57 posts / 0 new
Last post
matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8349
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

the record spot wrote:

MP, don't start chopping and changing again!  Take it from me, I've done side by side comparisons and the difference between a £1500 CD player in the shape of the AVI and two players in the £500-600 region are minimal and not worth the difference.  Especially between the Marantz SA7001-KI and the AVI.  

 

You can easily pick up a cheap secondhand player that won't have a noisy mechanism.  Try the Denon DVD-3930 which was an excellent universal player and which you'll get for under £150 and very likely mint.  Sound quality was again excellent and build couldn't be faulted.  It was £1000 in 2007.  Picture quality is good too.  However I would still recommend the likes of the aforesaid SA7001-KI, or the standard model.

Don't worry RS, I'm not going back there again.  The amp and speakers are set in stone, with the CD player the only thing in flux.

I'm questioning how important SACD playback is.  Thinking back to when I did have it (with the Sony mentioned above and also the Denon DCD1500AE) I never thought it wildly better, and I think it is more important to have a decent CD player that does a good job with standard red book (or whatever approximate of the standard today's discs are).

The 63SE is sounding lovely this afternoon.  Certainly more natural than the Roksan - less falsely rounded and with more space in the sound.  It shows the difference between recordings more than the Roksan as well.

Chebby's Exposure suggestion is good, but I'm not entirely sure it is any better (or even quite as good) than the CD63SE.

For now I'm going to enjoy the 63SE for a while and take time to think about my next move.  Will be busy with work for the next few days for a start off. The machines that really stand out are the 63 range, and the DCD720AE I had (actually a rather fine CD player).  No rush to do much, and little inclination to spend big on a CD player again when things on a budget can sound this good.

 

Rega RP3/Elys 2/TT PSU - Rega Apollo R - Rega Brio R - Dynaudio DM2/6 

Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

 

Kamikaze Bitter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 09/02/2014 - 11:14
Posts: 39
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

The cd63se was a benchmark in its time - cd players started out pretty ropey, and the cd63se was one of the first, if not the first, affordable player that sounded really great. So if it sounded great back then why wouldn't it sound great now? Does hifi sound better now than it did? Not a lot to my ears - if at all.

DIB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 21/05/2009 - 21:07
Posts: 2353
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

Creek/ProJect/SBT/Epos

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8349
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

Kamikaze Bitter wrote:

The cd63se was a benchmark in its time - cd players started out pretty ropey, and the cd63se was one of the first, if not the first, affordable player that sounded really great. So if it sounded great back then why wouldn't it sound great now? Does hifi sound better now than it did? Not a lot to my ears - if at all.

I think you may have a point.  I suspect many manufacturers have lost real interest in continuing to make CD better now that it is no longer flavour of the month.  The CD63SE came at a time when CD was a major priority for manufacturers and companies like Marantz were working it as hard as they could.

Rega RP3/Elys 2/TT PSU - Rega Apollo R - Rega Brio R - Dynaudio DM2/6 

Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

 

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8349
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

DIB wrote:

There is a standard Marantz SACD SA-7001 on Ebay at the moment MP, quite local to you.

 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marantz-SACD-SA-7001-Player-Audio-hi-fi-SACD-CD-Silver-EISA-award-winner-/221419922460?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item338da7e41c

 

.

Thanks DIB.  I had seen that but it would be rushing into it a bit too much at this stage.  I've done too much of that in the past.

Rega RP3/Elys 2/TT PSU - Rega Apollo R - Rega Brio R - Dynaudio DM2/6 

Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

 

Freddy58's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 24/01/2014 - 21:11
Posts: 1051
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

Kamikaze Bitter wrote:
Does hifi sound better now than it did? Not a lot to my ears - if at all.

 

An interesting comment, something I've pondered on Wink

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

matthewpiano wrote:

I think you may have a point.  I suspect many manufacturers have lost real interest in continuing to make CD better now that it is no longer flavour of the month.  The CD63SE came at a time when CD was a major priority for manufacturers and companies like Marantz were working it as hard as they could.

This is exactly 'it' in a nutshell really. Between let's say 1983 and 1990, CD was the technology for HiFi manufacturers to be seen to invest in, and huge strides were made in a short period of time. For the next five or six years, a plateau was sort of reached and what we saw instead of huge technological advances in the electronics was improved build-quality at the top-end, class-leading chip-sets filtering down to cheaper models and novel refinements like outboard DACs, different kinds of D-A conversion like Bistream and MASH, and even changes to the reading mehanism, like Pioneer's Stable Platter Mechanism (which I often feel never got half the interest it deserved).

These days it's old technology that no-one wants and the manufacturers are similarly indifferent to it tbh.

cannibal_ox77's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 16 hours ago
Joined: 22/02/2013 - 12:15
Posts: 178
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

the record spot wrote:

I picked up a near mint CD-63KI the other week for throwaway money.  Rather nice it is too so I've two excellent dedicated CD players that deliver in spades.  I like the Marantz, but it does sound a tad too robust in the bass at times.  

The AVI player (which was three times the price of the Marantz on release) has all the body of the Marantz player, but retains more control of the music across the board.  Both are hugely enjoyable for different reasons and the Marantz player is a real legend.  

 

Just out of interest TRS, how does CD playback on the UD7007 fare against your other cd players?

the record spot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 13/10/2007 - 14:36
Posts: 9252
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

The 7007 is a little brighter, but still very enjoyable.  I'll do a better comparison at the weekend when I'm around more however. 

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4627
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

matthewpiano wrote:

MUSICRAFT wrote:

matthewpiano wrote:

I will probably look out for a tidy 2nd hand Marantz SACD player over the next few weeks.

Hi Matthew

If you want to go with Marantz then try and get a hold of an SA1 SACD player otherwise I wouldn't really bother.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

What would you suggest otherwise Rick?

Regards, M.

Hi Matthew

I think what you need is a source that is also going to inject some zip, zest and energy and not one which is softy,softy in comparison which will just mean a sidewards step. Hence why an SA1 for the Marantz SACD player route. Alternatively a Teac/Esoteric DV-50 or for just a CD player then a Marantz CD17KI MK2 Signature.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Musicraft (Derby) - Specialist Hi-Fi, AV & Multimedia dealer

cse's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 03/03/2008 - 11:51
Posts: 473
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

The Marantz PearlLite is excellent for classical, which is all I listen to. It has SACD playback and is very quiet and reliable. I 'downgraded' to it from Densen and although it lacks some of the detail, is a much more satisfying listen overall. Over time I have grown to appreciate it even more (2 years) as it makes all genres i.e. instrumental, chamber, orchestral and voice sound wonderful. In fact I have stopped worrying about improving on it as a source and have just enjoyed buying Cd's and listening to music. The USB facility is also good for BBC 3 Cd Review downloads.

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8349
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

cse wrote:

The Marantz PearlLite is excellent for classical, which is all I listen to. It has SACD playback and is very quiet and reliable. I 'downgraded' to it from Densen and although it lacks some of the detail, is a much more satisfying listen overall. Over time I have grown to appreciate it even more (2 years) as it makes all genres i.e. instrumental, chamber, orchestral and voice sound wonderful. In fact I have stopped worrying about improving on it as a source and have just enjoyed buying Cd's and listening to music. The USB facility is also good for BBC 3 Cd Review downloads.

Hi cse.  Thank you very much for your thoughtful and useful reply.  I really appreciate it.

The Pearl Lite looks like a great option and I will consider it and may see if I can find one over the next few weeks.  Interesting that you prefer it to the Densen you had, particularly as you listen to a lot of the same music as me.

 

Thanks again. Smile

Rega RP3/Elys 2/TT PSU - Rega Apollo R - Rega Brio R - Dynaudio DM2/6 

Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

 

Covenanter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 20/07/2012 - 10:16
Posts: 1365
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

matthewpiano wrote:

cse wrote:

The Marantz PearlLite is excellent for classical, which is all I listen to. It has SACD playback and is very quiet and reliable. I 'downgraded' to it from Densen and although it lacks some of the detail, is a much more satisfying listen overall. Over time I have grown to appreciate it even more (2 years) as it makes all genres i.e. instrumental, chamber, orchestral and voice sound wonderful. In fact I have stopped worrying about improving on it as a source and have just enjoyed buying Cd's and listening to music. The USB facility is also good for BBC 3 Cd Review downloads.

Hi cse.  Thank you very much for your thoughtful and useful reply.  I really appreciate it.

The Pearl Lite looks like a great option and I will consider it and may see if I can find one over the next few weeks.  Interesting that you prefer it to the Densen you had, particularly as you listen to a lot of the same music as me.

 

Thanks again. Smile

If you can, listen to the SA8005 too.  I'm very pleased with mine so far and it's a bit newer technolgy than the Pearl Lite. 

Chris

Marantz PM8005 / SA8005 / KEF R700s / AKG K702

matthewpiano's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 23/11/2007 - 22:23
Posts: 8349
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

Thanks Chris.  Ultimately I'd love a Pearl-Lite or an SA8005 but realistically it isn't going to happen financially.

I've been playing a wide range of music over the last couple of days and I definitely prefer the CD63SE to the Roksan, in my system and for my tastes.

I will either be seeking out a nice CD63MkII KI-Signature or considering a CD6005.  At a push I might go for the Exposure 1010 CD player BUT I'm not convinced it is worth the extra over the Marantz options. The CD63SE will then replace the gradually dying NAD C521BEE in my headphone system with the MF V90HPA.

Only outside option is another DCD720AE, which I know to be a very good player and which I often used in preference over the Roksan previously.

Rega RP3/Elys 2/TT PSU - Rega Apollo R - Rega Brio R - Dynaudio DM2/6 

Chord Co. Chameleon VEE3/Rumour 2 - Musical Fidelity V90-HPA - Sennheiser HD595

 

MajorFubar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 03/03/2010 - 00:01
Posts: 3556
RE: Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

cse wrote:
....classical, which is all I listen to...

Blimey. Really?

Pages

Log in or register to post comments