12 posts / 0 new
Last post
admin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 11 hours ago
Joined: 04/09/2013 - 14:19
Posts: 51602
SONY BDP-S790 - New To Blu-ray, Help Needed!
English


After holding out for a few years I've decided to finally invest in a blu-ray player. I wanted to stick with Sony hardware (my Sony DVP-NS300 DVD player is still going strong after 11 years with no problems whatsoever) and after a bit of research I've decided to get a BDP-S790 but as a complete newcomer to the technology I wanted to ask the forum's advice on a few points which would help me a great deal:-

1. One of the essential requirements I have is multiregion playback of DVDs. If I purchase a player which is already hacked (through amazon for instance) would this affect the warranty?

2. There will be occasions when I'll want to use the player with an "old-style" cathode ray TV with the usual scart & Video/Audio-In connections, but is this possible?

3. In order to play SACDs through the S790 how should it be connected to my Rotel 1520 amp?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sizzers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 day ago
Joined: 20/06/2008 - 07:15
Posts: 1453
RE: SONY BDP-S790 - New To Blu-ray, Help Needed!

1: They’re not hacked. Personally I would buy from here: cheaper, and better after sales service should things go wrong.

2: Yes. There are HDMI-to-SCART converters available but I have no idea how they may perform.

3: Through the analogue outs.

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13719
RE: SONY BDP-S790 - New To Blu-ray, Help Needed!

Personally I would buy it from RGB, £200 plus the Spidermans and free multiregion upgrade, can that be beaten?  I don't think so.   Dirol

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: SONY BDP-S790 - New To Blu-ray, Help Needed!

Sizzers wrote:
1: They’re not hacked. Personally I would buy from here: cheaper, and better after sales service should things go wrong. 2: Yes. There are HDMI-to-SCART converters available but I have no idea how they may perform. 3: Through the analogue outs.

Thanks for the info Sizzers! With regards the machines being hacked I was thinking of buying through Marketplace where there are a few companies offering this. I'll also check out the HDMI to SCART converters you mentioned. I know there'll probably be a drop in quality when I have to use this, but needs must. Smile   

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: SONY BDP-S790 - New To Blu-ray, Help Needed!

gel wrote:

Personally I would buy it from RGB, £200 plus the Spidermans and free multiregion upgrade, can that be beaten?  I don't think so.   Dirol

 

That's certainly the best deal I've seen for this player but I've not come across RGB before. Are they a fairly mainstream company?

gel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 22/11/2008 - 19:22
Posts: 13719
RE: SONY BDP-S790 - New To Blu-ray, Help Needed!

ChesterG wrote:

gel wrote:

Personally I would buy it from RGB, £200 plus the Spidermans and free multiregion upgrade, can that be beaten?  I don't think so.   Dirol

 

That's certainly the best deal I've seen for this player but I've not come across RGB before. Are they a fairly mainstream company?

 

Yep, the name is RGB Direct, and they were named retailer of the year last year.  I have purchased from them before and they were very good.  

Home cinema system: LG 55EA980W OLED TV,  Pioneer Bdp-lx71, Pioneer Vsx-lx70, B&W FPM Series, B&W PV1.

Gadgets: iPad 2 and iPhone 4s. Dab radio: Roberts Dreamtime.

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: SONY BDP-S790

gel wrote:

ChesterG wrote:

gel wrote:

Personally I would buy it from RGB, £200 plus the Spidermans and free multiregion upgrade, can that be beaten?  I don't think so.   Dirol

 

That's certainly the best deal I've seen for this player but I've not come across RGB before. Are they a fairly mainstream company?

 

Yep, the name is RGB Direct, and they were named retailer of the year last year.  I have purchased from them before and they were very good.  

OK, thanks!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
SONY BDP-S790 Help Needed!

Sizzers wrote:
1: They’re not hacked. Personally I would buy from here: cheaper, and better after sales service should things go wrong. 2: Yes. There are HDMI-to-SCART converters available but I have no idea how they may perform. 3: Through the analogue outs.

 

I've gotten hold of a HDMI to SCART box but I'm having some problems. R2 DVDs play OK but Bluray discs and R1 DVDs have juddery movement when characters are in motion or when the camera pans across a scene. I assume it's either the box (which would be odd as the R2 discs are fine) or there are some settings on the bluray player that I need to change. Has anyone encountered similar problems when using an old-style TV or got an idea what might be causing the problem? (playback on the flat-screen HDMI ported TV is fine).

Sizzers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 day ago
Joined: 20/06/2008 - 07:15
Posts: 1453
RE: A Shot In The Dark?

 

How as your post ended up here??!! lol

Although I pointed out that there are HDMI to SCART converters available, I did state that I had no idea how they might perform (get out completed!) I don’t understand why you’re trying to play Blu-ray on your CRT, though: you said that you only wanted to play DVD’s on it.

Off the top of my head in “Screen Settings” you could try changing the “Output Video Format” settings to 480i/576i, and under “BD/DVD-ROM 1080/24p Output” set that to “Off”. I have no idea if this will actually work , but I’m full of a stinking cold and it’s the best my addled brain can think of at the mo.

Good luck!

Edit: What is the make/model of the TV.

 

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: SONY BDP-S790 - New To Blu-ray, Help Needed!

You can buy legitimate multi-region versions of this player through Richer Sounds.  I know because I bought one myself, a couple of weeks ago.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
RE: A Shot In The Dark? RE: A Shot In The Dark?

Sizzers wrote:

 

How as your post ended up here??!! lol

Although I pointed out that there are HDMI to SCART converters available, I did state that I had no idea how they might perform (get out completed!) I don’t understand why you’re trying to play Blu-ray on your CRT, though: you said that you only wanted to play DVD’s on it.

Off the top of my head in “Screen Settings” you could try changing the “Output Video Format” settings to 480i/576i, and under “BD/DVD-ROM 1080/24p Output” set that to “Off”. I have no idea if this will actually work , but I’m full of a stinking cold and it’s the best my addled brain can think of at the mo.

Good luck!

Edit: What is the make/model of the TV.

 

I intended to play bluray discs on it but it also had to have the ability to play multiregion DVDs to make me fork out for it. I'll try making the adjustments you mentioned and see if I can produce any changes. If the worst comes to the worst I'll ditch the old telly (a Toshiba 1450TB) and upgrade to a small modern LCD screen with HDMI inputs and then sell the converter unit.

 

PS. Hope you get well soon. Smile

Sizzers's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 day ago
Joined: 20/06/2008 - 07:15
Posts: 1453
RE: A Shot In The Dark? RE: A Shot In The Dark?

Well there is absolutely zero out there on your particular TV.

Perhaps it doesn’t like/accept 60hz but I have no way of confirming this. There are CRT TV’s many years old which do happily play NTSC discs, but perhaps your’s isn’t one of them.

Again, good luck and hope you get it sorted

P.S Thanks for the "get well" but I still feel like s***! lol

Log in or register to post comments