Seems fair, as that would be £3900 rrp.
David @Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, Coventry
Thanks David. Out of interest, do you think my X power will struggle to drive them? Will of course be demoing myself, but you have spent more time with them with a variety of amps, and I know you like them with Cyrus.
Thanks for your help
Bedroom: Sonos ZP90, Cyrus DAC XP+, Cyrus X Power, KEF LS50's
Living Room: Linn Majik DS, Marantz UD7006, Arcam AV9/P7, PMC FB1i fronts, TB2i centre, DB1i rears
Hi Cno, I'm looking at some second hand 201/2's at the moment. Do you think £2600 for a perfect condition pair in gloss black complete with stands sounds like a fair price?
planning to demo them with my amp before buying (plus I need to convince my other half of course )
Like David, that looks fair, especially as the stands (Kef?) are included....how old are they?
I would have a few thoughts:
- Is this to replace the SA1s?....if so, it will be a very (very) different sound.
- Be careful they don't sound a little lean and forward with your Cyrus.....for my taste (may not apply), Kef Ref need a touch of warmth as in Electrcompaniet, Classe, Plinius, McIntosh and MF AMS. IMO. They should sound quite good (bi-amped) with your Arcam AV9/P7 + DS.
- Are you planning to change your amp, and if so, when....and are you happy to spend what it takes to drive them to a high level?
- If you're not changing your amp, I think the SA1s would sound nicer with your Cyrus, as they complement each other beautifully.
"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again." André Gide
It will drive them to a point, but they do need a bit of driving as they're not the most efficient speaker around (like most standmounts). Higher volumes will require something like the Mono X200's or Mono X300's, although you'll also reap benefits at more normal listening levels too.
thanks Cno. They are the Kef stands and they are two years old but haven't been used much. Original boxes and accessories etc.
yes they would be replacing the spendors. We are moving and the equivalent room they are moving into is much bigger and I don't think the spendors will cope. I know it's a different sound and I am looking forward to having a demo. No decisions made yet.
I would be open to changing the amp if they needed it, although it may have to wait a while. I wouldn't be against swapping them into the arcam system either and moving pmc onto the Cyrus. Who knows!
- It's no wonder you are tempted.
- ATM (IMO) both your systems are well balanced (Arcam + PMC is a great mix as well)
- IMO. The SA1s are no good, outside a fairly small room, without a sub (always an option)
- I think the PMC with the Cyrus might be a better temporary option....you can easily try this.
- You could do a lot worse than a second hand P7 (P777) to tri-amp the 201/2s
- If looking at a Stereo amp, you are probably looking at £3.5 - £6k (new)
- With the right amplification, these speakers are stunning....it's a matter of how warm you like them to sound, going from the neutrality of the likes of Bryston, going through a touch of warmth (Electro, Plinius, Classe) to Class A / Tubes (AMS, Pathos, Sugden, McIntosh, Icon Audio etc)
Thanks Cno. There was me thinking you would make it easier for me to become a reference owner
Either way I'm looking forward to having a demo
There's nothing easy about it.
Very revealing speakers take careful matching.....but get it right, and it's well worth the effort.....problem is, it's seldom cheap!
They have been sold to someone else now, so that makes it easier for now!
I dunno. I didnt have spousal permission anyway and we are moving house (so not exactly flush with cash), so it had the potential to cause more aggro than any speaker is really worth
I had the pleasure of a demo Wednesday and they were pretty awesome on the end of Harry's Susano!
I have a demo of the 201/2s and a 202/2c in a 5.1 very shortly, at a dealer in the South....
I hope the rest of my kit can do justice to them!?
I bet it did sound great. I'm almost glad he's sold them as it stops the temptation!
out of interest what dealer has the reference speakers in the south, I haven't found anywhere locally?
Was the Susano with full Kef Ref 5.1.....which models? Also, can we please have a little more detail...what did you listen to and did it include music?
Your Arcam Pre/Power will sound sublime with the Refs, and will drive them fine.....my AVR600 manages it, so yours will be a step up again. FWIW I think your Arcams are better than the Pioneer for HT, and much better for 2 channel.
If you listen to much 2 channel, you might want to go up the Ref chain a bit, for the Front L&R...but then you would also need to look at your source. If mostly HT use, the 201/2s will be great, as the Sub will deal with the bass.
Try and have the demo with the Arcam AV888/P777, or at the very least, AVR600....if this isn't the case, what will they be using?
Do report in with your findings
Yes you are right about that... the temptation!
I am only really looking now due to the trade in offer applicable to the Reference series...
The price he has achieved isn't that far off brand new!
It is Unilet Sound and Vision, i am just awaiting a specific date etc...
© 2013 Haymarket Publishing