Have your say & ask the experts!

speakers and amp advice - £10-20k budget for rock and dance music

156 replies [Last post]
aje1979's picture

hi

looking for advice on speakers and amps to audition for listening to mainly rock music and dance (house/techno), but also all other genres of music.

5X5m living room.

using digital source so only after amp and speakers with budget £10-20k. Any suggestions on what brands sound best for rock/dance music in this price range (used or new)?

many thanks

A

Overdose's picture
aje1979 wrote: hi looking for

aje1979 wrote:

hi

looking for advice on speakers and amps to audition for listening to mainly rock music and dance (house/techno), but also all other genres of music.

5X5m living room.

using digital source so only after amp and speakers with budget £10-20k. Any suggestions on what brands sound best for rock/dance music in this price range (used or new)?

many thanks

A

If I spent that sort of money on a system that only sounded good with rock and dance music, I'd be inclined to feel short changed.

Can any system costing this much really sound bad and if so, do you think it should?

Mac mini > AVI ADM9Ts

mpapo's picture
RE: speakers and amp advice - £1

http://www.genelec.com/products/8260a/

http://www.barefootsound.com/micromain27gen2.html

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/ib2s-a

I could understand if you're scared of the studio look, if you're not, these should all be wonderfull speakers.

Intel NUC with JRiver MC 18 --> Hegel H80 --> Kef LS 50

aje1979's picture
RE: aje1979 wrote:hilooking for

no wouldnt expect anything to sound bad for that money, just wondered if any brands in particular are better with that kind of music than others.. do listen to a wide variety of music but a lot of the time those genres. 

cheers

Overdose's picture

Then mpapos suggestion would be a good one.

Mac mini > AVI ADM9Ts

CnoEvil's picture
RE: Amp and speaker advice

What is your source and how do you like your music to sound.......have you heard any systems you like?

I take it you will be auditioning, so what brands do you have access to?

IMO You should be looking at Amps from the likes of :

- Electrocompaniet

- Plinius

- Classe

- Musical Fidelity

- Bryston 

- Bel Canto

And looking at Speakers from:

- Kef (Reference / R Series)

- PMC

- Proac

- Vienna Acoustics

- Art

- Kudos

- GamuT

FWIW I find my system of MF AMS 35i + Kef Ref 205/2 sounds great with everything. 

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

steve_1979's picture

PC > AVI Neutron Five 2.1

Sony NWZ-A847 64GB Walkman > Westone UM3x

Macspur's picture

Other amps to consider, if you've got access to them, Mackintosh, Accuphase, Luxman, Audio Research.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Accuphase E350 amp, Electrocompaniet EMC1UP CDP, Siltech 25th Classic anniversary 330I  XLR Harbeth Super HL5 on Sound Anchor Quod ELS63 stands, Chord Odessey2 SC.  Grado SR60I headphones.  HIFI RACKS Podium Reference rack.

matt49's picture

Given your styles of music, I'd be thinking about speakers first. Your kind of music is -- forgive me for saying it -- not especially subtle in texture, so the refinement and coherence that a good standmount speaker gives wouldn't be a priority for me. And you have a large room. So I'd be looking at floorstanders with substantial woofers (as there's a more or less direct correlation between frequency response and cone surface area). 

Of the more widely available brands, I'd look at KEF, B&W, Elac, Dynaudio, and Focal among others. The Vivid speakers are also great: they might not go quite as deep, but they're hugely dramatic (though expensive).

Then you'd want a big beast of an amp to drive the speakers. Something with enough power to render transients with massive dynamics in a realistic way. I heard the Krell S-550i a while ago: it's a real powerhouse. Bryston and Musical Fidelity might also be good. I'd strongly second Cno's recommendation of his Musical Fidelity AMS35i: the bass depth and control is phenomenal. A Devialet 170 will give you big bass too.

beauty, eh

Matt

lindsayt's picture

Overdose wrote:
] If I spent that sort of money on a system that only sounded good with rock and dance music, I'd be inclined to feel short changed. Can any system costing this much really sound bad and if so, do you think it should?

It depends what you call bad. How your scale of goodness to badness is calibrated.

I've heard systems costing that much, and a lot more, making a mess of certain reference test tracks - as in sounding worse on those tracks than other systems I've heard costing less than 10% as much. That to me is bad. Relatively bad. To other people these systems on those tracks would sound good, because they sound better than the cheaper systems they've heard - eg cheaper systems from the same brands.

aje1979's picture

yeah not sure about the studio look, but thanks for the suggestions. how do monitors get on with subtler music styles?

im literally totally ignorant to a decent system, coming from a £500 richer sounds Cambridge Audio system but split up with my g/f earlier this year and its time to treat myself... new car or quality sound system.. i know what i'd prefer!!! i'll keep my old banger and enjoy some music!

aje1979's picture

thanks for the short list.

how do you think i should split the budget, is it 50/50 speakers and amp??

definitely will be auditioning.. the bryston 4bsst2 sounds very tempting with matching preamp. basically just want to buy a setup that i will not have to ever change until im an oap! not sure what the alternatives for this amp are from the other brands you mentioned? ..and how this amp rates? reviews all seem favourable.

source will be sonos (spotify and lossless CD collection), initially direct from that and when i clear the debts from the amp and speakers maybe sort a DAC out!

thanks again for the list above.

lindsayt's picture
Do you want a system that

Do you want a system that will blow your socks off on recording after recording, regardless of looks, age, fashion?

Or do you want something that looks trendy, is small to medium size that will blow your socks off with the best recordings, but sound a bit meh with average recordings?

Covenanter's picture

aje1979 wrote:

yeah not sure about the studio look, but thanks for the suggestions. how do monitors get on with subtler music styles?

im literally totally ignorant to a decent system, coming from a £500 richer sounds Cambridge Audio system but split up with my g/f earlier this year and its time to treat myself... new car or quality sound system.. i know what i'd prefer!!! i'll keep my old banger and enjoy some music!

Buy the car and get out and meet a new woman!

Chris

CnoEvil's picture

- IMO. You should be looking to spend around 50% on the amp, but there are no hard and fast rules.....as it depends on the amp as well as the speakers.

- All the brands of amps that I have listed are excellent, with plenty of current to drive difficult speakers. You will only know which you prefer by going to a shop and listening to a couple of different models from each brand. Companies like MF and Plinius do a Class A version, which is my preference. Electrocompaniet are AB amps heavily biased in Class  A; Bryston (AB) are very clean, punchy and neutral; Classe is a touch more forgiving; Bel Canto are Class D and sound clean and detailed.

- There are certain matches with amp and speakers that I believe will work well:

eg. Bryston / Kef Reference; Electrocompaniet / PMC; Plinius / Proac; Classe / Vienna Acoustics; MF / Kudos; Bel Canto / Kef R Series

If you are putting a system of this quality together, you need (imo) a source which can keep up, otherwise it will be shown up. I would be looking at something like a Linn Majik DS. If you have £20k to play with, I think you should be looking at setting aside about £2k for the source, and then split the rest between amp and speakers.

FWIW. My system consists of Linn Majik DS + Musical Fidelity AMS 35i + Kef reference 205/2s, and with a bit of effort and haggling can be got for less than £10k. This I believe would give you what you are looking for......but don't take my word for anything, and try to listen to as many combinations as possible, as there is a lot of good stuff out there.

"Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again."  André Gide

DocG's picture

Covenanter wrote:

aje1979 wrote:

Buy the car and get out and meet a new woman!

Chris

We know you bought a new car recently, Chris. Anything else you want to share?  Tongue