Have your say & ask the experts!

Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

125 replies [Last post]
davedotco's picture
Offline
Joined: 24 Apr 2013
Posts: 2330
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

MajorFubar wrote:

davedotco wrote:

MajorFubar wrote:

davedotco wrote:

 

Are you volunteering for the job of walking the OP through the basics of budget hi-fi? Brave man if you are.

As a dealer I had to do tis many times in admitably less complex times. It was occasionally fun but mostly tedious and rarely worthwhile.

 

So you don't think that £400 could have got him a better system 'used'?

EDIT:

There's a Marantz 603 on eBay for £280 BIN which I bet would would wipe the floor with his Denon. It's a £500 five-star award winner.

That leaves £120 for a decent pair of used book-shelf speakers. And at that price there's probably an army of them.

What the hell is it with people on this forum, why on earth are you challenging me on something that I never even touched on, do you have reading problems or something? Neither the OP nor I touched on used equipment, how on earth would you know what I think.

C'mon Major, FFS.

Wind your neck in.  All I've said s that IMO he could have spent the same money on a used system which he would probably have been happier with.  Chrissake first post I made on the thread was supposedly agreeing with what you'd already posted. Sorry I've really not got the time to try and back-track and find out how it somehow ended in conflict.

If you are going to reply to my posts them simply reply to what I say rather than what you think I say and we will get along just fine.

__________________

We do so many shows in a row,

And these towns all look the same,

We just pass the time in our hotel room

And wander 'round backstage,

Till the lights come up, and we hear that crowd,

And we remember why we came.

Jackson Browne

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Joined: 3 Mar 2010
Posts: 3108
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

davedotco wrote:
If you are going to reply to my posts

Don't worry I won't bother in future.  Not even when I think I'm agreeing with you. It's really not worth the hassle of reading through your ensuing insults and rants.

__________________

Main system: Mac Mini 2011 • HRT II+ DAC • Lacie 3TB Cloudbox NAS • Marantz PM66 KI • EB Acoustics EB2

In storage: Thorens TD160 (no cart) • Cyrus 2 + PSX • Cyrus tuner • Technics SL-P777 • Marantz CD63KIS • Nakamichi DR-1

lindsayt's picture
Offline
Joined: 8 Apr 2011
Posts: 973
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

davedotco wrote:

Personally, given the apparent lack of experience of the OP, I think that buying secondhand would get him in even more of a pickle than he is now.

Not if he bought the same kit as someone more knowledgeable in this area, who just happened to have put together a decent £400 amp and speaker combination - and if he then followed their advice on setting it up.

 

Why reinvent the wheel? Why not tread the same path that someone else has already successfully gone down?

littlened's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Posts: 24
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

Why would the marantz have been a much better unit? The extra power output? Bearing in mind I only paid for £199 for the Denon, so it was good value for money.

ID.
ID.'s picture
Offline
Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Posts: 1319
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

littlened wrote:

Why would the marantz have been a much better unit? The extra power output? Bearing in mind I only paid for £199 for the Denon, so it was good value for money.

Some might argue that if it doesn't perform to expectations and you aren't happy with it, then that is a moot point. Unfortunately I have no experience with the Denon, so couldn't say whether you were expecting too much. The Marantz, on the other hand, I've heard a number of times and think it is quite good. I liked it beter with B&W CM1s than B&W 685s. In either case, even the Marantz might not be suitable if you like your music really loud.

__________________

Desk-Fi: Mac Mini - NuForce Icon HDP - Fostex PM0.4n - Audio Technica ATH900x - Sennnheiser HD595 - Grado SR80i

Bedroom system: Esoteric RZ-1 - PMC DB1i / iPod Classic - Onkyo NDS1000 - Firestone Audio FUBAR IV

littlened's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Posts: 24
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

ID. wrote:

littlened wrote:

Why would the marantz have been a much better unit? The extra power output? Bearing in mind I only paid for £199 for the Denon, so it was good value for money.

Some might argue that if it doesn't perform to expectations and you aren't happy with it, then that is a moot point. Unfortunately I have no experience with the Denon, so couldn't say whether you were expecting too much. The Marantz, on the other hand, I've heard a number of times and think it is quite good. I liked it beter with B&W CM1s than B&W 685s. In either case, even the Marantz might not be suitable if you like your music really loud.

 

From what I was aware both the marantz and the denon shared some internal components?

BigH's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3299
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

littlened wrote:

Why would the marantz have been a much better unit? The extra power output? Bearing in mind I only paid for £199 for the Denon, so it was good value for money.

 

Not if you are not happy with the sound and have to buy a sub, you are probably better off buying a better system in the first place. Decent subs are not cheap and are difficult to integrate. I would take yours back to Superfi and check out the Marantz 603 with your speakers, I really think your amp. is not upto driving the Wharfedales to the level you want.

littlened's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Posts: 24
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

I only bought the speakers from Superfi, I bought the Denon from a company called 'hyperworld' on ebay that sell refurbished items, not sure what their returns policy is, especially since its not broken.

I wonder if I may be better changing the speakers instead? Is it possible to get 4 ohms speakers?

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15314
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

I would also suggest slightly more efficient speakers than the Wharfedale 121s. (Their sensitivity is quoted by Wharfedale as 86dB).

I would suggest trying something like the Boston Acoustics A26 (89dB) that also have 6.5" bass/mid drivers (compared to 5" for the '121s) for a little extra bass oomph.

That 3dB extra sensitivity should make an audible difference and the 6.5" bass/mid drivers might 'fill out' the bass enough to not need a sub.

I still wouldn't 'hammer' the set-up though. To do that you should be looking at 80 - 100 wpc amps. (And the quoted maximum SPL of the Wharfedale 121s is still 'only' 95dB which - I suspect - isn't going to be loud enough for you even with a bigger amp.)

 

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

omnibeard's picture
Online
Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Posts: 436
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

littlened wrote:

I only bought the speakers from Superfi, I bought the Denon from a company called 'hyperworld' on ebay that sell refurbished items, not sure what their returns policy is, especially since its not broken.

I wonder if I may be better changing the speakers instead? Is it possible to get 4 ohms speakers?

I tried the Denon with Dali Zensor 1 and didn't like the result, but then I tried it with a bunch of my older speakers, all of which can be had for little money on eBay. The Denon drove Mission 751, 752 and Acoustic Energy AE109 perfectly well to high volume. The 751 are beautifully made speakers, I picked up a mint pair on eBay with stands and cables for under £100 (can't remember exact figure) and if you can stomach floorstanders then the AE109 would be worth a punt, they go loud!

It's a relatively cheap way of having a fiddle. Ooh er.

__________________

www.last.fm/user/omnibeard

chebby's picture
Online
Joined: 2 Jun 2008
Posts: 15314
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

littlened wrote:

I wonder if I may be better changing the speakers instead? Is it possible to get 4 ohms speakers?

4 Ohm speakers will be harder to drive. (They'll demand more power.)

__________________

Marantz M-CR603 • Rega R3 loudspeakers • AirPlay • Apple iPad Mini • Apple iPhone 5 • Apple iMac • Apple AirPort Extreme 802.11N • Humax HDR-Fox T2 • Panasonic TX-L32D25B • Sony BDP-S390

littlened's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Posts: 24
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

chebby wrote:

littlened wrote:

I wonder if I may be better changing the speakers instead? Is it possible to get 4 ohms speakers?

4 Ohm speakers will be harder to drive. (They'll demand more power.)

 

I don't fully understand, how can the Amp output 65w per channel @ 4ohms, but only 35w per channel at 8 ohms?

BigH's picture
Offline
Joined: 29 Dec 2012
Posts: 3299
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

littlened wrote:

chebby wrote:

littlened wrote:

I wonder if I may be better changing the speakers instead? Is it possible to get 4 ohms speakers?

4 Ohm speakers will be harder to drive. (They'll demand more power.)

 

I don't fully understand, how can the Amp output 65w per channel @ 4ohms, but only 35w per channel at 8 ohms?

 

Different Ohms! Ohms is electrical resistance.

littlened's picture
Offline
Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Posts: 24
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

chebby wrote:

I would also suggest slightly more efficient speakers than the Wharfedale 121s. (Their sensitivity is quoted by Wharfedale as 86dB).

I would suggest trying something like the Boston Acoustics A26 (89dB) that also have 6.5" bass/mid drivers (compared to 5" for the '121s) for a little extra bass oomph.

That 3dB extra sensitivity should make an audible difference and the 6.5" bass/mid drivers might 'fill out' the bass enough to not need a sub.

I still wouldn't 'hammer' the set-up though. To do that you should be looking at 80 - 100 wpc amps. (And the quoted maximum SPL of the Wharfedale 121s is still 'only' 95dB which - I suspect - isn't going to be loud enough for you even with a bigger amp.)

 

 

Can anyone confirm that the Boston Acoustics A26 might be a better speaker?

ReValveiT's picture
Offline
Joined: 2 Aug 2010
Posts: 128
RE: Some new gear, can't say I'm impressed

OP,

 

If you're expecting the kind of 'bass' produced from a cheap '80s / '90s Sony, with all the 'mega bass', bass EQ's etc. all turned to the max, from REAL Hi-Fi, then I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed with whatever you buy.

 

My advice : re-train your ears to appreciate a much more realistic sound from proper Hi-Fi, or go back to your old system and its overblown bass.

 

Smile