4 posts / 0 new
Last post
michael hoy's picture
Spendor A3 versus Focal Chorus 816 WSE

I am looking to replace my speakers very soon and wondered about the above speakers.

Probably to go with a MF M1 Clic and M1 PWR or Quad 909.

If not the M1 Clic then it would be a Linn Majik DS.

Any thoughts or suggested would be apreceiated.

CnoEvil's picture
RE: Spendor A3 versus Focal Chorus 816 WSE

The two speakers are almost the polar opposite of each other.

I suspect it could be a synergy thing ie...

Linn DS/Quad + Focal

MF + Spendor

Are you selling the Unison Research......which should sound very nice with Focal?  :shifty:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

michael hoy's picture

Hi Cno,

I have the chance of some ex demo speakers, I like the Focal sound, but not heard this particular model.

Looks like I have missed the Quad 909, the online shop do not have it advertised now.

I was hoping to sell on all the current kit and go for the streaming option,.

The Cyrus + guru Qm10 combo does not go well in my current listening room and I am not a big fan of this style of valve amp (S6).

MF have an offer on at the moment with the M1 Clic and M1 Pwr, buy both and get £400 of the price (£1799).

Or I purchase a new Majik DS and wait to change my speakers, running the DS through the Cyrus.

CnoEvil's picture

When assessing my advice, you need to keep bearing in mind that I lean in the Valve rather than Cyrus direction.....and I couldn't sit in a room with Cyrus + Focal. 

DS + MF + Focal may be OK, (because you would be going with  the Class D amp, I would prefer Spendor)

MF + MF + Spendor (again, this is my preference)

I don't need to tell you, that you should hear what a Majik DS sounds like on a system of your choice, before getting a Clic (or anything else). The MDS does have digital volume for a power amp, but mine is only being used as a source.  :shifty:

"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass