12 posts / 0 new
Last post
cschuang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 30/07/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 14
Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

It has been a while since my last post here. Smile

I recently purchased a used Rega Brio-r (8 months old) to pair with my Usher S-520. All this while, I have been using Denon AVR1911 to drive the usher for stereo listening. The Rega Brio-r is definitely an upgrade that I have been waiting for; to have a stereo amp. First impression was really great; liked the size, the simplicity, more detail & wider soundstage even at a low volume (normally never pass the 9 o'clock).

At times, I do notice there's a bit of brightness; especially on vocal's high note. What could be causing this tad of brightness? :quest:

 

Here are my set-up:

Macbook (mostly lossless) > UA100 (USB DAC; ES9023 chip) > Wireworld Luna mini jack-RCA > Rega Brio-r (with DIY Lapp power cable) > Cable Talk 3.1(single) > Usher S-520.

 

What could be the weakest link to this set-up?

Anyone experience Rega Brio-r with Usher S-520? Are this set-up: bright + bright?

I'm also looking at new DAC. Any suggestion for DAC with slightly on a warmer side. Budget 200GBP.

Would a standard multistrand OFC (>500 strands) speaker cable would be able to tame this brightness?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. :clap:

Cheers. CSC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
Heard and love the S520s with

Heard and love the S520s with Arcam amps. I would say probably what you're hearing is more clarity and better definition. Although not heard the Brio, all I've read and told about it is that it's very similar to Arcam tonally.
I'm not familiar with your sources so it'll be a case, I'm afraid, of trial and error. However, I'd be reluctant to change the cables first as, IMO, the differences are pretty subtle.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Exoticsounds's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 6 days ago
Joined: 01/01/2013 - 16:59
Posts: 69
RE: Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

If possible try to audition these small usb dacs, one of them might do the trick for you: Audioquest DragonFly, HRT microStreamer and Meridian Explorer DAC

audipheonix's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 22/09/2011 - 18:27
Posts: 114
RE: Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

Demoed Usher S520 with Exposure 2010s Sounded excellent.It had abig sound with great sounstage, but never bright. One of the best budget speakers.The source was a Marantz Cd5004. I think You must try some different source.Are you mainly listening from mac then i would say a good usb dac as suggested, or if you have cd then a dicent cdp like marantz. Try this and see if the brightness remains. By the way did you audition the speaker before buying? I see you where using it with your AVR was it bright then ?

Amplifier : Yamaha AS500.

Speakers: Kef Q100.

Source: Pc, Portable Media Player and DVD Player.

Headphones: Sennheiser, Creative & Altec Lancing

Loads of different Cables.

cschuang's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 30/07/2010 - 06:56
Posts: 14
RE: Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

Thanks for all ya reply.

In my country, Malaysia, almost all hifi retailers do not provide trial service, therefore almost impossible to test out equipment at home. :cry: 

Yes, I'm thinking of purchasing a DAC, been looking at entry level ie. Audioquest Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, Schiit Modi, ODac, Arcam rDAC & V-Dac II, but would be taking the risk whether it would suits my current set-up. Anyone have similar gears and your recommendation. I plan to buy online from UK stores (ie Custom-cable, FutureShop). Rega DAC is out of budget for now. :cry:

My main source is from Macbook (which also supports mini toslink out), I do not have any CDP yet.

My previous set-up of S-520 + Denon AVR1911 were less detail, narrow soundstage and less engaging, and sometimes a bit harsh on the high too. Did demo the S-520 but not with the same AVR as they do not carry both brands. I do know Usher S-520 is slightly on the clinical side; more detail, engaging and most of all best budget speaker. The retailer claimed S-520 is more of a neutral speaker. I'm not an expert though. :?

On a separate issue, the Cable Talk speaker cable I have is quite old, bought by my uncle in mid 90's. Am thinking to change to new cable. Looking at Chord Carnival Silver Screen, Supra ply 3.4/s, Black Rhodium Twist or Standard OFC cable. Any suggestions? :grin:

Cheers. CSC

 

 

 

James7's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 2 hours ago
Joined: 01/06/2011 - 16:35
Posts: 204
RE: Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

A question of synergy I am afraid. I have never heard Rega and Usher together but am not surprised by your findings. Usher make excellent speakers but better suited to a richer-sounding amp (Arcam for example) while the Rega is quite lean and better suited to speakers with a fuller presentation like Q Acoustics. Cables can help - avoid Chord in this case and check out the Black Rhodium you mention: even better though more expensive would be Tellurium Q Blue, which might seem like overkill but could well be the answer. Experiment with room positioning of your speakers too (bringing them a bit further into the room, etc). 

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2205
RE: Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

cschuang wrote:

Thanks for all ya reply.

In my country, Malaysia, almost all hifi retailers do not provide trial service, therefore almost impossible to test out equipment at home. :cry: 

Yes, I'm thinking of purchasing a DAC, been looking at entry level ie. Audioquest Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, Schiit Modi, ODac, Arcam rDAC & V-Dac II, but would be taking the risk whether it would suits my current set-up. Anyone have similar gears and your recommendation. I plan to buy online from UK stores (ie Custom-cable, FutureShop). Rega DAC is out of budget for now. :cry:

My main source is from Macbook (which also supports mini toslink out), I do not have any CDP yet.

My previous set-up of S-520 + Denon AVR1911 were less detail, narrow soundstage and less engaging, and sometimes a bit harsh on the high too. Did demo the S-520 but not with the same AVR as they do not carry both brands. I do know Usher S-520 is slightly on the clinical side; more detail, engaging and most of all best budget speaker. The retailer claimed S-520 is more of a neutral speaker. I'm not an expert though. :?

On a separate issue, the Cable Talk speaker cable I have is quite old, bought by my uncle in mid 90's. Am thinking to change to new cable. Looking at Chord Carnival Silver Screen, Supra ply 3.4/s, Black Rhodium Twist or Standard OFC cable. Any suggestions? :grin:

Cheers. CSC

 

 

 

You can do what you want to, but regarding cablel do not add silver cables at the mix, will accentuate even more the brightness in your system. 

Try 100% cooper cables first, i've Super Classic 2x4.0mm, and love the sound of my system.

Try to put the the mains cable that came with the amp back on, and get a better DAC.

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
RE: Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

cschuang wrote:

Thanks for all ya reply.

In my country, Malaysia, almost all hifi retailers do not provide trial service, therefore almost impossible to test out equipment at home. :cry: 

Yes, I'm thinking of purchasing a DAC, been looking at entry level ie. Audioquest Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, Schiit Modi, ODac, Arcam rDAC & V-Dac II, but would be taking the risk whether it would suits my current set-up. Anyone have similar gears and your recommendation. I plan to buy online from UK stores (ie Custom-cable, FutureShop). Rega DAC is out of budget for now. :cry:

My main source is from Macbook (which also supports mini toslink out), I do not have any CDP yet.

My previous set-up of S-520 + Denon AVR1911 were less detail, narrow soundstage and less engaging, and sometimes a bit harsh on the high too. Did demo the S-520 but not with the same AVR as they do not carry both brands. I do know Usher S-520 is slightly on the clinical side; more detail, engaging and most of all best budget speaker. The retailer claimed S-520 is more of a neutral speaker. I'm not an expert though. :?

On a separate issue, the Cable Talk speaker cable I have is quite old, bought by my uncle in mid 90's. Am thinking to change to new cable. Looking at Chord Carnival Silver Screen, Supra ply 3.4/s, Black Rhodium Twist or Standard OFC cable. Any suggestions? :grin:

Cheers. CSC

 

 

 

You can do what you want to, but regarding cablel do not add silver cables at the mix, will accentuate even more the brightness in your system. 

Try 100% cooper cables first, i've Super Classic 2x4.0mm, and love the sound of my system.

Try to put the the mains cable that came with the amp back on, and get a better DAC.

Strangely I'm still using silver speaker cables with my system and it sounds fine. (Months ago I had banana plugs fixed to one end on the SilverScreen - still in the box).

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

Hi-FiOutlaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 20/04/2011 - 23:03
Posts: 2205
RE: Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

plastic penguin wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

cschuang wrote:

Thanks for all ya reply.

In my country, Malaysia, almost all hifi retailers do not provide trial service, therefore almost impossible to test out equipment at home. :cry: 

Yes, I'm thinking of purchasing a DAC, been looking at entry level ie. Audioquest Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, Schiit Modi, ODac, Arcam rDAC & V-Dac II, but would be taking the risk whether it would suits my current set-up. Anyone have similar gears and your recommendation. I plan to buy online from UK stores (ie Custom-cable, FutureShop). Rega DAC is out of budget for now. :cry:

My main source is from Macbook (which also supports mini toslink out), I do not have any CDP yet.

My previous set-up of S-520 + Denon AVR1911 were less detail, narrow soundstage and less engaging, and sometimes a bit harsh on the high too. Did demo the S-520 but not with the same AVR as they do not carry both brands. I do know Usher S-520 is slightly on the clinical side; more detail, engaging and most of all best budget speaker. The retailer claimed S-520 is more of a neutral speaker. I'm not an expert though. :?

On a separate issue, the Cable Talk speaker cable I have is quite old, bought by my uncle in mid 90's. Am thinking to change to new cable. Looking at Chord Carnival Silver Screen, Supra ply 3.4/s, Black Rhodium Twist or Standard OFC cable. Any suggestions? :grin:

Cheers. CSC

 

 

 

You can do what you want to, but regarding cablel do not add silver cables at the mix, will accentuate even more the brightness in your system. 

Try 100% cooper cables first, i've Super Classic 2x4.0mm, and love the sound of my system.

Try to put the the mains cable that came with the amp back on, and get a better DAC.

Strangely I'm still using silver speaker cables with my system and it sounds fine. (Months ago I had banana plugs fixed to one end on the SilverScreen - still in the box).

The OP mentions that is combo, that includes Rega Brio R, is a bit harsh, and can be caused by his DAC or/and amp speaker combo or/and his cables or/and room acoustics..?! :?

My experience regardering silver cables and Rega Brio R with Dynaudio Excite speakers, is that the mix is to bright to the arsh side, maybe can be the case in the OP combo...

 

Rega RP6/Goldring Elite>Clearaudio Basic Plus

Synology NAS>Rega DAC>Pathos Classic One MKIII>Dynaudio Excite X12

plastic penguin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 28/04/2008 - 10:56
Posts: 16435
RE: Rega Brio-r + Usher S-520 sounds bright?!

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

plastic penguin wrote:

Hi-FiOutlaw wrote:

cschuang wrote:

Thanks for all ya reply.

In my country, Malaysia, almost all hifi retailers do not provide trial service, therefore almost impossible to test out equipment at home. :cry: 

Yes, I'm thinking of purchasing a DAC, been looking at entry level ie. Audioquest Dragonfly, Meridian Explorer, Schiit Modi, ODac, Arcam rDAC & V-Dac II, but would be taking the risk whether it would suits my current set-up. Anyone have similar gears and your recommendation. I plan to buy online from UK stores (ie Custom-cable, FutureShop). Rega DAC is out of budget for now. :cry:

My main source is from Macbook (which also supports mini toslink out), I do not have any CDP yet.

My previous set-up of S-520 + Denon AVR1911 were less detail, narrow soundstage and less engaging, and sometimes a bit harsh on the high too. Did demo the S-520 but not with the same AVR as they do not carry both brands. I do know Usher S-520 is slightly on the clinical side; more detail, engaging and most of all best budget speaker. The retailer claimed S-520 is more of a neutral speaker. I'm not an expert though. :?

On a separate issue, the Cable Talk speaker cable I have is quite old, bought by my uncle in mid 90's. Am thinking to change to new cable. Looking at Chord Carnival Silver Screen, Supra ply 3.4/s, Black Rhodium Twist or Standard OFC cable. Any suggestions? :grin:

Cheers. CSC

 

 

 

You can do what you want to, but regarding cablel do not add silver cables at the mix, will accentuate even more the brightness in your system. 

Try 100% cooper cables first, i've Super Classic 2x4.0mm, and love the sound of my system.

Try to put the the mains cable that came with the amp back on, and get a better DAC.

Strangely I'm still using silver speaker cables with my system and it sounds fine. (Months ago I had banana plugs fixed to one end on the SilverScreen - still in the box).

The OP mentions that is combo, that includes Rega Brio R, is a bit harsh, and can be caused by his DAC or/and amp speaker combo or/and his cables or/and room acoustics..?! :?

My experience regardering silver cables and Rega Brio R with Dynaudio Excite speakers, is that the mix is to bright to the arsh side, maybe can be the case in the OP combo...

 

The reason for mentioning it is because they don't come much brighter than Leema and RS6 combo, yet the balance seems... well, balanced.

Amp; CDP; Turntable; Tuner; Speakers

matt49's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2013 - 12:07
Posts: 2015
cschuang wrote:At times, I do

cschuang wrote:
At times, I do notice there's a bit of brightness; especially on vocal's high note. What could be causing this tad of brightness?

"Brightness" does suggest a synergy issue, as others have suggested: maybe the amp/speaker combo is making that part of the frequency range too prominent.. But it might be worth analysing your experience a bit more. (I don't mean to suggest you're not hearing the phenomenon, by the way.)
Have you tried playing a 20Hz to 20KHz frequency sweep and measuring the output with an SPL meter? This might show up a hump somewhere in the 250Hz to 1KHz band.
Alternatively it could be coloration produced by the speakers.
A third possibility is that you're hearing roughness, rather than brightness. Roughness generated by crossover distortion in Class AB amps can be perceived at these frequencies.
Matt

The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves ...

stevebrock's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 13/11/2009 - 11:16
Posts: 3937
I think with the Brio R and

I think with the Brio R and more so the Elicit R is that your hearing a more accurate reproduction of the music.

So it all comes down to synergy really! I have learnt this along the way.

The Elicit R is incredibly transparent & open, you hear the music just as it was recorded which to me is the ultimate.

Slightly off-topic but I am gobsmacked at how well the Elicit R controls speakers - push the volume up - the clarity is fantastic. Man, i love this amp

Michell / Icon Audio / Kudos

 

Log in or register to post comments