Have your say & ask the experts!

Tech novice

5 replies [Last post]
jp1514's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3

Hello and thanks for having a read.

I have two problems that you could perhaps help me understand.My system is a 90's Technics 1060 model, I was listening to some Neil Young a few weeks ago before heading off to see him live and all was good. The next day I go to play the same tracks and the sound from both original 1060 speakers sounded dull / clouded / muffled / and there is no sound at all coming through the tweeters?Keeping in mind electronics is not my strong point I took the speakers to bits and everything looked OK but still sounded rubbish.So I hooked up a pair of old B&O speakers, unmatched to the amp (100w 6 Ohm amp v 30W 8 Ohm speakers), but they are keeping the sounds coming for now.What has happened? And while I was hunting for the replacement speakers I found an old Yamaha JA 1801 woofer cone stashed away and I'm sure it used to work but now it wont make a sound at all when hooked up to the Technics amp.I mean Neil Young is still playing so its not the end of the world and I had a bit of Band Of Skulls blasting tonight but I would love to fix these speakers.If you can help out then thanks for any advice or banter.Cheers,jp

__________________

Hey Hey My My

jp1514's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3
RE: Tech novice

Sorry about the formating... Or lack of

__________________

Hey Hey My My

matt49's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Apr 2013
Posts: 1524
RE: Tech novice

jp1514 wrote:

Hello and thanks for having a read.

I have two problems that you could perhaps help me understand.My system is a 90's Technics 1060 model, I was listening to some Neil Young a few weeks ago before heading off to see him live and all was good. The next day I go to play the same tracks and the sound from both original 1060 speakers sounded dull / clouded / muffled / and there is no sound at all coming through the tweeters?Keeping in mind electronics is not my strong point I took the speakers to bits and everything looked OK but still sounded rubbish.So I hooked up a pair of old B&O speakers, unmatched to the amp (100w 6 Ohm amp v 30W 8 Ohm speakers), but they are keeping the sounds coming for now.What has happened? And while I was hunting for the replacement speakers I found an old Yamaha JA 1801 woofer cone stashed away and I'm sure it used to work but now it wont make a sound at all when hooked up to the Technics amp.I mean Neil Young is still playing so its not the end of the world and I had a bit of Band Of Skulls blasting tonight but I would love to fix these speakers.If you can help out then thanks for any advice or banter.Cheers,jp

Hi jp,

Is there any chance your hearing has been dulled by the live concert? Before making a judgement on your hi-fi, I'd wait a few days. I find that after a live concert my hearing is quite poor.

beauty, eh

Matt

Electro's picture
Offline
Joined: 30 Mar 2011
Posts: 989
RE: Tech novice RE: Tech novice

matt49 wrote:

Hi jp,

Is there any chance your hearing has been dulled by the live concert? Before making a judgement on your hi-fi, I'd wait a few days. I find that after a live concert my hearing is quite poor.

beauty, eh

Matt

Good point Matt , excessively loud music at a live concert can dull the hearing for a few days and can cause permanent damage .

I go to a lot of live music performances and I always take some musicians attenuating earplugs with me in case the music is too loud .

They give 19 dB of attenuation but do not spoil the sound quality , in fact it makes the whole experience far better usually  Smile .

__________________

Electrocompaniet EMC1UP Cd player , EC 4.8 preamp , AW180 monoblock power amps , PMC PB1i speakers .

Linn LP12 Lingo , Ittok lv3 , Lyra Lydian , EAR834P .

"Everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler."     Albert Einstein .

matt49's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Apr 2013
Posts: 1524
RE: Tech novice RE: Tech novice

Electro wrote:

I go to a lot of live music performances and I always take some musicians attenuating earplugs with me in case the music is too loud .

They give 19 dB of attenuation but do not spoil the sound quality , in fact it makes the whole experience far better usually  Smile .

I've just started doing the same. I must admit to having felt a bit of a plank at first, but it's worth it to preserve your hearing.

jp1514's picture
Offline
Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 3
RE: Tech novice

My hearing still works after the gig and even after Silverstone two weeks ago.

But the speakers don't  excellent!

 

 

 

__________________

Hey Hey My My