Have your say & ask the experts!

The Latest Purchase - Onkyo TX-NR818

237 replies [Last post]
RE: The Latest Purchase - Onkyo TX-NR818

the record spot wrote:

It's here...and blimey it's big!

What's the going rate for crane hire these days? Wink

Pleased you're happy with the new arrival.

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin

the record spot's picture

£15.99 for a DSD courier driver as it happens!

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

Blackdawn's picture

steve_1979 wrote:

Blackdawn wrote:

Watch you don't blow the little Tannoys up! Wink

An underpowered amplifier that's clipping is more likely to damage your speakers than a more powerful amplifier that's not clipping.

Was kind of joking but I'm sure you could cause damage to speakers driving them with a massive amplifier at very high volumes

HiFi- Cambridge Audio 340C- Pioneer A30- Dali Lektor 2 speakers. Denon FM/AM. Pure DAB. 

Marantz CD6004 - Beyerdynamic DT250

The Tannoy DC4 is rated as taking amps from 20-120w. The 818 is rated at 135w and probably a tad more on top.  Unless I really thrashed the 818 and left it at sustained high volume for extensive periods, the greater risk is from low powered amps doing the same. Put it this way I wouldn't be using the 8w Eastern Electric Minimax, nice little amp though it is.

Paul.'s picture

19kg?  Light weight!  Mines 23kg Wink. Looks ace though, would love one of these.  Wonder how long untill my amp blows up...

Paul's system thread

(where the photos live) Paul's Flickr page

Haha, yes, I went for the slimmed down version!

rendu's picture

the record spot wrote:

So, here we are a few hours in, but very quickly realised that this amp is a bit of a keeper.  Build quality is impressive, much better in real life than the photos give lie to.  Sound quality is excellent; Spotify, CD, movies, TV, they all tick the boxes for me.  This is my first AV amp proper, but as they go, it's a pretty impressive one to start off on.  A very refined amp, that copes with pretty much anything that's been thrown at it so far and - most importantly - as good as any stereo amp I've heard in doing so.

For the money at its original price of £1000 this amp was a winner, now that the latest Onkyo AV range is out, the discount this amp is going for makes it a no-brainer.  Lack of Airplay support might be an issue for some, but in real terms for me, this is a minor issue.  There's enough going on with this amp in its streaming features to make it easy to overlook the Apple functionality.  In any case, my ATV3 offers it as standard.  This amp should be staying in situ for a good few years now and I think I can say that I'm finally happy with the setup!  

Just by coincidence last week I run into your original post on the 8050. It sounded so good that I actually started to consider the possibility to get one myself to add to my current AVR setting to try to get real stereo sound. It really sounded like you were very happy with it. Now when I see that you changed to an AV receiver, I must say that I am a bit puzzled, specially when this receiver does not offer any additional functionality and you are not going to use it for home cinema. AVRs are not designed to deliver the best musical experience.

I have been struglling since 15 years to try to get good stereo sound from various AVRs (5 in total) and I am at the point that I give up. This is why I was considering the possibility to add the 8050 to my current Yamaha A2010.

Now that I see that you have replaced with an AVR, it really make me hessitant about the 8050, specially if you say that you like the AVR better than the 8050. This means that we definetly are not looking for the same type of stereo sound and have totally different level of expectations when it comes to pure musical performance. I will have to continue seeking for a solution. Hope you enjoy your new toy.

Onkyo 818, Dali Ikon 1, Dali suite C0.7, Wharfedale DFS and Wharfedale SW150.  Synology 112J NAS with 2 TB WD red HD.  PS3 slim. Harmony 600, Optoma HD65 proyector.

Sonic impact T-amp with Whafedale 9SR.

Paul.'s picture

Did any of that need to be said?  Not to mention that if you have not heared the 8050 and the 818 your opinion is worthless...

Paul's system thread

rendu's picture

Paul. wrote:

Did any of that need to be said?  Not to mention that if you have not heared the 8050 and the 818 your opinion is worthless...

Your post instead is very constructive and has a lot of value.  Detinetly an example of respect to someone else´s opinion.  I take note and I will not give any opinion again until I go to the nearest shop and listen to all the equipment of everybody first.

Onkyo 818, Dali Ikon 1, Dali suite C0.7, Wharfedale DFS and Wharfedale SW150.  Synology 112J NAS with 2 TB WD red HD.  PS3 slim. Harmony 600, Optoma HD65 proyector.

manicm's picture

RecordSpot, so to summarise:

You're using your amp in stereo mode. And you'll connect your Blu-ray player through HDMI or optical/coaxial, or analog stereo?

Does the amp downmix to stereo through HDMI? (Sorry this will depend on the player too).

Arcam Solo Mini/Monitor Audio RX1/Cambridge Audio 751BD/Samsung 37” LCD

Paul.'s picture

rendu wrote:

Paul. wrote:

Your post instead is very constructive and has a lot of value.  Detinetly an example of respect to someone else´s opinion.  I take note and I will not give any opinion again until I go to the nearest shop and listen to all the equipment of everybody first.

Boiling down your post, the points you made were basically as follows:

1) I was considering buying amp number 1 that I had not heared because you like it.

2) You prefer Amp number 2 that I have not heared so now I reject your opinion on Amp number 1.

3)Because you like Amp number 2 that I have not heared, I must have a higher expectation of sound than you.

Is it not possible that the 8050 is a good amp?  Is it not possible that the 818 is better or equal in terms of SQ?  I don't know, I haven't heard them, but I would not forge an opinion without hearing them.

Paul's system thread

rendu's picture

Please show some respect to other people's opinion.  You can agree or disagree with me and I will be happy to discuss but do not tell me that my opinion is worthless only because it does not seem to meet your criteria for a valid opinion.  After 5 AVRs of all brands, I have heard enough AVRs to have a strong opinion about some of the general features commonly known for AVRs.  There are tons of ink written out there about the SQ of AVR receivers in terms of music reproduction compared to dedicated stereo amps. 

rendu's picture

Hey!  Maybe you need to tell this guy in the article that he needs to listen ALL the AVRs before giving such opinion, eh?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20082026-47/how-can-30-year-old-receivers-sound-better-than-new-ones/

matthewpiano's picture

Well, Record Spot has been around here for a long time and I've come to know that he does actually have high expectations of the sound of his equipment.  He also takes a very common sense approach in that he tries to balance sound quality with his real world needs, and bases his opinion on his own experience.

Everybody's opinion is valid, but an opinion about a specific product really should be based on experience of that specific product.  One of the biggest problems in the hi-fi world is that there are too many generalisations - seperates are better than all-in-ones, AV receivers aren't very good for music etc. etc.  Maybe it is time to look past these generalisations and be open to the occasional surprise.

Sources: Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Roksan Kandy K2 CDS Phono Stage Cambridge Audio 540P

Amplification: Exposure 1010

Speakers: Dynaudio DM2/6  Stands: Atacama Nexus 6 + Blok 300

Cables: Chord Co. and Merlin

Head-Fi System: PC/Qobuz Hi-Fi - NAD C521BEE - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennhesier HD595

Listening to MUSIC!

manicm wrote:

RecordSpot, so to summarise:

You're using your amp in stereo mode. And you'll connect your Blu-ray player through HDMI or optical/coaxial, or analog stereo?

Does the amp downmix to stereo through HDMI? (Sorry this will depend on the player too).

That's pretty much it - I use the amp in stereo mode, all the source gear is hooked up via HDMI and no analogue connections anywhere except for my Marantz CD player.  You can select whichever sound option you like really on the amp - so for TV, I use "Direct", for the PS3, I use 2 Ch Stereo, for the CDP "Pure Audio", which bypasses everything and the same for the NET functionality, so Spotify, Aupeo, Last.fm, etc, etc.  It's very flexible but delivers on the sound quality score (and more of that little nugget later...!).  Pure Audio is my preference but you sometimes need to see a readout on the display, hence why I don't use it across the board, that said, the difference is noticeable which is why for music it's always on.

In terms of sound option, there's the various Dolby hi-res (True HD, Master, etc), THX certification, Pro-Logic, and a pile of others.  I'm guessing there's about 15 and probably more to choose from.  They didn't include a manual as such (it's on CD ROM) but the Onkyo site has it and I downloaded the 100 page PDF yesterday.  A bit of light reading then...