Have your say & ask the experts!

Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

58 replies [Last post]
Callum J's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Posts: 45

At the moment i am listening to, and enjoying, my newly purchased box of tricks, which is the Marantz M-CR610. It is a very versatile and addictive machine which sounds good on the CD, Spotify, internet radio, and DAB options i have sampled so far; even my Yamaha cassette deck doesn't sound too bad at all.

But, i feel it has more to give in the sound quality department, especially after reading various reviews and comments on this forum and elsewhere. At present i am using 20+ year old Mission 760is which have served me well over the years, but i find the sound to be a bit muddy now, and lacking the clarity and detail i think the M-CR610 is capable of.

I intend to buy new speakers, but i am totally undecided which ones to go for. My problem is, that i live in the Western Isles of Scotland, with no hifi stores anywhere near me, with demoing  very difficult; so i will probably take a chance on speakers.

My room is small (4m x 4M) and full of stuff, so the only option is to mount them on the wall on small shelves, which is what i have been doing for years. My budget will be around the £200 mark, but i may pay more if there is a significant difference in sound quality. I listen mainly to rock, but i listen to bits and pieces of other stuff too, plus radio.

Any helpful comments and suggestions would be much appreciated by me from experienced users of this forum, to help me make up my mind.

I have shortlisted a few speaker options which may be suitable.

Dali Zensor i

Dali Lektor 1/2

Q Acoustics 2020i / 2010i

Montor Audio Bronze BR2 or RX1

Wharfedale 121 or 9.1

Boston Acoustics A25

Castle Knight 1, which i believe are half price just now.

Thanks.. Callum.

__________________

BI

 

 

__________________

BI

audioaffair's picture
Offline
Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 789
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

Hi Callum,

Deffinately, without any qusetion, go for the Zensor 1's - these are superb, and make a great sound with the Marantz, as they pack well above their weight, in terms of their price point, I don't think you will be too disappointed with these Smile

__________________

Nick Slater (Store Manager)

AudioAffair, now including Faithful Audio

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 7823
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

The Castle Knight 1s didn't work out for me in the end.  Lovely with simple acoustic material but too laboured sounding with other stuff.  Perhaps not the ideal match with the Marantz as an all-rounder.

The Zensor 1s should make a good match.  The 3s sounded good with the Marantz.

Ideally you need to go and audition.  Given that most hi-fi shops will have the 610 in, this shouldn't be too hard to organise.

__________________

Sources: Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Roksan Kandy K2 CDS Phono Stage Cambridge Audio 540P

Amplification: Exposure 1010

Speakers: Dynaudio DM2/6  Stands: Atacama Nexus 6 + Blok 300

Cables: Chord Co. and Merlin

Head-Fi System: PC/Spotify Premium - Rotel RCD965BX - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennhesier HD595

Listening to MUSIC!

BenLaw's picture
Online
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 5890
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

matthewpiano wrote:

The Castle Knight 1s didn't work out for me in the end.  Lovely with simple acoustic material but too laboured sounding with other stuff.  Perhaps not the ideal match with the Marantz as an all-rounder.

The Zensor 1s should make a good match.  The 3s sounded good with the Marantz.

Ideally you need to go and audition.  Given that most hi-fi shops will have the 610 in, this shouldn't be too hard to organise.

 

You're kidding right? After all you said about them?

__________________

HiFi   /   A/V   /   Bedroom

8009514's picture
Offline
Joined: 7 Jan 2008
Posts: 475
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

I'm extremely happy with the Wharfedale 121s on the end of my 603. Don't think there's much difference between the 610 and the 603.

 

__________________

Marantz MCR603, Maplin mutistrand OFC, Wharfedale 121s, AKG K44 • Pana TX-L39EM6B, Pana DMR-EX769, V+, Thatcable HDMIs, Tacima • Dansette and HMV wind up gramophone.

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 7823
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

BenLaw wrote:

matthewpiano wrote:

The Castle Knight 1s didn't work out for me in the end.  Lovely with simple acoustic material but too laboured sounding with other stuff.  Perhaps not the ideal match with the Marantz as an all-rounder.

The Zensor 1s should make a good match.  The 3s sounded good with the Marantz.

Ideally you need to go and audition.  Given that most hi-fi shops will have the 610 in, this shouldn't be too hard to organise.

 

You're kidding right? After all you said about them?

Yes, well....  They are capable little speakers and they sound gorgeous with some material but over a longer period I found them a bit congested sounding with certain material.  I think they need more power than the Marantz can give, and also somewhat punchier amplification.

 

 

__________________

Sources: Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Roksan Kandy K2 CDS Phono Stage Cambridge Audio 540P

Amplification: Exposure 1010

Speakers: Dynaudio DM2/6  Stands: Atacama Nexus 6 + Blok 300

Cables: Chord Co. and Merlin

Head-Fi System: PC/Spotify Premium - Rotel RCD965BX - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennhesier HD595

Listening to MUSIC!

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15320
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

matthewpiano wrote:

BenLaw wrote:

matthewpiano wrote:

The Castle Knight 1s didn't work out for me in the end.  Lovely with simple acoustic material but too laboured sounding with other stuff.  Perhaps not the ideal match with the Marantz as an all-rounder.

The Zensor 1s should make a good match.  The 3s sounded good with the Marantz.

Ideally you need to go and audition.  Given that most hi-fi shops will have the 610 in, this shouldn't be too hard to organise.

 

You're kidding right? After all you said about them?

Yes, well....  They are capable little speakers and they sound gorgeous with some material but over a longer period I found them a bit congested sounding with certain material.  I think they need more power than the Marantz can give, and also somewhat punchier amplification.

So the Marantz is going soon?

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 7823
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

I have sought help with my 'hi-fi problem' and I'm finally taking the informed advice of a small, independent dealer who seems to understand the root of my lack of satisfaction and has carefully demonstrated the sort of system that should bring it all to an end.  There is now a carefully worked out long-term plan.

You will see me commenting less about how kit sounds in future.

Anyway, back to the OP....

__________________

Sources: Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Roksan Kandy K2 CDS Phono Stage Cambridge Audio 540P

Amplification: Exposure 1010

Speakers: Dynaudio DM2/6  Stands: Atacama Nexus 6 + Blok 300

Cables: Chord Co. and Merlin

Head-Fi System: PC/Spotify Premium - Rotel RCD965BX - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennhesier HD595

Listening to MUSIC!

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15320
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

matthewpiano wrote:

Anyway, back to the OP....

Indeed. (But I want to know more about the dealer and his advice and that system so please start a new thread.)

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

Callum J's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Nov 2013
Posts: 45
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

Thanks for your comments folks, very helpful.

Just wondering, Nick Slater, Audioaffair, did the Zensor 1s sound considerably better than other speaker options you may have tried?

__________________

BI

Johnno2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Feb 2009
Posts: 303
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

Callum J wrote:

At the moment i am listening to, and enjoying, my newly purchased box of tricks, which is the Marantz M-CR610. It is a very versatile and addictive machine which sounds good on the CD, Spotify, internet radio, and DAB options i have sampled so far; even my Yamaha cassette deck doesn't sound too bad at all.

But, i feel it has more to give in the sound quality department, especially after reading various reviews and comments on this forum and elsewhere. At present i am using 20+ year old Mission 760is which have served me well over the years, but i find the sound to be a bit muddy now, and lacking the clarity and detail i think the M-CR610 is capable of.

I intend to buy new speakers, but i am totally undecided which ones to go for. My problem is, that i live in the Western Isles of Scotland, with no hifi stores anywhere near me, with demoing  very difficult; so i will probably take a chance on speakers.

My room is small (4m x 4M) and full of stuff, so the only option is to mount them on the wall on small shelves, which is what i have been doing for years. My budget will be around the £200 mark, but i may pay more if there is a significant difference in sound quality. I listen mainly to rock, but i listen to bits and pieces of other stuff too, plus radio.

Any helpful comments and suggestions would be much appreciated by me from experienced users of this forum, to help me make up my mind.

I have shortlisted a few speaker options which may be suitable.

Dali Zensor i

Dali Lektor 1/2

Q Acoustics 2020i / 2010i

Montor Audio Bronze BR2 or RX1

Wharfedale 121 or 9.1

Boston Acoustics A25

Castle Knight 1, which i believe are half price just now.

Thanks.. Callum.

__________________

when i listened to this box of tricks in th shop it was powering MA BX2 and it was enough for me to know I liked the sound of this unit, so I bought it, nuff said...however...

I didnt get the BX2 becuase I already have 3 sets of speakers !! ,  My MCR610 is currently driving some AE 109 to good effect,  

But the BX2 seemed to gel well  

 

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 7823
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

I should add that I am currently using my 610 with my old Diamond 9.1s and it is a very competent pairing.

__________________

Sources: Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Roksan Kandy K2 CDS Phono Stage Cambridge Audio 540P

Amplification: Exposure 1010

Speakers: Dynaudio DM2/6  Stands: Atacama Nexus 6 + Blok 300

Cables: Chord Co. and Merlin

Head-Fi System: PC/Spotify Premium - Rotel RCD965BX - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennhesier HD595

Listening to MUSIC!

Johnno2's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Feb 2009
Posts: 303
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

matthewpiano wrote:

I should add that I am currently using my 610 with my old Diamond 9.1s and it is a very competent pairing.

Nice to know you havnt dumped the little marantz yet,  Its a little belter isnt it party time! , the CD sounds superb, spotify a very close second by a thin whisker, however DAB is still DRAB,  ....its just about ok with dab for background music ans makes a good attempt and trying to sound nice but I have yet to hear DAB sound good on anything really, , the format is so flawed  

 

drummerman's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 4960
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

matthewpiano wrote:

I have sought help with my 'hi-fi problem' and I'm finally taking the informed advice of a small, independent dealer who seems to understand the root of my lack of satisfaction and has carefully demonstrated the sort of system that should bring it all to an end.  There is now a carefully worked out long-term plan.

You will see me commenting less about how kit sounds in future.

Anyway, back to the OP....

?

This seems never ending ... .

What is this 'long term plan' if I may ask?

regards

__________________

Pretty ... and pretty proud of it

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Joined: 23 Nov 2007
Posts: 7823
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

Yes, never ending indeed, hence my late decision to call upon some professional help and advice rather than taking pot luck on my own.  I do not want to crash the OP's thread and I'm not going to start writing reviews etc. for quite some time.  It will take me some time to build the system in question and I'm not sure it is in anyone's interests for me to write any more glowing reviews at the present time. 

__________________

Sources: Rega RP3/Elys 2 - Roksan Kandy K2 CDS Phono Stage Cambridge Audio 540P

Amplification: Exposure 1010

Speakers: Dynaudio DM2/6  Stands: Atacama Nexus 6 + Blok 300

Cables: Chord Co. and Merlin

Head-Fi System: PC/Spotify Premium - Rotel RCD965BX - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennhesier HD595

Listening to MUSIC!

drummerman's picture
Offline
Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 4960
RE: Speakers for Marantz M-CR610.

matthewpiano wrote:

Yes, never ending indeed, hence my late decision to call upon some professional help and advice rather than taking pot luck on my own.  I do not want to crash the OP's thread and I'm not going to start writing reviews etc. for quite some time.  It will take me some time to build the system in question and I'm not sure it is in anyone's interests for me to write any more glowing reviews at the present time. 

Thats ok but what is the system in question?

regards

__________________

Pretty ... and pretty proud of it