Have your say & ask the experts!

Speaker's cable for Monitor Audio RS8's with NAD C370

16 replies [Last post]
cobra11's picture

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade the speaker's cable for my Monitor Audio RS8's powered by a NAD C370 integrated amplifier,  without going too crazy in prizes. The room where I have my hifi is 3,5m x 3,5m, the cable I have at moment is a decent cable bought from Sevenoaks store few years ago but I can't remember the brand, nothing amazing anyway. Do you guys think is a good choice the Chord Rumour 2 or is worth spending the extra money for the Odissey 2? Also with these cables the speakers don't need to be bi-wired? I'm not an expert in electronic, I'm just looking for the best sound for my hears.

Many thanks 

plastic penguin's picture
Hi and welcome. I use the

Hi and welcome.

I use the Chord SilverScreen cable and is fabulously balanced. I would, also, stick with single wire.

Hope this helps... 

Amp: Leema Pulse; Source: Naim CD5i-2, Denon 260MKII, Pro-ject XP I; Speakers: PMC TB2i

Formerly known as plastic penguin

kev g's picture
RE: Speaker's cable for Monitor Audio RS8's with NAD C370

Before my current Chord cable, the Odyssey 2, I had the Rumour 4. The immediate differences for me, was that the Odyssey places the instruments & singers better within the whole soundstage. The drums, particularly the snare had more snap & attack. The sound is more open, more musical. I picked up the Odyssey second hand & am very pleased with the upgrade. Both cables are very good.

Hi-Fi - Naim UnitiLite (FM/DAB), Neat Motive SE2*, Chord Odyssey 2*, Tacima CS929.

A / V Samsung 40F6740, Sony BDV-E370*, Humax Foxsat HDR*

* Second Hand

kevinJ's picture

I would stick to a pure copper speaker cable, because all silver plated copper cables I tried made my RX8's too bright.

kev g's picture

Pop along to your local hi fi shop & maybe they would let you try some for a home demo.

Hi-Fi - Naim UnitiLite (FM/DAB), Neat Motive SE2*, Chord Odyssey 2*, Tacima CS929.

* Second Hand

kev g's picture

Double posting !

* Second Hand

Mr Beachams's picture

I got some 4 core Van Damme stuff somewhere in the loft....your more than welcome to give it a go if you can collect

Shanling CD-T80, Jolida JD1501P Hybrid, Morel 602's (Hand built & modified)

LESS IS MORE!

cobra11's picture

Thanks to all of you, I'll do few tests before going ahead.

ellisdj's picture

If your budget can stretch to it - I would strongly consider this speaker cablehttp://www.gspaudio.co.uk/spatia-speaker-cable.htm

Its really good stuff I mean really good, as are the interconnects as well.  Really lively, open transparent detailed sound

you can get on a free home demo as well before you buy not many companies do that / have that confidence.

Best of luck

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

cobra11's picture

Hey Kev, as you have a Chord Odissey cable can you tell me if it needs a bit of running time to settle? Or anyone has experienced the same? I just changed my speakers cable and immediately noticed a brighter and more open sound especially on the high and meddle range,  I agree that the soundstage is more open but at the same time sound like that the bass range is less punchy, maybe as a consequence of that. Cymbals, Hi-Hat, snare drum are very good but I miss the bass drum. Is that normal or it will change a bit after few days?  puzzled

Cheers 

kev g's picture

Hi cobra11, my Chord Odyssey was second hand so has had many hours of use beforehand. If your cable is new then yes I should think it will take some hours to settle in.
Listening to The Police cd, Synchronicity today the bass drum is a little flat on my system but I put that down to the smooth sound of my Arcam amp which could have more sparkle & detail.
I notice you also have another posting about interconnect cables - if after running in your speaker cable you hear no difference then perhaps changing the interconnects would help. Don`t know what you are using at the moment but there are many reviewed on this site. Once again maybe your local hi-fi shop would lend a few for a home demo.

* Second Hand

cobra11's picture

Thanks Kev I appreciate, the interconnect cable I have at moment is a basic QED but if there is room for improvement using something better I'll replace it. I'll run the Odissey for few weeks and then connect again the old flat bi-wired speaker cable I had before (which wasn't bad all together and was definitely delivering allot more punchy bass) and see the difference.

therecruiter's picture

The Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cable is very good indeed but so is the QED Revelation... Both very detailed with great bass depth and detailed/crisp highs and no harshness/brightness Smile

The Chord Carnival Silverscreen is still a great cable but the Odyssey 2 reveals even more & its worth the price increase Wink

Living room: iTunes to ATV 2 (via AirPlay) to Cyrus 8 DAC with KEF LS50 speakers - Tellurium Q Blue cables

Spare room: Marantz CR603, AirPlay, Monitor Audio RX2's - Chord Odyssey 2 cables

the record spot's picture

Try some 400+ strand OFC cable.  I used mine to replace some Audioquest Type IV (currently around £13/m).  So ca' canny before you go splashing the cash...my speaker cable cost me about £18 for 3 metres, all in.

Onkyo TX-NR818 / Tannoy DC4 speakers / Marantz UD-7007

AVI Lab Series & Marantz CD63 MkII KI CD players / various cables 

ellisdj's picture

Odyssey does take a bit to settle in

in normally only a few days

Meridian G61R, HD621, Bryston 9BSST

Optimised Audio PC - J River / JPlay / Custom Full Linear Power Supply

Panasonic 65VT65, Marantz UD7007, HIFi Racks Podium Reference

Monitor Audio GX100, GXC150, GXFX, SVS SB13 ULTRA (set with hard knee house curve)

JCAT USB and Sata, Graham Slee Spatia (SC) Graham Slee Lautus Digital / Analogue IC x 9

gixerhifi's picture

Hi,

Running RS8's from a NAD C270, Bi-amped with QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire all good for me cable is well run in over quite a few years now and depending on what is pre-amping the input can get a little bright in the first 30 mins of listening but overall, if it is running cinema froma Denon 4306 pre or vinyl from the Rotel rc06 I think the cable so far sounds great rather spending the cash on other parts of the system at the moment.

Denon 4306, Rotel RC06, NAD C272, Monitor Audio RS6 Fronts Light Oak, Gold Centre Light Oak, GRFX Rear Light Oak, QED Silver Anniversary Bi-wire (Bi-AMP  fronts, Bi-Wire Centre),Pioneer BDP-LX53, Denon TU-1800DAB, Sky HD+, Rega Planar 3 Roksan Chorus Smile, Wd TV Live and Onkyo NDS1 SL iPod Dock. Russ Andrews Yello and Merlin Taranula with a mix of Chord Co, Atlas, QED Wireworld interconnects.