisfactory experiences when using their DS wirelessly. Obviously Linn have given this feature and yes it should work, but they do recommend a hard wired connection where possible. I'm wondering if your ethernet over power might be causing issues?

5) I take it that you haven't been using your NAS drive up until this point?

linleyw's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Mar 2013
Posts: 13
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

Thanks Neuphonix - you raise some interesting points.

In reverse order - my NAS drive is on its way back from Russ Andrews ripping service (600CDs!) - chose Synology DS412+ for (touted) ease of integration.

At the moment both Majiks are only operating wirelessly, although before the dealer got involved with remote setup, I had radio through ethernet over powerline.

Windows (printers and devices) can see the Majiks, but Konfig and/or the install CD cannot.

Choosing "play through Linn..." from Windows returns "unknown device error"

The Majiks (via Kinsky on iPhone & iPad) can see my Windows music library but will not play it, with the Majik display just sticking on uPNP - although bizarrely FLAC files on my desktop DO play!

I will look into a sub net and indeed check the Linn.co.uk forums

Appreciate your input...

__________________

lw

Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 424
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

I use a Mac, so not hugely PC friendly.

What uPNP server are you using on the PC? Twonky? Or have you installed songcast?

CD ripping service? Was that expensive? I'm just over halfway through my collection at the moment.

linleyw's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Mar 2013
Posts: 13
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

Songcast.....

Russ Andrews charged me £50 collect and return for 600CDs and 60p a CD. They also configured the 4TB Synology DS412+ NAS drive for me (including changing a bad seagate HDD at cost - £60) that I'd bought on Amazon, so - for the sake of getting it done properly - I didn't think that overly expensive.

Lol, of course, once we'd got chatting, they levered (let me think) about £1000 out of me for Kimber 8VS cable (2 x 2.5m pairs and 2 x 4.5m pairs), another £160 for 4 x springclip adapter pairs and £500 odd for 2 pairs of Kimber silver streak interconnects.

Oooooo I hadn't tallied it up til spelling it out herein - best not think about it too hard shocked

On top of that, fit of madness, I've acquired a Rotel RA-1312 monster integrated amp, plus a Rotel RA-2030 Class AB, early LED indicator rather than VU meter integrated amp, rated at 85 and 100WPC respectively (though they punch MUCH harder than that) to go under my pair of Rotel RA-913s. The "new" amps are keen to rip the guts out of my ELAC 310CE bookshelfs, so ProAc D2s on their way.

Still, I've got my Classik Musik (which the Majik DSs are replacing) - what a wonderful trouble-free box that was (no irony), a pair of Naim N-SATS (what a dull pair of speakers THEY were), the ELACs will have to go too - 2 pairs of 310Jets (one with the late Crystal Edition drivers), all on the Bay.

Sitting on a mint and original Technics SL1100 turntable (SL1200s antecedent) as well as a SL1200 MkII - but the 1100 has to be a keeper - v rare in this condition.

Some progress today - Kinsky is working on iPad and Iphone, so I've access to rips as well as radio now, albeit without Kinsky functionality on my PC - still working on it.

The NAS drive arrives tomorrow........we'll see.

Have to say, running through the vintage kit, sounds great - clarity and accuracy of the modern source through the depth and soul of the 70s amps.

I'll be biamping the speakers next, the 60WPC Rotels sitting on top of the 85/100WPC ones - will look frankly ridiculous but will hopefully sound wonderful. Can't leave it all sat in a cupboard.

My exercise has managed to clarify one point for anyone else considering combining Sneaky/Majik/Akurate/Klimax with old transistor amps - Line Out on the Linn is 80 Gain, so it IS necessary to use the Linn internal volume control, or suffer very limited volume control (meaning a choice of Loud/Extra Loud/Uncomfortably loud/Blown speakers in about 20dB increments)

can "one" post pics on this forum?

 

__________________

lw

Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 424
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

OK, so you should install Songcast on your PC. You can find it for free in the software download section on the Linn site.

It is basically a plug-in that allows you to send music from your PC to the DS. I'd say that this should fix your PC to DS problem, as long as the DS is actually being picked up on the network. Did you say you could see it via Konfig on the PC?

There is also a set-up wizard there which might help. I didn't need to use it so can't say what features it offers, but could be worth exploring.

Once you get your NAS back you will have to have some sort of media server software on it. Twonky is probably the most well known and possibly will already be installed. This allows Kinsky to interface with your music collection.

I recently swapped over to Minimserv (had to install it on the NAS myself) & find it to be quite a bit better. This is also available in the software section on Linn. Again there's stacks of info over on the linn forums, the guy who wrote is Simon is on there all the time answering questions.

Thats interesting about the gain on the line output. You say that having the DS volume control enabled has a detrimental impact on SQ? Can youthink of any way around this issue?

As I said initially I was controlling volume via the amp only. But as Ive started accessing mymusic via the ipad having the ability to control/mute via kinsky is very helpful.

linleyw's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Mar 2013
Posts: 13
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

yes, I have songcast installed already, although as to functionality, nossosure...

Konfig and Wizard cannot yet see my devices, so assetupnp and radio are via iPad only for now - whixh i find acceptable - I'm not bothered (atm) about queueing music/source in another room from my PC when I can do that from my tablet/phone

When I first set up the DS on the test files I was v impressed by the quality and FELT there was a SQ compromise using internal volume. I suspect that this (perceived, perhaps real) compromise will become acceptable in time - as you say, it is very convenient to be able to adjust the local/remote volume by tablet/phone.

Overall I'm pleased with the potential I'm seeing...

__________________

lw

Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 424
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

Are you able to try plugging your DS directly into the router or PC with a long RJ45 Cat6 patch lead? Just to see if you can by-pass the network entirely. Would be nice to narrow it down & see if the ethernet over power is causing the problem.

You would think that possible the impact on SQ might have been more to do with your amp driving the speakers too hard?

linleyw's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Mar 2013
Posts: 13
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

not the amp - was keeping that down! Linn expressed that line out gain is set at +80, or in other words everything is optimised at vol 80. They were not surprised that at 95+ things started to break up. I still don;t understand, but hey ho, that's the explanation.

 

after many hours of fiddling and checking (thanks to Jon Nelson of Ripcaster, the Majiks supplier, went above and beyond) we did indeed trace ALL the issues back to Devolo homeplugs. To be fair to Devolo, I'm led to believe that their 200 products are bullet proof and absolutely stable, even when connected through extension blocks. Trying to  stay one step ahead I bought the 500AV+ model, which is (I'm told) slightly ahead of the rest of the market (and possibly a few firmware updates yet from perfect).

Anyway, I installed the latest firmware, rebooted each homeplug in distance order from the home hub, making sure each critical device (ie hub, NAS, Majik, PC etc.) is plugged through the homeplug straight into a wallsocket (not extension) and all is now well!

Must say, very happy with the quality and reproduction.

Sold my Naim n-SATS speakers on the bay yesterday - chap who collected them was green with envy when he saw the set up - he had chosen the unitiqute instead Smile

Hope my learning curve (esp. homeplugs) might save someone else a few hours!

__________________

lw

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11414
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

linleyw wrote:

after many hours of fiddling and checking (thanks to Jon Nelson of Ripcaster), the Majiks supplier, went above and beyond) we did indeed trace ALL the issues back to Devolo homeplugs. To be fair to Devolo, I'm led to believe that their 200 products are bullet proof and absolutely stable, even when connected through extension blocks. Trying to  stay one step ahead I bought the 500AV+ model, which is (I'm told) slightly ahead of the rest of the market (and possibly a few firmware updates yet from perfect).

Anyway, I installed the latest firmware, rebooted each homeplug in distance order from the home hub, making sure each critical device (ie hub, NAS, Majik, PC etc.) is plugged through the homeplug straight into a wallsocket (not extension) and all is now well!

Must say, very happy with the quality and reproduction.

Sold my Naim n-SATS speakers on the bay yesterday - chap who collected them was green with envy when he saw the set up - he had chosen the unitiqute instead Smile

Hope my learning curve (esp. homeplugs) might save someone else a few hours!

I'm glad you are on the home straight...........and Ripcaster are great.

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

Neuphonix's picture
Offline
Joined: 20 Apr 2012
Posts: 424
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

linleyw wrote:

not the amp - was keeping that down! Linn expressed that line out gain is set at +80, or in other words everything is optimised at vol 80. They were not surprised that at 95+ things started to break up. I still don;t understand, but hey ho, that's the explanation.

 

after many hours of fiddling and checking (thanks to Jon Nelson of Ripcaster, the Majiks supplier, went above and beyond) we did indeed trace ALL the issues back to Devolo homeplugs. To be fair to Devolo, I'm led to believe that their 200 products are bullet proof and absolutely stable, even when connected through extension blocks. Trying to  stay one step ahead I bought the 500AV+ model, which is (I'm told) slightly ahead of the rest of the market (and possibly a few firmware updates yet from perfect).

Anyway, I installed the latest firmware, rebooted each homeplug in distance order from the home hub, making sure each critical device (ie hub, NAS, Majik, PC etc.) is plugged through the homeplug straight into a wallsocket (not extension) and all is now well!

Must say, very happy with the quality and reproduction.

Sold my Naim n-SATS speakers on the bay yesterday - chap who collected them was green with envy when he saw the set up - he had chosen the unitiqute instead Smile

Hope my learning curve (esp. homeplugs) might save someone else a few hours!

Congratulations, welcome to the club.

Cno will outline the secret induction process  beauty, eh

Enjoy Smile

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11414
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

Neuphonix wrote:

Cno will outline the secret induction process........

......for a fee, of course.  ohhh sure

 

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

linleyw's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Mar 2013
Posts: 13
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

lol - a fee?

of course, as a Linn owner I should've seen that coming!

__________________

lw

linleyw's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Mar 2013
Posts: 13
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

quick update...

everything settled down as it should

delighted with the output.....to the degree I've extended my Zappa catalogue now I can REALLY hear what he had in mind... (I'm not QUITE as old as that makes me sound)

 

...and oredered a second pair of ProAc Response D2s.

 

beginning to think my arcam (P90/A90 Diva) based system with 5-way ELAC speakers is now redundant. I'll have to hang on to it for vinyl i guess....

 

Props to Jon Nelson at RipCaster, helped me to this point.

 

Another v. happy Linn customer (over 10yrs now - my Classik has exceeded its reserve on FleaBay, so it's going :(  )

 

__________________

lw

CnoEvil's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Aug 2009
Posts: 11414
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

linleyw wrote:

quick update...

everything settled down as it should

delighted with the output.....to the degree I've extended my Zappa catalogue now I can REALLY hear what he had in mind... (I'm not QUITE as old as that makes me sound)

 

...and oredered a second pair of ProAc Response D2s.

 

beginning to think my arcam (P90/A90 Diva) based system with 5-way ELAC speakers is now redundant. I'll have to hang on to it for vinyl i guess....

 

Props to Jon Nelson at RipCaster, helped me to this point.

 

Another v. happy Linn customer (over 10yrs now - my Classik has exceeded its reserve on FleaBay, so it's going :(  )

 

It's good to see another happy owner. party time!

__________________

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

linleyw's picture
Offline
Joined: 1 Mar 2013
Posts: 13
RE: The Linn DS / DSM thread

i hope i didn't speak too soon

Cry

now here's the thing, difficult to be sure because (DS) there is no way of hooking them direct to speakers.....

Both DSs sound "thin" all of a sudden. The first one (Kitchen/Diner) I noticed wasn't driving the (bookshelf) speakers as hard (at the same volume as prior experience) as I recalled, but I figured must just be subjective.

Then yesterday afternoon I was listening to the other (Study) at about 60 on internal DS volume and 12noon on my power amp volume knob and all of a sudden some "body" dropped out of the music as well as (i guess) 5-10dB of volume. It was instantly noticeable.

Of course it's tempting to blame the amps as they are driving the speakers, but given both amps are identical, good quality and have just been thoroughly serviced, I can't help wonder if it's the DSs sending a weaker signal for some reason.

Anyone experienced similar symptoms or able to offer a theory?

Other niggles - Asset UPnP keeps "losing" 8000 or so tracks and needs to be refreshed every couple of days accordingly and Kinsky/Asset will pause mid-track a couple of times a day (as if buffering - but it's hardwired), sometimes picking up where it left off after 10secs./30secs/1 minute but sometimes not at all. Any ideas?

Oh, apologies for my made up tech. terminology. At least I haven't resorted to abuse of the word "clinical" yet Wink

 

__________________

lw