Have your say & ask the experts!

The Latest Purchase - Onkyo TX-NR818

237 replies [Last post]
the record spot's picture
RE: The Latest Purchase - Onkyo TX-NR818

matthewpiano wrote:

Well, Record Spot has been around here for a long time and I've come to know that he does actually have high expectations of the sound of his equipment.  He also takes a very common sense approach in that he tries to balance sound quality with his real world needs, and bases his opinion on his own experience.

Everybody's opinion is valid, but an opinion about a specific product really should be based on experience of that specific product.  One of the biggest problems in the hi-fi world is that there are too many generalisations - seperates are better than all-in-ones, AV receivers aren't very good for music etc. etc.  Maybe it is time to look past these generalisations and be open to the occasional surprise.

Thanks Matthew, that pretty much sums it up for me. 

I tired of standard integrated amps as a serious new option ages ago.  Good though many are, they don't deliver whatever functionality I need anymore.  I loved the Sansui AU-717, and the hobby amps I picked up recently off Ebay (Sony TA-F630 ESD and the Harman HK6850) are big beasts, the former came with a DAC too, so it was getting there, but there just picked up for fun and not serious long term answers.

The Onkyo 8050 does a huge amount but the reality is that it's a hybrid AV amp that just focuses on the music and networking.  Performance is, however, as good as I always said it was but the 818 does indeed - as our friend appears to have completely missed - offer me significantly more.  And it still deliverfs on sound quality. Better than the 8050 too I might add.  (Shock, horror, etc!)

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

rendu wrote:

Just by coincidence last week I run into your original post on the 8050. It sounded so good that I actually started to consider the possibility to get one myself to add to my current AVR setting to try to get real stereo sound. It really sounded like you were very happy with it. Now when I see that you changed to an AV receiver, I must say that I am a bit puzzled, specially when this receiver does not offer any additional functionality and you are not going to use it for home cinema. AVRs are not designed to deliver the best musical experience.

Au contraire, but the 818 offers significantly more than the 8050 offers: I can bi-amp my speakers now, there's a function to play around with crossover settings, it streams DSD direct, it offers me Dolby hi-res audio functionality, plus, as previously highlighted a pile of others including THX.  It gives me additional digital inputs (three optical,  three coaxial, two USB, and eight HDMI sockets) which I will use. It gives me a good display on my TV so I can access the networking functions more easily, it gives me additional power and has been designed to focus on music or audio as well as video. 

Your last sentence about AVRs not being designed to deliver the best musical experience I couldn't say.  I have owned one, this one and it deliver a very fine, refined and deeply impressive and immersive one.  I wouldn't expect anyone to rush out and buy it on that say-so alone though.

rendu wrote:

I have been struglling since 15 years to try to get good stereo sound from various AVRs (5 in total) and I am at the point that I give up. This is why I was considering the possibility to add the 8050 to my current Yamaha A2010.

Now that I see that you have replaced with an AVR, it really make me hessitant about the 8050, specially if you say that you like the AVR better than the 8050. This means that we definetly are not looking for the same type of stereo sound and have totally different level of expectations when it comes to pure musical performance. I will have to continue seeking for a solution. Hope you enjoy your new toy.

My new "toy" is fine, thanks.  My expectations are high, which is why I haven't bothered with many an AV amp till now.  I'm delighted with my choice - it delivers.  Was listening to the Beatles mono-masters off my external hard drive last night and I didn't even think about the stereo, just enjoyed album after album after album.  All boxes ticked I think. 

You carry on seeking; I didn't buy any of this stuff to provide a solution for anyone else. 

rendu's picture

Fist of all, let me remind you that we are no friends, so please avoid comments such as "our friend has missed the point".

I know very well what are the features of modern AVRs.  Tons of features which are completely redundant for serious hi-fi listening if the amp did well what it had to do.  I personaly would prefer that the amp had enough quality in stereo than have the need to bi-amp anything or to play with crossover settings or equalizer settings like mine has.  8 HDMI input to listen in stereo?  2 channel THX?¿?  Well, I am not going to question that if you need it, you need it.....

I honestly do not care why you have purchased it or what you are going to do with it but, I do care where I spend my mone and I believe that we have to be very careful before we recommned a product with a lot of passion.  My only intention here was to find out whether the 8050 could be a real improvement for music over a 1000 pound AVR and it seems that it is not the case.  Simple as that.

About other comments regarding opinions, I do not think that I ever gave any opinion in particular about the 8050 or about the 818.  In any case, nobody here is qualified to tell others when they can give or not give opions or about what.  I encourage anybody to feel free and do not let anybody dictate what they can say or not say, or when they can say (except moderators of course).  Sharing our experiences/opnions is one of the purpose of this forum and the only limit is RESPECT. 

Again, hope you enjoy your toy just like i enjoy mine.  Mine even has more lights, buttons, holes in the back and playgroud features than yours but, sound, good sound, real good stereo sound...... thant´s another story.

Onkyo 818, Dali Ikon 1, Dali suite C0.7, Wharfedale DFS and Wharfedale SW150.  Synology 112J NAS with 2 TB WD red HD.  PS3 slim. Harmony 600, Optoma HD65 proyector.

Sonic impact T-amp with Whafedale 9SR.

rendu wrote:

Fist of all, let me remind you that we are no friends, so please avoid comments such as "our friend has missed the point".

This I know, but it was really a courtesy.  However, all things considered now, it reads a hell of a lot better than "that eejit above".  Maybe I should be less courteous in future.  You be the judge...

rendu wrote:

I know very well what are the features of modern AVRs. 

I don't recall asking you if you did.  I was stating my rationale for buying the 818.  Which bit of me buying this thing is difficult for you to get to grips with Rendu?  

rendu wrote:

Tons of features which are completely redundant for serious hi-fi listening if the amp did well what it had to do.  I personaly would prefer that the amp had enough quality in stereo than have the need to bi-amp anything or to play with crossover settings or equalizer settings like mine has.  8 HDMI input to listen in stereo?  2 channel THX?¿?  Well, I am not going to question that if you need it, you need it.....

I personally believe, having used both the 8050 and the 818 as well as other, aherm, "serious" hifi amps (what do statements like this mean, really?), that both do "hifi" well.  Personally, I rather prefer to think that they do music well.  Things like "serious hifi listening" just make me think of sitting there listening to the equipment and/or for fault.  Gave that game up years ago.  As for the other features inherent in the amp, well, I've only just received it, so I've a lot to learn about using the other functionality available.  I'll make my own choices about what I use with which feature.  Your dismissive remarks just show up your ignorance.  Thankfully, that's your problem too.  One I'm happy to leave you with.

rendu wrote:

I honestly do not care why you have purchased it or what you are going to do with it but, I do care where I spend my mone and I believe that we have to be very careful before we recommned a product with a lot of passion.  My only intention here was to find out whether the 8050 could be a real improvement for music over a 1000 pound AVR and it seems that it is not the case.  Simple as that.

Where you spend your money's not my issue.  Why bother buying 5 AV amps and not a good stereo one if the AV disappoint you so much would be my only question...but that's your problem too really.  Seems like a simple solution to me and not one that needed 5 AV amps to work it out on. 

Please don't lecture me about "recommending a product with passion".  Mine is based on experience with the 818 and the 8050, what's yours on?  Not these two that's for sure, so don't sit there and discount them based on some half-baked dealer-speak about AV amps not being good enough for music.  What bo***ks.  A bunch of other AV amps you've had and some God-awful purist thinking?   Sorry, but that's a non-starter.  

I'd recommend this amp at the drop of a hat, especially if you have multiple sources, and want form as well as function.  If you hang around long enough, you'll see it happening over and over, so get used to it.  

Onkyo does this kind of amp very well.  To answer your question, you need to spend time listening to them than letting your misguided objections and apparent passion for running my own experiences down along the way.  You'll get more time from me for the former and less grief for the latter, and with it, respect. Simple as that

rendu wrote:

About other comments regarding opinions, I do not think that I ever gave any opinion in particular about the 8050 or about the 818.  In any case, nobody here is qualified to tell others when they can give or not give opions or about what.  I encourage anybody to feel free and do not let anybody dictate what they can say or not say, or when they can say (except moderators of course).  Sharing our experiences/opnions is one of the purpose of this forum and the only limit is RESPECT. 

Me too, I think you can comment to your heart's content, just don't try and make out you know better, or give me some purist's nonsense that the 8050 oro the 818 can't be up there with traditional stereo amps.  That bus left a long time ago.  Oh and show respect and you'll get it back.  

rendu wrote:

Again, hope you enjoy your toy just like i enjoy mine.  Mine even has more lights, buttons, holes in the back and playgroud features than yours but, sound, good sound, real good stereo sound...... thant´s another story.

Well, that's your problem, mine doesn't have flashing lights, in fact, the exterior is very minimalistic, but it does do  great sound quality.  And that suits me fine.

Paul. wrote:

Did any of that need to be said?  Not to mention that if you have not heared the 8050 and the 818 your opinion is worthless...

Well, indeed, or at least, to discount my view based on my own experience, but then spouts off some nonsense about AV amps not amps not being up to the job.  Well, maybe once upon a time, but this amp proves there's at least one AV amp out there that can deliver.  

I just tire of some of the nonsense that some audiophiles spout; it's almost like a depressing mantra that gets pushed out there as "fact" when it's just a tired opinion that doesn't hold up anymore.  People rightly are more questioning of some of this stuff. 

rendu's picture

So, you are the one who found the only AVR receiver that is wonderful  with music, eh?  Right.  Aleluya!

I have spent already too much energy today on this non-sense post and I am not going to accept anybody continue insulting me anymore calling me idiot or ingnorant.  It seems that after several attempts it has been impossible to clarify the reason for my post and my original interest in the 8050.  You can keep your false courtesy for yourself like the rest of your advises, to me your credibility is gone.  I definetly do not own you any additional explanations and I could not care less about what you do with your AVR.  You  can use it to make toasts if you like, I am sure that you will manage same as you will manage to get the THX experience with your 2 channels, right? 

Onkyo 818, Dali Ikon 1, Dali suite C0.7, Wharfedale DFS and Wharfedale SW150.  Synology 112J NAS with 2 TB WD red HD.  PS3 slim. Harmony 600, Optoma HD65 proyector.

Sonic impact T-amp with Whafedale 9SR.

GMK
GMK's picture

TRS, how do the speakers sound biamped in comparison?

Overdose's picture

Blimey!

If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought someone would have mentioned AVI speakers in this thread to get this response.

excellent!

Mac mini > AVI ADM9Ts

matthewpiano's picture

the record spot wrote:

I just tire of some of the nonsense that some audiophiles spout; it's almost like a depressing mantra that gets pushed out there as "fact" when it's just a tired opinion that doesn't hold up anymore.  People rightly are more questioning of some of this stuff. 

Couldn't agree more RS.  It is all getting a bit old.

Sources: Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Roksan Kandy K2 CDS Phono Stage Cambridge Audio 540P

Amplification: Exposure 1010

Speakers: Dynaudio DM2/6  Stands: Atacama Nexus 6 + Blok 300

Cables: Chord Co. and Merlin

Head-Fi System: PC/Spotify Premium - NAD C521BEE - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennhesier HD595

Listening to MUSIC!

rendu wrote:

So, you are the one who found the only AVR receiver that is wonderful  with music, eh?  Right.  Aleluya!

LOL, I don't think I said that.  Try reading again and then understanding the inference.  

rendu wrote:

I have spent already too much energy today on this non-sense post

...says the guy who created a post that stated he wasn't going to buy the 8050 because someone else decided to buy another the NR818 having previously owned the 8050 and as a result of his own misguided prejudice about AV amps, having previously been idiotic enough to have bought five of them and still not managed to get one sounding good, decides not to buy the 8050.  

I think that sums your position up.  You were saying about nonsense posts...?

rendu wrote:

...and I am not going to accept anybody continue insulting me anymore calling me idiot or ingnorant. 

Then don't come onto this thread like the big "I am" and acting like you know it all.  You chose to to behave as you did, express yourself as you did and as far as I'm concerned, you reap what you sow,

rendu wrote:

It seems that after several attempts it has been impossible to clarify the reason for my post and my original interest in the 8050. 

You were thinking about buying the 8050 when you read my thread on it. You read this thread and now doubt the 8050 because we might have different requirements about what constitutes good sound, therefore you won't buy the 8050 because traditionally AV amps have had poorer sound quality.   I mean, you haven't even gone to the bother of finding out for yourself...?!  #screwy

rendu wrote:

You can keep your false courtesy for yourself like the rest of your advises, to me your credibility is gone. 

Like I care; count the tears ducky...

rendu wrote:

I definetly do not own you any additional explanations and I could not care less about what you do with your AVR.  You  can use it to make toasts if you like, I am sure that you will manage same as you will manage to get the THX experience with your 2 channels, right? 

I wasn't asking for any additional explanations.  Your exhibition of yourself todate has been worth the price of entry alone.  I'm rather glad you don't care what I do with my amp, but, fortunately, I do, and that's what counts.  

Hmmm, I don't recall saying that my two speakers would give me the benefits of multichannel, which of course THX and the various other formats offer.  Why would you assume that?   Are you over-tired...?    lol

GMK wrote:

TRS, how do the speakers sound biamped in comparison?

Just need to get some new cable mate - probably at the weekend.  Might order some off Ebay though - another trip to Digitalis Direct is in order methinks...!

andybeau's picture

Overdose wrote:

Blimey!

If I didn't know any better, I'd have thought someone would have mentioned AVI speakers in this thread to get this response.

excellent!

LMAO good job

Rega Brio R, Inspire Quest Rega TT c/w Clearaudio Concept MM, Rega TTPSU, Marrantz CD6004, MA BX2, MF V-Can II, HRT Streamer2, Acer Aspire 1(Win7 Starter), AKG K451, AKG K550, SoundMAGIC HP100

Yamaha RXV671, Sony BDPS370, Xbox360, Samsung UE37E6300, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1, CM10.1, 8.1 SW150

matthewpiano wrote:

the record spot wrote:

Couldn't agree more RS.  It is all getting a bit old.

For sure Matthew, it does my head in.  Once upon a time, it probably held true, but in recent years, the manufacturers have upped their game with regard to music.  The 8050 does a great job, but I'm deeply impressed with the 818 in Pure Audio mode.  I'm listening to Madeline Peyroux's "Careless Love" album and it's just excellent.  Very high quality audio and I'd recommend this amp if someone likes a refined, detailed and crystal clear (but not bright) presentation that oozes atmosphere.  I've been got slap-bang in the sweet spot.   Smile  

Overdose wrote:

Blimey!

excellent!

Hahaha, good one!  Oi you...!   Smile

matt49's picture

the record spot wrote:

I personally believe, hAVIng used both the 8050 and the 818 as well as other, aherm, "serious" hifi amps (what do statements like this mean, really?), that both do "hifi" well. 

Overdose, your instinct was correct. It's a subliminal thing.  excellent!