160 posts / 0 new
Last post
busb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 14/06/2011 - 20:08
Posts: 928
RE: Rega Elicit R

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

stevebrock wrote:

I am quite interested in the phono stage part as heard Rega have made improvements to it so it should be better than the Brio R phono stage!

Excited!

 

 

Hang on! How do you compare phono stages when one amp costs £500 and the t'other is £1500?

Amps don't make a difference do they    :grin:  Blum 3  :roll:

(why are some smileys showing properly and some not?)

 

It all part of the charm of this forum - you never quite know what's going to work & what ain't :exmark:

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15906
RE: Rega Elicit R

drummerman wrote:

Would also like to see a before/after of a record cleaning machine.

regards

My local second-hand record shop (I used it until I gave up vinyl a couple of years ago)  has a twin deck Keith Monks cleaner (regularly replenished and maintained by KM themselves as they are local too).

I always had any purchases cleaned before leaving the shop (£2 an LP at the time with a brand new anti-stat sleeve thrown in).

I also used to take in any brand new LPs to have them cleaned before playing them.

The main difference was that I never experienced any static from the cleaned LPs. (Even after many plays.) In terms of appearance I would get rainbow colour reflections off the surfaces when moving the LP around near a light or a window. Before cleaning this rarely happened and the LP would look dull (even new ones). 

I don't know about 'before and after' affects on sound quality because I never played a record until it had been cleaned.

The (very) few records that had any unwanted noises after cleaning were taken back. I didn't tolerate pops or clicks.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11160
RE: Rega Elicit R

plastic penguin wrote:
Don't all amps sound the same? :twisted: :shame:

Only to those whose minds are closed to the possibility Smile

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

chebby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 02/06/2008 - 09:40
Posts: 15906
RE: Rega Elicit R

David@FrankHarvey wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:
Don't all amps sound the same? :twisted: :shame:

Only to those whose minds are closed to the possibility Smile

You aren't condoning the idea that amps should sound different surely?

The ideal (as I understand it)  is that more money buys more power,  better longevity/reliability, better build quality, lower distortion and closer component tolerances etc. but not fundamentally different characteristics in terms of sound.

I would hope that  more expensive amps converge to an ideal (rather than diverge because of added 'seasoning').

There should only be a Rizla paper between the sound of two very expensive amps because the two manufacturers can demonstrate that they understand how to get as close to that 'ideal' as possible.

I would only expect some divergence between much cheaper designs that - by their nature - have to be compromised to some extent.

"We are currently awaiting the loading of our complement of small lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment and hygiene during the journey."

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11160
RE: Rega Elicit R

chebby wrote:
You aren't condoning the idea that amps should sound different surely?
In many ways, I suppose they shouldn't. But they do.

Quote:
The ideal (as I understand it)  is that more money buys more power,  better longevity/reliability, better build quality, lower distortion and closer component tolerances etc. but not fundamentally different characteristics in terms of sound.

I would hope that  more expensive amps converge to an ideal (rather than diverge because of added 'seasoning').

The presentation of more 'expensive' amplification is just as diverse as the budget amplifier arena. I would say that this goes to show that the differences between amplifiers is partly down to the way manufacturers do things, but also the way they want them to sound - rather than because their abilities are being stretched, as some state.

Quote:
There should only be a Rizla paper between the sound of two very expensive amps because the two manufacturers can demonstrate that they understand how to get as close to that 'ideal' as possible.
True. I'm sure all manufacturers try and extract the maximum amount of detail from the source for your listening pleasure - then it is just down to how they want to present it to you.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

drummerman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 18/01/2008 - 21:12
Posts: 5024
RE: Rega Elicit R

chebby wrote:

drummerman wrote:

Would also like to see a before/after of a record cleaning machine.

regards

My local second-hand record shop (I used it until I gave up vinyl a couple of years ago)  has a twin deck Keith Monks cleaner (regularly replenished and maintained by KM themselves as they are local too).

I always had any purchases cleaned before leaving the shop (£2 an LP at the time with a brand new anti-stat sleeve thrown in).

I also used to take in any brand new LPs to have them cleaned before playing them.

The main difference was that I never experienced any static from the cleaned LPs. (Even after many plays.) In terms of appearance I would get rainbow colour reflections off the surfaces when moving the LP around near a light or a window. Before cleaning this rarely happened and the LP would look dull (even new ones). 

I don't know about 'before and after' affects on sound quality because I never played a record until it had been cleaned.

The (very) few records that had any unwanted noises after cleaning were taken back. I didn't tolerate pops or clicks.

Saw your post, wanted to reply ... and then forgot. - Old age and all that.

It seems expensive but then good quality sleeves are at least 20 to 30p/pc.

I just wonder if one of these expensive machines can do a better job than me.

I'll get in contact with Movement Audio and see if they have one ...

regards

NHL's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/11/2009 - 07:57
Posts: 544
RE: Rega Elicit R

HiFi Choice August will review it!

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4532
RE: Rega Elicit R

NHL wrote:

HiFi Choice August will review it!

Hi NHL

I am sure that they'll also like the Elicit-R Smile

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16263
RE: Rega Elicit R

Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

jerry klinger's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 26/06/2010 - 10:13
Posts: 350
RE: Rega Elicit R

I don't know the Leema Pulse but I've been listening to the Elicit-R for the past day or so.

It certainly reflects the sound of the input source - so the attributes mentioned could be as much the CD player as the amp. Anyway it's a very informative and enjoyable amp - really a very smooth & sophisticated Brio-R with a lot more power! I'd say it takes what's good about the Roksan Caspian M2 and adds a more insightful midrange - possibly at the expense of a little bass tightness, though the bass is always available. Could be my 15 yr old speakers.

Not sure I can get to grips with the volume steps though. There's an explanation of that in the manual but I didn't really get it. 

David@FrankHarvey's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 12 hours ago
Joined: 27/06/2008 - 11:03
Posts: 11160
RE: Rega Elicit R

Oddly enough Jerry, I was about to post something similar today.

I had a listen to a various Boards Of Canada tracks yesterday, and did notice that bass was a little over warm, possibly due to a little bit of looseness in the bass. Having said that, I have only heard it with the Spendor D7's and ProAc D30R's so far, so it could be that these two speakers are just a little too much for it to control. Maybe D18's and A6r's are more its ideal limit - we'll see what I get to try other speakers out in due time.

DavidF @FrankHarveyHiFi, Coventry.

"Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light"

MUSICRAFT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 23/03/2009 - 20:38
Posts: 4532
RE: Rega Elicit R

plastic penguin wrote:

Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used pre amp of the Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

Anyway onto test the Elicit-R's power amp next using an SCA2 pre amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16263
RE: Rega Elicit R

MUSICRAFT wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used pre amp of the Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

Anyway onto test the Elicit-R's power amp next using an SCA2 pre amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not saying it has leanness, just conveying what WHFI review said. They also said the Pulse is lean but I've not come across this in the 3 years I've owned it.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3882
RE: Rega Elicit R

plastic penguin wrote:

MUSICRAFT wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used pre amp of the Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

Anyway onto test the Elicit-R's power amp next using an SCA2 pre amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not saying it has leanness, just conveying what WHFI review said. They also said the Pulse is lean but I've not come across this in the 3 years I've owned it.

Ignore the review - go listen yourself!

 

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16263
RE: Rega Elicit R

stevebrock wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

MUSICRAFT wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Just in case there's people not received the August edition, I won't spoil it but...

It seems, despite not hearing it, I know this amp already. Certainly the first test is almost a mirror image of the Pulse with description such as "slight leanness, and a hint of brightness to the treble...". What adds weight is the fact WHFI have chosen the Naim CD5si and Totem speakers as an ideal match. That sounds familiar.

Spooky.

Hi plastic penguin

I've used pre amp of the Elicit-R with ATC's SCM100ASL Profesional monitors and i've not come across a slight leaness or a hint of brightness.

Anyway onto test the Elicit-R's power amp next using an SCA2 pre amplifier.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Not saying it has leanness, just conveying what WHFI review said. They also said the Pulse is lean but I've not come across this in the 3 years I've owned it.

Go listen yourself!

 

No need TBH.

WHFI wrote in the (Elicit) review: "This is one of the best stereo amps we've heard at this price..."

While the Pulse review ends by stating: "...look for sources and speakers that will complement its fleet-footed, detailed and dynamic sound, you can put a confident foot on the ladder out of the mainstream and into the exceptional."

All that for £750. Smile

 

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Pages

Log in or register to post comments