Have your say & ask the experts!

The Latest Purchase - Onkyo TX-NR818

237 replies [Last post]
matt49's picture
RE: The Latest Purchase - Onkyo TX-NR818

the record spot wrote:

Actually, the sound quality's excellent - the 8050's as good as any amp I've owned, is probably the most powerful and the same will likely apply to the 818.  Form and functionality in one.  I don't see the losing out argument compared to a bog standard integrated that's underpowered and doesn't have the means to cope with how entertainment is delivered in the home these days.

I agree entirely. One powerful and fine-sounding box that does so many things is the way to go. Hence my post about the back of the box: the more sources you can pull together, the better.

Blackdawn's picture

Watch you don't blow the little Tannoys up! Wink

HiFi- Cambridge Audio 340C- Pioneer A30- Dali Lektor 2 speakers. Denon FM/AM. Pure DAB. 

Marantz CD6004 - Beyerdynamic DT250

the record spot's picture

They'll be fine - can take 120w, so the 135w of the Onkyo won't be an issue!  They're never driven hard anyway as I have neighbours to consider.

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

BenLaw's picture

the record spot wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

Ah right, it includes 3 amps! What will your source be if you get rid of the denon? And does the onkyo have AirPlay to allow you to get rid of the ATV?

The ATV's a keeper, and is so small as to be unobtrusive, plus I like the simplicity and integration with the rest of the Apple stuff I use.  Onkyo doesn't provide Airplay support, but that's not a biggie for me; their network connectivity offering is excellent, they offer vTuner and Aupeo as standard, Spotify onboard, and various other bits and pieces.  It has an Apple app, so I can play from my Touch as a remote, or I can hook it up to the USB fascia and run it off via the Onkyo's handset.  

My source for CDs will be the Marantz SA7001-KI I've had for about five years now and which is as good as anything out there.  The rest will be via the TV for movies/other streaming, or the Panasonic Blu-Ray player or my PS3.  However, with the additional HDMI inputs, the last two will go direct into the Onkyo and bypass the TV.  

I think Chebby would still see some room for component trimming there, given that you contemplate still having three disc spinners  excellent!

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

cheyworth's picture

How long before the center speaker makes an apperance?

Well it doesn't take up that much space sat under the TV.

then a pair of surrounds.....a sub.....rear channels......

party time!

Source: Bryston BCD-1, Marantz NA7004 &BD5005. Project RPM4/2M RED, speed box.

Amplification: Leema Tucana II, Onkyo TX-NR818 A/V only, Arcam P7.

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL300, GS-LCR, GS-W12, GS-FX, Silver FXi.

TV: LG 50PK350/Sky HD.

Cables: Atlas Navigator XLR, Van Del Hul, Chord. Also: Little Dot mk V

KidKomet's picture

I've got the 616, really wish I'd held out a couple months for the 818 discount. You live, you learn.

Hi-res audio through the amps Pure Audio setting is just sublime. I imagine it'll be even better through your setup, I'm tempted trade mine in now!

A Gazelle can jump higher than the average house. This is largely due to the fact that the average house can not jump.

cheyworth wrote:

How long before the center speaker makes an apperance?

Well it doesn't take up that much space sat under the TV.

then a pair of surrounds.....a sub.....rear channels......

party time!

Ah, not going to be going down the centre or satellite speaker route.  Never been interested in all that, and well placed stereo speakers will give you as good a centre image anyway really.  So, pretty happy to stick with what I have just now.  A sub's not needed in my living space, ample bass from the DC4 in my room.

DIB
DIB's picture

When I briefly had a TX-8050, one thing that really irked me was when listening to internet radio (eg. Radio Paradise) was that it did  not give out track information (artist, title etc.) unlike the Marantz MCR603 for example. I wonder whether the TX-NR818 will?

Creek Evolution 5350 amp with Sequel 40 phonostage -  Creek Evolution 2 CDP - Squeezebox Touch 

Pro-Ject 2-Xperience Classic Acryl with 2M Blue

Epos Elan 30s - Van Damme SC & Epiphany Atratus ICs

steve_1979's picture

Blackdawn wrote:

Watch you don't blow the little Tannoys up! Wink

An underpowered amplifier that's clipping is more likely to damage your speakers than a more powerful amplifier that's not clipping.

PC > AVI Neutron Five 2.1

Sony NWZ-A847 64GB Walkman > Westone UM3x

DIB wrote:

When I briefly had a TX-8050, one thing that really irked me was when listening to internet radio (eg. Radio Paradise) was that it did  not give out track information (artist, title etc.) unlike the Marantz MCR603 for example. I wonder whether the TX-NR818 will?

Not something I'm really worried about personally, but I can see why it would bother some.  Too many other strengths in the amp for that and if anything I tend to use the radio function on the Apple TV instead.

It's here...and blimey it's big!

matthewpiano's picture

the record spot wrote:

It's here...and blimey it's big!

And the sound?? 

Rega RP3/Elys2 - Marantz CD63SE - Exposure 1010 - Dynaudio DM2/6

PC/Qobuz Hi-Fi - NAD C521BEE - Musical Fidelity V90HPA - Sennheiser HD595/Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO

So, here we are a few hours in, but very quickly realised that this amp is a bit of a keeper.  Build quality is impressive, much better in real life than the photos give lie to.  Sound quality is excellent; Spotify, CD, movies, TV, they all tick the boxes for me.  This is my first AV amp proper, but as they go, it's a pretty impressive one to start off on.  A very refined amp, that copes with pretty much anything that's been thrown at it so far and - most importantly - as good as any stereo amp I've heard in doing so.

For the money at its original price of £1000 this amp was a winner, now that the latest Onkyo AV range is out, the discount this amp is going for makes it a no-brainer.  Lack of Airplay support might be an issue for some, but in real terms for me, this is a minor issue.  There's enough going on with this amp in its streaming features to make it easy to overlook the Apple functionality.  In any case, my ATV3 offers it as standard.  This amp should be staying in situ for a good few years now and I think I can say that I'm finally happy with the setup!  

matthewpiano wrote:

And the sound?? 

Delighted with it Matthew; just listening to the Dead Can Dance at the moment and it captures the spirit of the music well.  This is a great amp.

matthewpiano's picture

the record spot wrote:

matthewpiano wrote:

And the sound?? 

Delighted with it Matthew; just listening to the Dead Can Dance at the moment and it captures the spirit of the music well.  This is a great amp.

Glad to hear it. excellent!

Rega RP3/Elys2 - Marantz CD63SE - Exposure 1010 - Dynaudio DM2/6

PC/Qobuz Hi-Fi - NAD C521BEE - Musical Fidelity V90HPA - Sennheiser HD595/Beyer Dynamic DT770PRO